Suspension suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i bet you are right!! Do i just lift it out turn it slightly, and drop it down? Thanks!!!
Yep, but make sure the distributor is fully seated, with the end of the shaft engaging the oil pump slot. It's worth giving it a shot.

If you want to spend more money, call Deaver leaf springs and suspension and have them build you custom leaf packs with the ride characteristics you personally want, then have whatever shock company you prefer build you some shocks according to the ride you want.
Deaver is NOT making springs for the 40’s at the moment. Called them 2 weeks ago. Not sure if it is because of the covid thing. They said they don’t have that kind of metal 🤷🏻‍♂️

I watched a pretty good video that explains why this picture is incorrect. But I have no idea which is true. Check it out. Either way it was a helpful video for me.

That is a good video. Seems that the diagram that everyone uses is most likely wrong. Thanks for sharing!

So I recently have been doing a lot of research on this as well. Seems like some OME Springs give a rough ride because they are designed to have a heavy load on the vehicle. But they have heavy, medium, and light springs. If you are not planning on putting a lot of gear on it then go with light springs. @cruiseroutfit can explain it better and get you what you need. I did not go with him because I did not want OME shocks. Read they were not as good as Bilstein.

I had read a lot of good things about pro comp Springs with Bilstien shocks and decided that was the route I wanted to take. Justin @ redline had me all set up for this but they were out of stock on springs for a few months and I needed a corona virus quarantine project now. 🤦🏻‍♂️

so long story short I pieced my own kit together and am still 1 spring short of being able to finish. Lots of frustration and chasing missing pieces that I didn’t know I needed or thought I could re-use. If I could do it over again I would wait for redline to just ship me out a complete kit.

Deaver is NOT making springs for the 40’s at the moment. Called them 2 weeks ago. Not sure if it is because of the covid thing. They said they don’t have that kind of metal 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yea they will in a custom application but not a production application.

40 springs are 2.5” wide, Deaver can do 2” wide. So if you are customizing your hangers no problem.

Cheers

So I recently have been doing a lot of research on this as well. Seems like some OME Springs give a rough ride because they are designed to have a heavy load on the vehicle. But they have heavy, medium, and light springs. If you are not planning on putting a lot of gear on it then go with light springs. @cruiseroutfit can explain it better and get you what you need. I did not go with him because I did not want OME shocks. Read they were not as good as Bilstein....

It all depends on the load and setup of the Cruiser. With added weight I absolutely prefer the OME shocks, they are in fact built to handle some load. If you're building a lighter weight 40, Bilsteins are a good match (and we stock those too @ Cruiser Outfitters, I have had them on one of my 40's with OME springs for 15+ years fwiw). Price wise they are similar to the OME shocks, perhaps a few bucks less.

We can also set up a suspension with everything (springs, shackles, pins, bushings, u-bolts, hardware, etc) except shocks, pretty common setup for those that have a shock option we don't offer, so something other than OME, Bilstein, Dobinson, Tokico, etc.

Let us know if we can help @ Cruiser Outfitters. These parts are generally always on the shelf and ready to ship!

FOX Shox 🤘

That is a good video. Seems that the diagram that everyone uses is most likely wrong. Thanks for sharing!

good vid. My 2017 tundra rides smooth as silk. Itis way smoother than even my hundy. I went out and looked at rear leaf springs. They are very long with shackles at 45 degee angle. I think that black and white chart is opposite of correct. I may move my hanger mount a few inches toward my shackles.

has anyone ever seen stainless steel extended shackles?

It all depends on the load and setup of the Cruiser. With added weight I absolutely prefer the OME shocks, they are in fact built to handle some load. If you're building a lighter weight 40, Bilsteins are a good match (and we stock those too @ Cruiser Outfitters, I have had them on one of my 40's with OME springs for 15+ years fwiw). Price wise they are similar to the OME shocks, perhaps a few bucks less.

We can also set up a suspension with everything (springs, shackles, pins, bushings, u-bolts, hardware, etc) except shocks, pretty common setup for those that have a shock option we don't offer, so something other than OME, Bilstein, Dobinson, Tokico, etc.

Let us know if we can help @ Cruiser Outfitters. These parts are generally always on the shelf and ready to ship!

are you aware of stock leaf springs that are light, medium, or heavy like @KimoTheBJ40 says? Do you sell 5” shackles that wont rust?

are you aware of stock leaf springs that are light, medium, or heavy like @KimoTheBJ40 says? Do you sell 5” shackles that wont rust?

Stock Toyota leaf springs that are light, medium, heavy? Or are you looking for a "stock height" leaf spring avail in L, Med, Hv?

Any cad/zinc coated extended shackle should be fine in the elements. We have them for the 80+ Cruisers w/18mm pins and could get a batch made for the E-80 w/15mm hardware.

Last edited:

You had mentioned you had extended shackles that gave you about a 1 inch lift. I was thinking you could go back to stock length shackles and get either the OME 2.5inch or pro comp 2.5 inch springs and be VERY close to your current ride height. If you do that then you have the option of the heavy, medium, or light OME Springs. Seems like the pro comp only come in the equivalent of light springs.

i re-read the email and i think I understand. Do you sell OME springs that are light front and rear and 2.5” lift? Since i dont run a top, spare, tire, or and aftermarket gear, i think i need lighter springs. Do you agree that light are better than medium in my case? If so, will you give me a price for just the 4 springs? I have some stock length grease-able shackles and Graphite infused bushings. Those will work well, right?

Last edited:
i re-read the email and i think I understand. Do you sell OME springs that are light front and rear and 2.5” lift? Since i dont run a top, spare, tire, or and aftermarket gear, i think i need lighter springs. Do you agree that light are better than medium in my case? If so, will you give me a price for just the 4 springs? I have some stock length grease-able shackles and Graphite infused bushings. Those will work well, right?

OME offers 6 front and 6 rear springs for the 40 Series, all in the 2-2.5” range. They differ by spring rate and free camber. Yes, you sound like a candidate for lighter springs.

Pricing is current here:
We would still want to have a conversation re specific spring variants.

We would need to know the specs of your bushings (OD being the only variable that matters) but assuming they are stock 1967 bushings with 25mm OD, no... most/all aftermarket springs use larger bushings (which are preferred) and you’ll need to get bushings to suit. Give us a call at the shop if you would like to proceed, 801-563-1277

I did OME med heavy +2" springs with Bilstein 5100's It rode rough until the first time I wheeled it and it loosed up amazingly well after 2 hours of running some trails. If I had just driven flat roads it would still be like driving a washboard. I suggest you take your new ride out and "flex it" before passing judgement on its ride.

I did OME med heavy +2" springs with Bilstein 5100's It rode rough until the first time I wheeled it and it loosed up amazingly well after 2 hours of running some trails. If I had just driven flat roads it would still be like driving a washboard. I suggest you take your new ride out and "flex it" before passing judgement on its ride.

We recommend this regularly, even adding some sand bags to the rear temporarily to get them to settle in.

I bought fox shocks. The ID of the bushing in the eyelet is 5/8” or 0.625”. What is the OD of the shock pins? Does anyone here sell new shock pin hardware that will work for this setup?

Bringing up an old thread since I am looking for advice to help soften my ride. I currently have the 4" lift HFS Suspension (including shocks) running on their greaseable hangers. Have slight shim on spring pad for proper angle of drive shafts. Anyone have any experience with the HFS or any recommendations? Do not want to replace all since only a weekend driver and wife wont ride in it due to its stiffness.

Bringing up an old thread since I am looking for advice to help soften my ride. I currently have the 4" lift HFS Suspension (including shocks) running on their greaseable hangers. Have slight shim on spring pad for proper angle of drive shafts. Anyone have any experience with the HFS or any recommendations? Do not want to replace all since only a weekend driver and wife wont ride in it due to its stiffness.
Pics please, including some that show the shackle angles.

Easiest way to soften the ride is remove a couple of leaves but you'll also lose some loft height.

I've not yet found a 4" leaf spring that rides well.

I have the same HFS 4 inch springs and greasable shackles, they flex well but can be a rough ride. My HFS shocks wore out quickly, swapped in some Bilsteins and the ride is so much better now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom