Tried a different kind of Stout. The Toyota kind. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sometimes you find the best stuff online by doing oblique searches. "Chevy Toyota" or "82 FJ Cruiser". Happened upon this yesterday on Facebook Marketplace. Something about it just spoke to me. Brought it home last night.

1965 Toyota Stout 1900. Spent 90% of it's previous life as a Roadside Assistance service truck in Snowflake, AZ. And it looks it. Sometime in the past it received a 20R and a 4-speed (not sure what year haven't pulled the block number yet). Other than that it's all original, down to the 2 (yes, 2) 18 gallon OEM gas tanks, the handpainted graphics, the patch in the bed, etc.

Plans are to possibly make it an automatic, use a 80s-era Toyota pickup rear axle, make all the drivability stuff all good, fix the wiring etc. and it's just a weekend rig.

1965 Stout 7.jpg

1965 Stout 5.jpg

1965 Stout 4.jpg

1965 Stout 3.jpg

1965 Stout 2.jpg

Thank you for ending my temptation. How much under $3k were you able to purchase it?

There is one more on the facebook marketplace if somebody else wants to match you.

Last edited:
Sometimes you find the best stuff online by doing oblique searches. "Chevy Toyota" or "82 FJ Cruiser". Happened upon this yesterday on Facebook Marketplace. Something about it just spoke to me. Brought it home last night.

1965 Toyota Stout 1900. Spent 90% of it's previous life as a Roadside Assistance service truck in Snowflake, AZ. And it looks it. Sometime in the past it received a 20R and a 4-speed (not sure what year haven't pulled the block number yet). Other than that it's all original, down to the 2 (yes, 2) 18 gallon OEM gas tanks, the handpainted graphics, the patch in the bed, etc.

Plans are to possibly make it an automatic, use a 80s-era Toyota pickup rear axle, make all the drivability stuff all good, fix the wiring etc. and it's just a weekend rig.

View attachment 2250740

View attachment 2250741

View attachment 2250742

View attachment 2250743

View attachment 2250744

Looks great! Now time to hack up the bed and throw a solid axle under the front.

Just kidding - nice find!!

Thank you for ending my temptation. How much under $3k were you able to purchase it?

There is one more on the facebook marketplace if somebody else wants to match you.

$0... Seller threw in a spare core support, a 2nd grille apron, a 3rd "STOUT 1900" badge so now I have all 3, and delivered it on his car hauler from Queen Creek to Fountain Hills.

Is that the red one in Yuma?

A few more because I can't help myself

1965 Stout 12.jpg

1965 Stout 11.jpg

1965 Stout 10.jpg

1965 Stout 9.jpg

I don't know if you already have one, but check this out!

Bad ass! Hurry - Only 8 months until the Thanksgiving parade in Fountain Hills! Now you have 2 vehicles to enter! Hoping to check it out sometime keep the pictures coming on the build.

A couple of beauties here...

Bad ass! Hurry - Only 8 months until the Thanksgiving parade in Fountain Hills! Now you have 2 vehicles to enter! Hoping to check it out sometime keep the pictures coming on the build.

Jeff come on over any time.

A couple of beauties here...

Notice in the disciption for the 65 said the Stout was the first Toyota import pickup in the US market in 1964. Guess the 1963 FJ45LP didn't count. :bang:

The Stout had a four speed transmission with a column shift. With the new interest in the Stout if someone comes across decent bed at a good price I would be interested.

What's a decent price?

:cool:

I thought I'd seen somewhere a way to find out what year etc a F / 2F engine was by the year. I've looked all over and can't find anything about "R" block engines. I know when 20Rs were used, but I'd like to know more. Anyone have any info? My engine number:

20200329_170521.jpg

I thought I'd seen somewhere a way to find out what year etc a F / 2F engine was by the year. I've looked all over and can't find anything about "R" block engines. I know when 20Rs were used, but I'd like to know more. Anyone have any info? My engine number:

View attachment 2254361

Dating the serial number on mud was only comparing it to others. A product date is case on the opposite side of the block. Carburetor and head also had date codes.

In poking around here and other places, found some really good resources. Cabe Toyota in California for one. Also obtained a 500+ page parts manual from a guy in North Carolina. Still no idea the actual year of the 20R, but it's no big deal.

Look up Hand Made Hot Rods on MotorTrend, they did an Aussie Stout. Paint is ridiculous and they kept the drive train.

Update: Stout is sold. Decided it was too much and was gonna take me forever to get it going what with all the other projects. Sold to a local Toyota nut in Mesa. The same day, bought this beauty and it turns out this truck was about a mile or so from the guy that bought the Stout.

20210210_154605.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom