Baselining my 1997 fzj80 3xlocked Rust Bucket of Hope! 🙏🙏🙏 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have the parts you need. Just cut my tub up for scrap a week ago, but I cannot take it to the scrap yard thanks to the beer virus. Door, most of the rocker, B pillar, etc. Not that far away either, especially not if you are willing to drive to Detroit to bring home a truck!

I have the parts you need. Just cut my tub up for scrap a week ago, but I cannot take it to the scrap yard thanks to the beer virus. Door, most of the rocker, B pillar, etc. Not that far away either, especially not if you are willing to drive to Detroit to bring home a truck!
I am interest!

And to second @mingles, my first, second, and third vehicles were all rust buckets, all leaked like a sieve, and all three I would avoid these days. But there is no argument that I learned so much on those piles that I am not afraid to work on any system in a car. These days though I really try to avoid rust, unless the price is right :)

Thanks Dozer
I understand what ur saying about money pits and beating on a dead horse etc but there has to be a number that makes things safe, like for example if the truck turns out to be shot what can be salvaged to make sure I'm not upside down on the proposition,.,.locking axles, engine so on... I AM crazy BUT crazy like fox ;)

Gotcha, but that simply just isn't right. Some trucks are so far gone that even for free they will end up costing thousands more to get right than if you had just ponied up for a clean one in the first place.

For example - lets say you spend $8k on a clean 80 in nice shape. Then spend another $3k baselining it + another $3k in mods. These are somewhat averageish numbers for around here. You are now $14k into the truck, it is reliable, capable and pretty. On the other hand, lets say someone gifts you a totally clapped out 80 for free. This truck being as clapped out as it is, takes $6,000 in base lining and repairs and then needs another $6,000 in body work and rust repair. If you add that same $3k in mods now to that truck you are into it for even more than the nicer one and it still will be in worse condition overall, with no guarantee the rust doesn't start creeping back one day. I see no reason to ever go down this route, however people seem to do it every day :meh:

This thread didn't start from this angle, but if you are now talking purely from an economical standpoint, I think you are somewhat safe with what you have into it at the moment what with the locked axles, etc. but as soon as you put another penny into it like you have been suggesting, that is a penny you will never see again.

Gotcha, but that simply just isn't right. Some trucks are so far gone that even for free they will end up costing thousands more to get right than if you had just ponied up for a clean one in the first place.

For example - lets say you spend $8k on a clean 80 in nice shape. Then spend another $3k baselining it + another $3k in mods. These are somewhat averageish numbers for around here. You are now $14k into the truck, it is reliable, capable and pretty. On the other hand, lets say someone gifts you a totally clapped out 80 for free. This truck being as clapped out as it is, takes $6,000 in base lining and repairs and then needs another $6,000 in body work and rust repair. If you add that same $3k in mods now to that truck you are into it for even more than the nicer one and it still will be in worse condition overall, with no guarantee the rust doesn't start creeping back one day. I see no reason to ever go down this route, however people seem to do it every day :meh:

This thread didn't start from this angle, but if you are now talking purely from an economical standpoint, I think you are somewhat safe with what you have into it at the moment what with the locked axles, etc. but as soon as you put another penny into it like you have been suggesting, that is a penny you will never see again.
Yes to this!
That's what I'm thinking too,.,.,
No more fixes till my mechanic checks it out tomorrow.
Clean bill of health. We move fwd.
Rust in peace. Start lookin for another
đź‘Ť
Progress!

I really hope I'm making a bigger deal outta this thing than it really is...let's see tomorrow how much "rust " I have

Welcome from a fellow Long Islander, nice to see another 80 on the island. If you decide you want to lift it, I have a 2-3" King Springs lift with Ultima shocks ;) Good luck with the 80, these are impressive vehicles.

You'll want to sand down, and paint that frame real good too. I used KBS coatings on mine and 5 months later it still looks as good as new. With their additional UV resistant gloss coating, even better!

Welcome from a fellow Long Islander, nice to see another 80 on the island. If you decide you want to lift it, I have a 2-3" King Springs lift with Ultima shocks ;) Good luck with the 80, these are impressive vehicles.

You'll want to sand down, and paint that frame real good too. I used KBS coatings on mine and 5 months later it still looks as good as new. With their additional UV resistant gloss coating, even better!
Hey offroader nice to know I'm not alone out here
Especially with our trucks I feel like we have a definite edge if things went bad! Lol

That kbs stuff similar to the john deer stuff I see others taking about? That's the idea for sure, I just need an expert to look things over before I go ahead with all this work, I'll be doing it my self if u fancy turning wrenches.

I love sanding tho, cand cant wait to spruce this thing up the way it should be

Second time around for me...
Flew to Chicago and bought a 40th ten years ago with my brother. Had to sell it soon after when the bailouts were happeneing.

This time I found it in detroit...right as corona hit

Screenshot_20200303-192103_Chrome.jpg

I found this screen shot looking through the ebay images I took right before I flew out...

I saw another sweet 80 here in Babylon just the other day,,.,.THEY LIVE! :hillbilly:

See you out there!

Al

Ps I'll let you know what the doc says about my current suspension if its shot I might upgrade. I really like the oem look for now lol I know I will get bit hard by upgrades in the future,.,.
I've modded a couple subarus beyond wishes of their lives so am biding my time for sure

Last edited:
Hey offroader nice to know I'm not alone out here
Especially with our trucks I feel like we have a definite edge if things went bad! Lol

That kbs stuff similar to the john deer stuff I see others taking about? That's the idea for sure, I just need an expert to look things over before I go ahead with all this work, I'll be doing it my self if u fancy turning wrenches.

I love sanding tho, cand cant wait to spruce this thing up the way it should be

Second time around for me...
Flew to Chicago and bought a 40th ten years ago with my brother. Had to sell it soon after when the bailouts were happeneing.

This time I found it in detroit...right as corona hit

View attachment 2266707

I found this screen shot looking through the ebay images I took right before I flew out...

I saw another sweet 80 here in Babylon just the other day,,.,.THEY LIVE! :hillbilly:

See you out there!

Al

Ps I'll let you know what the doc says about my current suspension if its shot I might upgrade. I really like the oem look for now lol I know I will get bit hard by upgrades in the future,.,.
I've modded a couple subarus beyond wishes of their lives so am biding my time for sure

I don't know if KBS coatings is related to the John deere stuff, all I know its some badazz stuff and does the job well. I spent about 4 days making my undercarriage as mint as I could. I enjoy doing most of the work that I can accomplish myself, and let the shop do the more challenging work.
Sounds good about the suspension- if I still have it that is. I am going to list it up here tomorrow.
Maybe we can link up once all of this Corona bullsh!t is over with...at least I get to work on my rig!

There you go, trying to bring logic into this equation!!!

Another side you don't see is that even though the total is more, you can spread that money over several years instead of taking out a loan up front.

I got mine really cheap.
I put in over $6000 in parts.
I did all my own labor.
I drove it 25k miles before I did anything over $200. (Wiper motor, hood struts) Almost 2 years.
Since I went through and did all that, I started adding cool stuff.
I'm about $13k into mine total.
I've put on over 100k miles in 8 years.
That's under $1500 per year, not including fuel.

That's cheap.

And I can sell it for more than I have in it.
If I wreck it, I'm still in the black.

I love my truck.

I was lucky it found me!

There you go, trying to bring logic into this equation!!!

Another side you don't see is that even though the total is more, you can spread that money over several years instead of taking out a loan up front.

I got mine really cheap.
I put in over $6000 in parts.
I did all my own labor.
I drove it 25k miles before I did anything over $200. (Wiper motor, hood struts) Almost 2 years.
Since I went through and did all that, I started adding cool stuff.
I'm about $13k into mine total.
I've put on over 100k miles in 8 years.
That's under $1500 per year, not including fuel.

That's cheap.

And I can sell it for more than I have in it.
If I wreck it, I'm still in the black.

I love my truck.

I was lucky it found me!
I will be lucky if I end up like u odds r against me
Let's see what my ppi looks like tomorrow lol
One month after purchase
It was a passion fueled purchase for sure but I thought I had my numbers down at least...let's see how bad the damage is when I get back in the afternoon tomorrow

I will be lucky if I end up like u odds r against me
Let's see what my ppi looks like tomorrow lol
One month after purchase
It was a passion fueled purchase for sure but I thought I had my numbers down at least...let's see how bad the damage is when I get back in the afternoon tomorrow
I was very fortunate mine was not a rust bucket. Since I fixed all the leaks, it has gotten more rust. I need to Fluid Film the bottom of it 2X/year. I just haven't don it yet.

1586529737341.png

Do yourself a favour, buy rust free, you will be thousands $$$$ ahead and save your sanity. I. bought this last year in Cali for $3000, pretty much ZERO rust, an absolute treat to work on. I live in an even more rusty world than your rust belt as I am surrounded by salt water and get lots of snow/salt in the winter so I know what rust is like. You can not stop it even more when it has started, RUST NEVER SLEEPS!

Now that you have bought the one you have, with lockers, go get one of these. Part your rig out and put the locked axles under rust free rig, you just saved thousands by buying an unlocked rig, you also have lots of spares for your new rust free rig or can maybe sell some parts from both and recoup some $$!

What's the update from the mechanic?

She passed all her exams and got a clean bill of health from land cruiser doctor!!!!
Woo hoo back to baselining!

Well kinda, need a rocker and b pilar for sure...maybe a whole DS cut aye ayeaye

I see a lot of guys talking about buying only clean examples of 80's.... as if they are out there by the boatloads at good prices.

I think anyone buying a +/- 25 year old vehicle at this stage... should be extremely lucky if there is no "rust". At this age, you worry about rot more than rust.

If you're also buying a vehicle this old, planning on using it and don't have plans to protect it... that's a bad investment regardless of what you're doing to it.

Just some thoughts. This truck might be more than I would have gotten into... but it does run and drive. Great driver to have fun and save as a parts box when you find a cleaner example to move to. If that's the case.

Alright this is the story
Just met with Steve at St James automotive centre, he had his 2 cruisers at the shop 80&40 amazing. He had a 70 troopy in the bay and another 80 in the lot basically he knows his cruisers, bought his 40 as a kid anyway.
He looked over the whole truck, rocker, engine bay, front end back, nothing out of the ordinary he said, rust wise. And in general he liked the condition of the truck enough to say the rocker repair would be justified.

He actually had a rocker in the shop but sadly it was claimed.
STILL LOOKING for a rocker ;)

6079703581.jpg

6079703441.jpg

6079703501.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom