Any way to spoof the radar cruise/pre-collision system? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I know this could be a contentious topic, so I'd request that we keep it focused on the tech topic, not the wisdom/philosophy/legality/liability, etc.

Is there a way to "spoof" the controller in the front of the land cruiser that drives the radar cruise and pre-collision system?

I've tested unplugging the sensor in the grille, and the result is a bunch of warning lights in the dash. I want to have the same result as disconnecting the sensor (disable the system) without the dash lights.

I'm wondering if there is anything similar to the resistor people use in airbag systems that would eliminate warnings? Or if a simple electronic device can be hacked together to simulate the "normal" state signal.

I am not very skilled with electronics, but can I use a multimeter to measure a "normal" signal at the connector and then use something to simulate the signal that means "the sensor is plugged in and everything is normal" all the time?

Thanks in advance for tech advice.

1153B482-784C-4804-BBDA-1C3AEC35A7DF.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 10.41.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 10.56.08 AM.png

Last edited:
Have you looked to disable in techstream? Does it have a fuse?

Good calls. Let me look. I was defaulting to caveman thinking, your approach sounds a lot smarter! Thanks for the redirect.

Along the original line of thinking, do any of you know what thee legend/codes on the sensors and ECUs are: SGND, IGB, LRDD, LRRD, LGND?

Last edited:
Two fuses seem related to the pre-collision seatbelts, but none that look like they'd disable the millimeter wave radar system (or if they did, they't take a lot with them):

14​
ECU-IG N0.1
5​
ABS, VSC, tilt and telescopic steering, gateway ECU, shift lock system, cruise control system, pre-collision seat belt, headlight cleaner, multi-display assembly, driving position memory system, power door lock system
28​
PSB
30​
Pre-collision seat belt

I don't have quick access to Techstream to check there.

Have no idea what the signal lines look like, but the SGND is a ground and the IGB is a power lead (see the post above) into the radar sensor.

Is there a way to "spoof" the controller in the front of the land cruiser that drives the radar cruise and pre-collision system?

Thanks in advance for tech advice.

Why not just turn it off by pushing the right hand stalk on the steering column forward and holding for 3 seconds? This turns off the radar, but keeps "normal" cruise control available.

IH8 the radar cruise feature, so it has become a habit for me every time I engage cruise control, I hold the right stalk pushed forward for 3 seconds until the radar turns off. Easy peasy.

Or am I missing something?

HTH

@gaijin - I didn't explain why - I'm going to install a metal grille from @kelly saad and it will interfere with both radar and PCS systems that are driven off the millimeter wave radar sensor.

I don't use, or like, either system, so I'd like to eliminate the systems and the sensor.

Updated:

Pin. Code. Purpose
1. LGND. line to ground
2. SGND. sensor ground
3. LRDD. Millimeter wave radar sensor input signal. Pulse generation with ignition on.
4. LRRD. Millimeter wave radar sensor output signal. Pulse generation with ignition on.
5. IGB. ignition switched 12v power

I don't have an oscilloscope, so I think I'm a bit stalled.

Last edited:
Just curious why you want to disable this system? Are you running one of those mesh grills?

EDIT: nevermind you answered as I was posting. Just me, but I would rather have a properly working safety system than a "cool" looking grill.

@gaijin - I didn't explain why - I'm going to install a metal grille from @kelly saad and it will interfere with both radar and PCS systems that are driven off the millimeter wave radar sensor.

I don't use, or like, either system, so I'd like to eliminate the systems and the sensor.

Got it. If you want to disable the PCS, then I have no comment 🤐

Just curious why you want to disable this system? Are you running one of those mesh grills?
Well, I am running a mesh grille and they work fine through it. When I get my steel one from landcruisergrilles, I will need to disable it.

By the way, Toyota themselves have precautions about using these systems with lifted vehicles:

PCS² may not recognize a vehicle or a pedestrian in the following conditions and environments: When vehicle angle/stance is changed, for example if the vehicle is towing or is loaded down with weight over the specified limit, or is lifted or lowered When a preceding vehicle cuts in front of you suddenly, abruptly steers, accelerates or decelerates, or is offset compared to your vehicle If the vehicle is modified or if the vehicle cannot be driven in a stable manner, such as when the vehicle has been in an accident or is malfunctioning If the rear-most surface of the preceding vehicle is small, low or irregularly high When visibility to the front is poor due to inclement weather (rain, snow, fog, dust raised by wind, sandstorm, blizzard, etc.) If the camera and/or radar (TSS-P and TSS 2.0) or laser (TSS-C) is misaligned or being blocked (by a wiper blade, etc.) When a pedestrian or vehicle suddenly appears in front of the vehicle When something is on the sensor such as bugs, dirt, ice, a sticker, etc. When driving on an up or down slope. (and so forth)

"Why not just turn it off by pushing the right hand stalk on the steering column forward and holding for 3 seconds? This turns off the radar, but keeps "normal" cruise control available."

Whaaaaaat? I lived with the cruise not working at all because the replaced radar sensor had not been calibrated and the dealer would not calibrate it due to the TJM bumper I installed (I eventually got them to do it). I didn't know there was an option to run without the radar and in "old school" mode. That nugget of knowledge would have been useful a year ago! :bang:

Here is an interesting document:

All 2016 – 2018 model year Land Cruiser and 2018 model year Sequoia, Tacoma, and Tundra vehicles are equipped with a Pre-Collision System (PCS), also known as Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) as part of Toyota Safety Sense. The Pre-Collision System (PCS) defaults its operating mode to ON after each ignition (IG) cycle. In some driving conditions, such as extended off-road use, driving with tire chains in adverse conditions, towing another vehicle, or when your vehicle is being towed, drivers should operate the vehicle with PCS OFF. Drivers may also prefer to maintain this setting after each IG cycle. If this functionality is requested, follow the procedure in this Service Bulletin to disable the PCS mode reset after each IG cycle.​

Doesn't help me, but may be helpful for those of you with '16-18 rigs.

Just out of curiosity, why won't the Techstream procedure help you?

I read the statement you quoted to mean that it is standard on the models listed - I seem to recall that it was adopted earlier on some Lexus models (which wouldn't be mentioned in a Toyota procedure).

I can try to see if my '13 Land Cruiser has a this setting and if it works.

I got the dreaded "PCS" dash light and "Check Cruise Control system" in the center display on my 2014. I have been researching this problem because it appeared the other day when I was on the highway. It appeared shortly after I was using cruise control. Now my cruise control will not work. I just learned from above posts that pushing the stalk forward for 3 seconds will disable the active radar cruise control. I am at work and unable to drive my truck until later to test if this will fix my problem and possibly cancel the "PCS" dash light once deactivated? I have tried disconnecting my battery and the dash light still came on.
I have an appointment at the Toyota dealership for Friday morning 05/08/20. My mechanic scanned the OBDII and it says I need to have the PCS Millimeter alignment performed etc. Sounds like something the dealership will also diagnose and tell me I need a new radar sensor or best case scenario the will align mine. Either way it's going to cost me $$$. Should I bother going to the dealership? I would like to fix this myself with help form the Forum. The truck runs fine and I never really need or use cruise control. Just an annoying dash light!
I have also read and watched videos about a recall for the Tundra's where Toyota's fix is to place a neoprene square with adhesive backing over the top and back of the radar unit in the grill to keep moisture out of the unit. WTF? Sounds like a bandaid. Recall says if you have modified your truck in any way they will not be liable. The make you sign a form and place a sticker on your dash unless vehicle is replace back to stock specs. Not happening!
Also read that car washes are to blame for forcing water in to the unit and causing errors and damage to the system. This may be doing, I go through a local car wash several times a week because I have unlimited car washes for a monthly fee. Oooops!

Anyone else have this problem? Would love some help that doesn't involve the dealership replacing my unit and costing me and arm and a leg.

PS. I had a problem with my intermittent wipers / rain sensor. Forum member said they just unplugged the little wire for the rain sensor and it solved the problem. I did it and now it functions great. Intermittent systems works, just not the rain sensor. If only I could disconnecting the RADAR unit in the grill would work too but aa posted above, it just gives you more dash lights.

I haven't been able to find a solution. Hopefully they can just recalibrate yours and get you back in good shape.

On my model year this sensor is for the pre collision system and the radar cruise control. I don't like or use either. Like others, I manually override the radar with the stalk when (on the very rare occasion) I use the cruise control. I'm not a fan of the pre collision system. I'd love to disable both and not have dash warning lights.

PS. I had a problem with my intermittent wipers / rain sensor. Forum member said they just unplugged the little wire for the rain sensor and it solved the problem. I did it and now it functions great. Intermittent systems works, just not the rain sensor. If only I could disconnecting the RADAR unit in the grill would work too but aa posted above, it just gives you more dash lights.
[/QUOTE]
I had a windshield replacement and intermittent auto wipe was affected. Took it back and the framework that the sensor plugs into had been bent. They straightened it out at the glass shop and it’s been good all winter. The pad on the windshield had visible voids when seen from outside the truck. I’d try pressing the pad against the glass from inside to see if it is the problem. The only times that I’ve had PCS issues was wet snow or mud on the emblem, I’d make sure that it’s not dirty first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom