First Landcruiser build. DIY bumper and more! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great work. Looks fantastic!

The 4x4labs latch is pretty damn simple, and I enjoy kicking it closed. I think you can buy just the latch from them.. but realistically, im sure you can source this on your own if you dig hard enough.

The 4x4labs latch is pretty damn simple, and I enjoy kicking it closed. I think you can buy just the latch from them.. but realistically, im sure you can source this on your own if you dig hard enough.
Just a de-sta-co latch. All over Amazon.

Drilled out a 5x150mm pattern on the tire carrier and extended the tubing a little more to fit 33-35’s
3337E4A9-E0BF-4168-A021-BAE8E1264801.jpeg

Will use one of these on each arm to keep closed, then use toggle latch to clamp down into a metal pad. Hopefully it’s solid once I’m done
FAE09E32-1F3E-44A6-B2EE-5B41A342535E.jpeg

Also installed gas strut on the other side, I like that it prevents the arms from swinging out too far
B143D218-E367-46FB-B012-D40D74238317.jpeg

5999AEC2-9784-4F89-99A7-B49A88907E60.jpeg

Great work. Looks fantastic!
🍻

I’m building a plate that supports the end of each arm when closed so that the stress isn’t all on the spindle. Will be using two of those toggle latches to pull the arm down onto the plate, instead of the 4x4labs which looks like it pulls the arms together and adds additional lateral force to the spindle.

Your welding looks great, especially for a beginner. Nice work.

Thanks! Someday I’ll work my way up to an SAS swap...until then I’ll just live vicariously through your build 👍

I'm also heavily considering the Badlands Apex 12k winch. Bumper and welds looks great. One thing I'd say is that the first time you park sideways on a hill or throw one of those swingouts back too hard it will rip the gas strut apart and come free. You could add a simple strap/cable to keep it from overextending.

I'm also heavily considering the Badlands Apex 12k winch. Bumper and welds looks great. One thing I'd say is that the first time you park sideways on a hill or throw one of those swingouts back too hard it will rip the gas strut apart and come free. You could add a simple strap/cable to keep it from overextending.
That’s a good thought, I’ll think about something as failsafe for the struts as I’m sure these aren’t designed to be overextended lol

Looks great. Lots of hard work... What is your plan for paint?
Probably going with a dark grey rustoleum. Easy to touch up and since my rig is already black With black wheels I want some degree of contrast.

What process and welder are you using for this?
I picked up a beat up Miller 200 (mig machine) for $250. Extended cord to reach my 220v dryer plug in the garage...she welds like a dream. Wish I had a newer machine to dial in the settings better but I’m happy enough with it and I’m not fabbing things all the time.

Finally decided on a latch system - will use these to keep the swing arms closed (otherwise they spring open with the gas struts), in addition to a toggle clamp to apply downward pressure on a Delrin pad that should support each arm end.
84B6FAA8-E886-49DF-9C43-949CA1F7793F.jpeg

Welded on the toggle clamps. Still need to decide how to support the end of each swingout (in the middle of the bumper) when it’s closed...I’m thinking a delrin pad or rubber bushing? Will have to see what I can make work...

View attachment 2266988
Lookin' good! Wish I had those kinds of fab skills

Welded on the toggle clamps. Still need to decide how to support the end of each swingout (in the middle of the bumper) when it’s closed...I’m thinking a delrin pad or rubber bushing? Will have to see what I can make work...

View attachment 2266988
I used almost the exact same setup on my rear, lock pin and the latch. I used a really thin rubber pad/bumpstop and just drilled and tapped the hole and gives you some adjustment depending on your clearance.

Looks great so far!

Exactly what I was going to say regarding the strut. Those are not meant to be used as a stop and you will tear it apart if that's the only stop. Throw on a little scrap of metal and weld it on the swing arm or something as a stop.

Really cool work! It's neat to see it come together step by step!

I used almost the exact same setup on my rear, lock pin and the latch. I used a really thin rubber pad/bumpstop and just drilled and tapped the hole and gives you some adjustment depending on your clearance.

Looks great so far!
20200410_123603.jpg

This is what I was talking about.

Finally decided on a latch system - will use these to keep the swing arms closed (otherwise they spring open with the gas struts), in addition to a toggle clamp to apply downward pressure on a Delrin pad that should support each arm end.
If you move the strut mount back, the swingarm won't spring open. See arrow...

The other mount will have to be clocked 90 degrees and the strut has to fit under the swing arm.

B143D218-E367-46FB-B012-D40D74238317.jpeg

Looks great so far!
Great idea! I picked up something from Home Depot today that would allow adjustability, will post pics once I get it mounted 👍

Exactly what I was going to say regarding the strut. Those are not meant to be used as a stop and you will tear it apart if that's the only stop. Throw on a little scrap of metal and weld it on the swing arm or something as a stop.

Really cool work! It's neat to see it come together step by step!
Yep glad you guys caught that, I’ll have to figure out a stop that looks clean once I get the latch completed.

If you move the strut mount back, the swingarm won't spring open. See arrow...

The other mount will have to be clocked 90 degrees and the strut has to fit under the swing arm.
Do you mean changing the strut to fit underneath the arm, and mount it to the surface facing the rear (instead of up)? I don’t think it would serve a long purpose in that case, unless you mean it wouldn’t apply force to open it until I begin rotating the arm? I don’t mind it applying force to open the arm when compressed, less rattles that way 😀

Threw in my new hatch struts before work today.
9945BD27-82ED-4C08-B4B4-05557AC1316D.jpeg

Dont know if this helps, but I welded a spring pin onto the swingout, and drilled a hole in the bumper for the pin. Nothing fancy, but it works.

20200410_140239.jpg

20200410_140102.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom