Builds Project Lockjaw-1973 Fj40 on Tons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bluehawk

Appalachia Cruisers
Threads
This is the start of a slow build. I've spent time in the Fj60's and a two year build there. Now I want a 40 to wheel in. It's a field find 40, 1973 model.
20190917_194154.jpg
20190917_194247.jpg
20190917_194256.jpg

Here is the plan:
Dana 60 front
Sterling rear
5.3 liter engine
4L80 trans
Atlas t-case
4 link rear
3 link front

20200413_194258.jpg

20200413_193034.jpg

20200404_203744.jpg

20200412_170907.jpg

20200411_163555.jpg

This is gonna be a budget build. Gotta start putting in some overtime at work to fund this project. Its gonna be slow, so subscribe to keep up with the posts. I'm definitely gonna have some huge questions along the way.

This is going to be awesome. Look forward to following along.

40’s and budgets are a bad pairing....

Cool stuff Ryan, looking forwards to it. On the budget part I can help save you a ton of time of headache, skip the GM ECU and go straight to a Holley Terminator X. It will save you so much headache down the road trying to make that 4l80e work with HP tuners segment swap bull****, I’ve been down that road before, complete nightmare.
Don’t do a thing to that motor, it looks ready to run as it is. Don’t let anyone talk you into any high-volume oil pumps, head studs, etc.

That's going to be a killer before and after pic comparison.

Cool stuff Ryan, looking forwards to it. On the budget part I can help save you a ton of time of headache, skip the GM ECU and go straight to a Holley Terminator X. It will save you so much headache down the road trying to make that 4l80e work with HP tuners segment swap bulls***, I’ve been down that road before, complete nightmare.
Don’t do a thing to that motor, it looks ready to run as it is. Don’t let anyone talk you into any high-volume oil pumps, head studs, etc.

Good info Matt. Thanks for the heads up

Cool build Ryan, your 60 was badass so I'm sure this will follow.

I see the GSMTR and STLCA stickers, did someone local have it in the club?

Yes it belonged to our club president of Appalachia Cruisers. It has sat in a field for a long time. Now it's ready for a new life

Trying to figure out what the original color is on this tub, it's so faded I can't really tell.

20200414_191022.jpg

Polished a place on the lower dash. Anybody know?

Trying to decide on what wheel base for this project. A stock 40 is right at 90". I'm thinking of putting this build at 100". What do you guys think of a 10" stretch?

100" wheelbase is good. Ive stretched moonshine to maybe 3" over stock and it works exceptionally well, so maybe 110". A 40 that long would look odd I'd imagine, so as long as looks good.

Trying to decide on what wheel base for this project. A stock 40 is right at 90". I'm thinking of putting this build at 100". What do you guys think of a 10" stretch?
Mine’s linked at 102” and works pretty damn well

I did 10" Aqualu stretch tub and I think it looks good. Plus a few inches in the spring mounts. I am just sprung under. And I trimmed the rear wheel well to make it look right.

Gonna check on a transmission tomorrow, 4L80. Then tear down axles and cut off the unneeded stuff on them.

Okay guys, need opinions on my rear four link. Upper triangulated, lower triangulated, or double triangulated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom