catastrophic PS Vane pump failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving home from fishing my PS went from working, to nothing in an instant. This morning I filled the reservoir to see which hose was blown. Before I even started the engine the fluid came right onto the ground. It seems to be coming right out the rear of the PS vane pump. It's parke on a slight hill with the nose down, so I don't think it's leaking from another point and running uphill to the back of the pump. I think the rear of the vane pump is actually the source.
This seems wild to me that the back of the pump could be so badly compromised that it would fail like this.
Anyone else ever seen such a thing?

Is it missing the plug in the back? Apparently they fall out.
Look for a 5/8"-ish diameter hole that looks like it should have a plug in it.
Wits End has a tethered plug for it, if that is what it is.

1586627947760.png

@Rusty Marlin, @voodu3 is the hole just off the back at about the 7-o-clock position? (if looking at the back)

Yeah I believe so. Here’s a pic of the hole after my plug popped out.

17D45C73-D597-4AB6-91FD-1C1C9374A720.jpeg

Multiple options for fixing that...replace with new OEM pump, wits end plug, Jb weld the hole shut, etc. I used a rubber plug and put JB weld all around it. I will say that after 4 years I’ve noticed a small crack in the JB weld so I may need to get back in there again with some fresh JB weld.

I think that's where my problem is - as that spot isn't a shallow thing like in the picture, I can stick my pinkie into it all the way to the first knuckle and not touch anything with the tip of my finger. So I'm guessing the plug is gone.
Thank you both.

Last edited:
Yes, the hole is deeper than shown in the photo because your plug is missing.

Driving home from fishing my PS went from working, to nothing in an instant. This morning I filled the reservoir to see which hose was blown. Before I even started the engine the fluid came right onto the ground. It seems to be coming right out the rear of the PS vane pump. It's parke on a slight hill with the nose down, so I don't think it's leaking from another point and running uphill to the back of the pump. I think the rear of the vane pump is actually the source.
This seems wild to me that the back of the pump could be so badly compromised that it would fail like this.
Anyone else ever seen such a thing?
This has been discussed many times in many pages of threads. So much so that Wits End started to manufacture a fix for this common problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom