Decision Made With Rusty Roof (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay guys. So I posted a few days ago, asking for any ideas on fixing a rusted out rain gutter and roof. Welp, clearly the best option is a roof transplant or welding on some patches. I went up to a local body shop, just for giggles, to get an estimate on fixing it. They said they would patch it up and paint it for about $2600 or throw a new roof on for about $2400, I'd have to supply my own roof. After tinkering on here for awhile, I realized this was a fair estimate. While these are surely the best option, I can't justify it. For a few reasons: First, well we've got this crisis going on and as a pilot, who knows when the aviation world is going to get back to where it was. So $3k on a cosmetic fix (guess one could argue it's not cosmetic) doesn't do it for me. Secondly, my truck will never be showroom worthy. I've come to terms with that. I got it for almost nothing and I'm ready to start having fun with it. I want to be able to go camping with the lady and the pup, or go grab coffee or out to a nice dinner. But I want it to be reliable from a mechanical standpoint as well. Right now though, the leaks need to be dealt with somehow. So, I could throw $3k onto the roof and then watch my transmission go out. Still have a disgusting interior AND no transmission, but I'd have a great roof! So, for $3K I can put a new transmission in it ( a few times), refurbish the engine with some much needed new parts, put a new interior in AND still have some left over for some fun stuff. Since this is my DD, I'd rather go this route. Though, I live a few minutes from the airport and actually bike to work, so DD is a loose term.

With this thinking, I've decided to go the DIY roof fix for now. I needed a new headliner anyway, and boy am I happy I decided to rip the old one off with no chance of salvage (it was torn up anyway). The roof damage was worst than I thought. No worries, I'm committed at this point and excited about the prospect of having a truck that doesn't leak anymore!

I sanded around the holes, even made a few larger by getting the loose rust off, and prepped the metal for a first coating of POR-15. This is my first time using this stuff. The plan is: 2 coats of fiberglass cloth and POR15 on the inside of the roof, then Bondo on the outside with either POR15 over it or some sort of sealant, open to suggestions.

If done well, this should stop the rust from spreading (lolll), but most important: Seal the truck up completely. I will still probably, at some point in the next decade replace the roof. But, in the interim, this should do it. Still not sure what im doing with the rain gutters, while I can fix the leaks, the aesthically demonic look of the gutters still exist. I've thought about grinding them off and sanding down the area. Not sure. Maybe I'll do that around everywhere minus the windows. But here's a list of the plans for it this week and then in the near future with the saved $3k. Also, before anyone gets wise and tells me to jump into a new one, i've already tried. The wife won't let me sell this monster and get another, rust free one. It's a losing battle with that woman.

This week: -Seal up the truck. Give her a first FULL bath! (owned for a year, its embarrassing)
- New carpet. *Possibly new seat covers, my mother does upholstery and fabric design, so she's going to see if she can combo a vinyl fix for me
- New headliner. Going to either do the original one from SOR/Cruiser Corps, or might just go local here in Saint Pete and see if a custom shop has cheaper options

This Summer: - Knuckle rebuild. (still super novice to this, but seems to be the go to and a ton of reference material so I'm confident)
- New transmission thrown in (not 5 speed but used 4 speed)
- Swap out these hideous mudding tires for some less profile KO2's & figure out suspension

D3D166FA-3EF0-4446-A1CC-1656B1C0F698.jpeg

C775439A-BC46-4A1D-B6F7-DF5B306A4861.jpeg

C7D9D5EE-940C-44CC-ACBB-E46E551B9982.jpeg

My roof is in similar condition. It hasn't gotten much worse in the past couple years. So you can leave it for now. Get a used Mig welder and start practicing with some scrap sheetmetal

My roof is in similar condition. It hasn't gotten much worse in the past couple years. So you can leave it for now. Get a used Mig welder and start practicing with some scrap sheetmetal

yup that might end up being the plan for the next few years. We shall see. I’m just excited to fix these holes and seal this bad boy up.

Welding and real repairs a can be lot easier without headliner in, so just something to be aware of down the line..I set fire to my headliner welding in a new roof patch :)

I second this. I would add get a grinder. In the end your welds may not look the best, but as long as you have not punched through the metal, a welder some fiberglass filler (to fill in any pits) and some glazing putty and you will have a decent looking roof that does not leak.

Great tip for the amateur welder:
After welding if you have access to the panel behind, take a flashlight and look for pin holes you missed and weld them up.

I am a crappy welder, but have yet had a panel fall off.

Is there a build thread of someone doing this? because that seems awesome.

I don't lnow of a build thread off the top of my head but a quick google search:

I don't lnow of a build thread off the top of my head but a quick google search:

That is one charismatic narrator. Though an all aluminum body would solve alot of problems.

That is one charismatic narrator. Though an all aluminum body would solve alot of problems.

it worth having a look at Land Cruiser to see all the possibilities. I did price out a frame and body to build a 45 series with a 6" longer cab and it added up around $14,000 before shipping. So a full proper build that way could easily hit the $40k to $50k if you do all the work. But I'd like to build a 45 cab on an 80 chassis and mostly need the cab....hard to find a steel cab in the USA. All dream thoughts now anyways

Maybe you already posted pics of the rest of the rig. Might help to see the frame and the rest of the body, if it is rusty everywhere this may not be worth the effort to repair beyond a shade tree patching up. Just my .02.

Maybe you already posted pics of the rest of the rig. Might help to see the frame and the rest of the body, if it is rusty everywhere this may not be worth the effort to repair beyond a shade tree patching up. Just my .02.
Outside of the roof it’s just the inner wheel well which I’m taking care of now. Seems the rust started in the rain gutter, shocking. Poor design originally, seems like it’s obvious it’s the culprit for a lot of the rust issues.

Anyone have ideas on the rain gutter? Mines pretty bad, not sure if I should wire wheel it off and sand down or what? Open to all ideas

One guy used 3/4” angle and did some remarkably good repairs on here on a 60.
Search it up. Florida? I’d spend $100 patch welding it, strip it and sand it mostly smooth.
Prime it, spray bomb it. Now you’re into it for $200. Go begging to a LineX dealer
or do your own cheap bedliner spray. $350 maybe? Unless you LineX, cause that would
still be a couple/few hundred but they can do it smooth and it looks like paint.

One guy used 3/4” angle and did some remarkably good repairs on here on a 60.
Search it up. Florida? I’d spend $100 patch welding it, strip it and sand it mostly smooth.
Prime it, spray bomb it. Now you’re into it for $200. Go begging to a LineX dealer
or do your own cheap bedliner spray. $350 maybe? Unless you LineX, cause that would
still be a couple/few hundred but they can do it smooth and it looks like paint.
Ya running out to grab a grinder now. It’s remarkable, using a set of pliers and hardly any strength and that gutter just crippled. Think I’m going to cut it off, patch the holes and call it a day.

There is a guy in Panama running a home made soft top. Can't remember his name. It's a definite
tropical option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom