200 Series Toyota Land Cruiser Rear Axle Breather (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While removing some surface rust from my 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser rear axle. I noticed that the rear axle breather was clogged (See picture). I read that this can cause differential seals leaks. I am in the Chicago area so I guess the salty roads during the winter it is the cause. I added a picture of the rear diff for reference to where it is located (Tape is covering the nipple where the hose attaches). I checked the seals and luckily they are not leaking :)

I ordered a Toyota new assembly Part # 4230660150. It costs me ~$23 USD plus shipping.

I noticed there is another breather by the engine bay (5.7 L Gas Engine) close to the firewall at the battery side (See Picture - Black Circle). This one seems to be in good condition. I still need to search for the others (Front Differential, Transfer Case & Transmission).

Would you please provide some help? Do you know where to find the other ones? I want to make sure those are also in good condition before they cause issues.

Rear Diff Breather Assembly.jpg

Rear Differential Breather Location.jpg

5.7L Gas Engine Bay Breather Location.jpg

Just find you a poppet valve and hose you can get it at any auto parts store

Not sure if you want to stay OEM, but there are also aftermarket extended breathers available. ARB has one (ARB 170112 Differential Breather Kit), as do several other vendors (search eBay, Air On Board has one, and there are several unbranded options).

Last edited:
OP, what did you use for rust removal? I'm about to do some with Coroseal, rust reformer (for comparison) and some emanel spray paint.

Thanks for posting about breather, I'm putting an order together, will probably need one too. My LX is pretty rusty, too.

The factory breather is set to hold about 3-5 psi of pressure. Just something to keep in mind as it may (or may not) have been actually clogged.

Guys, Taco knows what he’s talking about. Toyota built them like this for a reason (or many of them.)

Also the third pic appears to be the front diff breather.

OP, what did you use for rust removal? I'm about to do some with Coroseal, rust reformer (for comparison) and some emanel spray paint.

Thanks for posting about breather, I'm putting an order together, will probably need one too. My LX is pretty rusty, too.
I used Loctite 8-Ounce Extend Rust Neutralizer gel (2 applications) after I removed most of the lose rust using several tools. Then, I applied 3 coats of Corroseal (It is a primer too). It looks really good without applying an enamel spray paint. I was planning to top coat with rust-oleum, but I decided not to since I applied 3 coats of Corroseal. My final coat will be 2 coats of CRC 06026 Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor on the outside frame and other locations where water and salt can get in easily, and spray liquid film inside the box frame, doors, and any other location that I can spray (Inside locations). I found out that CRC is safe for electrical connectors and any other connections and it does not come off during washing as liquid film. I purchased everything through amazon.

Last edited:
The factory breather is set to hold about 3-5 psi of pressure. Just something to keep in mind as it may (or may not) have been actually clogged.
I attempted to blow some air and it did not open. I used more than 5 psi for this. I decided that I will extend the breather hose to the rear passenger tail-light since in Illinois the salt will destroy it right-away if I just place it in the original location.

Not sure if you want to stay OEM, but there are also aftermarket extended breathers available. ARB has one (ARB 170112 Differential Breather Kit), as do several other vendors (search eBay, Air On Board has one, and there are several unbranded options).
I checked the ARB, but I decided to extend the rear diff. breather to the rear passenger rear light location. Easier. I also read that you can place it at the same location where the fuel cap is located, but I decided that it is better by the rear tail-light using same OEM breather.

I attempted to blow some air and it did not open. I used more than 5 psi for this. I decided that I will extend the breather hose to the rear passenger tail-light since in Illinois the salt will destroy it right-away if I just place it in the original location.
Nice. Yeah I’m sure your road salts did a number on the breather and I think it’s awesome to see you really taking care of that cruiser.

I said what I did because I didn’t want a bunch of other people going out, trying to blow air through the line with their mouth and thinking they needed to buy something they didn’t need.

What kind of gauge are you using?

Nice. Yeah I’m sure your road salts did a number on the breather and I think it’s awesome to see you really taking care of that cruiser.

I said what I did because I didn’t want a bunch of other people going out, trying to blow air through the line with their mouth and thinking they needed to buy something they didn’t need.

What kind of gauge are you using?
I used a bicycle tire pump with an installed gauge and it did not work. The pressure climbed to over 20 psi and it did not work. It is really rusted and full of matter.

You may want to change your rear axle gear oil , as long as the vent tube nipple is in good condition any length of hose just re-route it and as others have said baisc vent cap , the higher the better , longer section up to the Gas fill always works for me .

Agreed, I'd do gas fill over tail lamp.

You may want to change your rear axle gear oil , as long as the vent tube nipple is in good condition any length of hose just re-route it and as others have said baisc vent cap , the higher the better , longer section up to the Gas fill always works for me .
I just changed the differential oil. Old oil look good and I will see if I can route to the gas fill. Waiting for the parts to arrive this week.

While removing some surface rust from my 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser rear axle. I noticed that the rear axle breather was clogged (See picture). I read that this can cause differential seals leaks. I am in the Chicago area so I guess the salty roads during the winter it is the cause. I added a picture of the rear diff for reference to where it is located (Tape is covering the nipple where the hose attaches). I checked the seals and luckily they are not leaking :)

I ordered a Toyota new assembly Part # 4230660150. It costs me ~$23 USD plus shipping.

I noticed there is another breather by the engine bay (5.7 L Gas Engine) close to the firewall at the battery side (See Picture - Black Circle). This one seems to be in good condition. I still need to search for the others (Front Differential, Transfer Case & Transmission).

Would you please provide some help? Do you know where to find the other ones? I want to make sure those are also in good condition before they cause issues.

View attachment 2263026

View attachment 2263027

View attachment 2263028

So finally the parts arrived. I decided to use the right rear light location. I used 7 feet of 1/4”ID by 1/2”OD fuel hose. Since I had the original Toyota assembly, I removed the breather and the bracket that came with the Toyota assembly I ordered. There is a rubber piece where the car Jack location is. I cut the rubber piece to push the fuel hose from the breather. Then, I used wire ties to route it from the right tail light to the rear axle. I routed on top of the fuel line that is used to fill the gas tank. See pictures for more details. It took me 30 minutes to install it. I used silicone to seal the rubber piece where the hose was installed. I also used the original bracket to secure the house so I have the same amount of hose play as it was originally installed.

62AF7E31-0A04-4A97-9FD9-4533028D31F4.jpeg

F58D1CAC-3641-4BE6-A0A9-4F7DF4C9FEBC.jpeg

B0819F35-2CF3-4775-9D02-F931406CB927.jpeg

EE59CAC7-A659-48EF-BD29-17A4867ACEEA.jpeg

5BA94EE4-A36C-478D-9891-880AF4C4ED60.jpeg

Last edited:
The breather on the drivers side fender near the firewall is the front diff. There are also 3 trans/Tcase breathers located on the firewall directly behind the engine. All need to be extended and relocated if you plan to encounter deep water at any point. We commonly use the ARB diff breather kits.

The breather on the drivers side fender near the firewall is the front diff. There are also 3 trans/Tcase breathers located on the firewall directly behind the engine. All need to be extended and relocated if you plan to encounter deep water at any point. We commonly use the ARB diff breather kits.
Thanks for the information. I am not planning to go into deep water, but I want to check them to assure they are working properly. The one in the rear differential was clogged. However, if I change my mind, I will definitely use ARB diff kits. I did not know where the other breathers were located to check them. Now I know where to look for them. Thanks again for the info.

Thanks for the information. I am not planning to go into deep water, but I want to check them to assure they are working properly. The one in the rear differential was clogged. However, if I change my mind, I will definitely use ARB diff kits. I did not know where the other breathers were located to check them. Now I know where to look for them. Thanks again for the info.

Happy to help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom