What's the best engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanna put a new (different) engine in my 1965 fj40. Toyota preferably, diesel would be nice but with some sort of noise reduction or insulation? At very least something with multi-port fuel injection. If it could match a th350 tranny that would be very sweet!
A complete package ready to run would also be very nice.

Got a nice 2UZ with auto and transfer setup in the valley, might be kinda long for a 40 series
I think the only engine that would go to a th350 would be Chevy
I'd be interested in your old setup when you pull it out.
Paul

you can get a mercedes OM617 to mate to a chevy belhousing. they’re older but are very good reliable engines. i’m currently putting one in. it’s a bunch of work to get the drive line length in the right sport. it’s a bit tight

Last edited:
fusion-delorean.jpg

If you are dead set on an auto, choose your trans before the motor. The shortest possible auto is going to be your friend. Still, if you care about cool, a Toyota diesel straight 6 and a manual trans are where it's at.

not sure there’s a good solution for 4wd with a th350 is there? is there a reason you want to stick with that tranny?

edit: never mind. i found some threads showing it. just seems like a really long drivetrain.

not sure there’s a good solution for 4wd with a th350 is there? is there a reason you want to stick with that tranny?

edit: never mind. i found some threads showing it. just seems like a really long drivetrain.
I was just looking for something that was compatible.

Got a nice 2UZ with auto and transfer setup in the valley, might be kinda long for a 40 series
I think the only engine that would go to a th350 would be Chevy
I'd be interested in your old setup when you pull it out.
Paul
What's transmission do you have with your 2uz?

Newer 5.3 with matching 4L60E, newer tech., lower first gear, overdrive high gear, and ECU matches this tranny to engine (shift points), and necessary VSS built into AA adapter- - -easy deal.

I have been thinking about doing a L84 conversion which is a 5.3 with 300+ HP And Torque

Not sure what the best gearbox would be

Looking for Suggestions also Transfer box

Fj40Dude

For transmission, go with what came with it. That will be the easiest/least amount of tuning. On the other hand, I like my NV4500 behind my 6.0 LQ4 engine... once I got some issues resolved.

For transfercase, I'd go with an FJ60/62 split case.

I wouldn't trust stock axles behind that much power. All my cruisers with big power have or are getting Dana 60s(three FJ55s and one FJ40)
The L84 comes with a 10 speed Automatic?

My vote is 1hz with a 5speed,. Smooth quiet and run great in a fj40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom