Older than dirt - refreshing a ‘64 FJ40 FST (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nothing better than an early T mechanical injection singing at 6800 rpm!! One of the few cars you can get a nice return on investment! Bought a 69 t in 2008 for $3500!! Needed trans rebuild, those days are long gone, now a trans cost more! Make sure the gas attendant in Oregon doesn’t fill the oil tank!

Very nice Arne. If you're broke, you can always drive with goggles until you can afford a windshield. :)

Last edited:
Very nice Arne. If you're broke, you drive always drive with goggles until you can afford a windshield. :)
It's OK, Keith. I figured out how to afford the windshield.

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

I hope you're not broke down beside the road.... ;)

Looks nice.

Newest project...

caddy004.jpeg

Yes, a German "pickup" (so to speak). Actually built in Pennsylvania. Not as slow as it looks, this one has been "refreshed" with a '92 GTI 2.0L 16v twin cam motor, connected to a very close-ratio 5 speed. It will be a very quick little bunny.

Newest project...

View attachment 2432216

Yes, a German "pickup" (so to speak). Actually built in Pennsylvania. Not as slow as it looks, this one has been "refreshed" with a '92 GTI 2.0L 16v twin cam motor, connected to a very close-ratio 5 speed. It will be a very quick little bunny.
Cool. If there isn't a "I hate coyotes" web site, post a few pics here.

Still debugging the Motronic injection, problems from sitting too long, as well as ill-advised tampering by the PO. It runs, and shows promise as being really quick. But it doesn't run right yet. Awaiting some additional parts for that now.

Beyond that, the electrical bits have been pretty much dealt with, everything now works again - lights, gauges, etc.

New brakes both ends, including an upgrade to vented GTI up front. Suspension and steering all refreshed as well.

Polished the VW/Fuchs wheels, turned out quite nice.

And now the rust exploration has begun, pictured below is the back half of the passenger floor pan. Rust is present, but not horrible. Better than I feared.

Will be expanding my work to a new area on this one, as I plan to tackle the rust repair myself. New MIG welder should be delivered any day now.

forums.pelicanparts.com-20799-1605981181.1.jpg

forums.pelicanparts.com-20799-1605981181.2.jpg

forums.pelicanparts.com-20799-1605981182.3.jpg

Lots has happened in the last 5 weeks.

First, new MIG welder arrived. And then several boxes of parts, many from the UK. Notable bits include a new stainless header (found some nasty stress cracks in the one the truck came with), tail lights, rust repair panels, front bumper, seats, exterior trim, mirrors, seals, etc.

IMG_2465.JPG

IMG_2466.JPG

IMG_2470.JPG

IMG_2488.JPG

IMG_2492.JPG

Rust repair is proceeding.

IMG_2477.JPG

IMG_2493.JPG

And lastly, the replacement air flow meter is STILL not here yet, USPS sat on it in a Connecticut post office for over 2 weeks before it started to move. Hoping for later this week.

Welcome to the world of body repair Arne. Great job!

Arne,

A few ideas on the old motronics! Been 20 years since I had to trouble shoot these. The fuel distributor is really quite easy to disassemble and clean. The presure differential valve on the side used to cause running issues. Injector seals very common vacuum leak. Make sure the tps is functioning( think there are two)
Don’t see a vacuum line to the pressure regulator? Just a few ideas, happy to help in any way with the old girl!

I'm actually quite familiar with these Motronic 16v mills. Bought a Jetta GLI 16v brand new in '91, the car is still in the family as I gave it to my son when he graduated college - he still has it. I actually borrowed it for some parts testing.

The breather hose to the pressure regulator was added after the picture was taken. Yes, there are 2 throttle switches, the idle switch was misadjusted but that has been corrected. Both knock sensors have been replaced. The ECU was bad (water damage) and has been replaced. Worst part was that the air flow meter had been tampered with, badly. I just received a replacement unit this evening. Going to take a break from welding tomorrow to see if it finally will run like it should with a properly functioning AFM.

You need to get one of those duck bill spoilers. I had one on my 81 Rabbit S.

Cool like this one?

vw golf jetta rabbit I II MK1 MK2  Front Bumper GTI LIP duckbill chin splitter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom