New guy here with a Q regarding 255s (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Glad to be here, been lurking around for a few days. Just picked up a clean, fairly low mileage 2005 Sequoia Limited 4wd. The previous owner appeared to be meticulous about maintenance and it shows, she drives like the day she rolled off the floor 15 years and 150k miles ago.

I do have some plans for it though. It’ll be my camping/mild overland rig and I’d like to build it as such. I don’t want to venture too terribly far from what it is now. I have a take-home car for work so with the low mileage I’ll drive it, it’ll be as close to a forever-car as a car can be, and I’d like to retain that longevity.

Had some questions though. I’ve been eyeballing 255/80r17’s pretty hard lately. I like the idea of thinner tires for a multitude of reasons. My thought process is: they’re 10mm thinner than the 265’s on it now so I see no need to worry about clearance for the width, just the diameter as they’re 33’s. Has anyone run 255’s on a sequoia with any success? I know I’ve seen a few 1st gen tundras using them but seems most people go on up to 275’s+. And with that comes: what would one need to lift a 1st gen Seq to clear a skinny 33 like that?

1F4AE5AF-6F87-4D65-9EC4-DBD1083DED3F.jpeg

I would go with the wider tires, tundras that come in with the 255 usually wipe the tries out pretty quickly due to shoulder wear and I would expect the same with the sequoia as they are roughly the same size.

255s would fit no problem. They will barely be 32's. 255/80r17s tend to run smaller than the pizza cutters you usually see on 16" rims as the 255/85r16s just run larger. I just put some on my FJC.

You may look into the 34x10.5r17 KO2. Its like a 265/82r17. Nowhere close to the "34" in its name.

+1 to @iwashmycar POV on actual size - ESPECIALLY with BFG’s.

I’ve got 37/13.5r20 on my 6” (more like 5” FR) lift, and once I get to resetting my lower arms, it won’t rub even at full lock.

They are closer to 36.25” but the biggest donut for a 20” rim, to keep my rear diff as far from water launch/retrieving the boat as possible.

To its’ credit, the 3UR doesn’t need to be in “tow/haul” mode on my “37’s” & stock R&P.

As a FYI - specs on tire-rack’s site are manufacturer provided - and BFG KM3’s are as liberal as I’ve seen on sizing.

+1 to @iwashmycar POV on actual size - ESPECIALLY with BFG’s.

I’ve got 37/13.5r20 on my 6” (more like 5” FR) lift, and once I get to resetting my lower arms, it won’t rub even at full lock.

They are closer to 36.25” but the biggest donut for a 20” rim, to keep my rear diff as far from water launch/retrieving the boat as possible.

To its’ credit, the 3UR doesn’t need to be in “tow/haul” mode on my “37’s” & stock R&P.

As a FYI - specs on tire-rack’s site are manufacturer provided - and BFG KM3’s are as liberal as I’ve seen on sizing.
Subway lost a lawsuit due to this, think we should get a class action going? I mean we are paying for 35" of rubber right? ;)

Subway lost a lawsuit due to this, think we should get a class action going? I mean we are paying for 35" of rubber right? ;)

Truth.

In fact, their sizing is so wonky that thankfully I bought my tires at Discount - I originally had the biggest P-metric size for a 20” KM.

Inflated to 45psi on the deck in store, they measured a real small 34.xx“ tire - and I was coming off 35/12.5r20 Toyos that were that same size balded & scalded - I was in the wear bars.

DISCOUNT TIRE rocks!!! - They took back the P-metric’s & ordered me the 37’s on my reason of “too small - not as advertised size”.

I’m big on Discount & have a history in their computer, but they did this not even looking when I rolled back w/ a tape measure in hand, expecting to have to prove it.

Nope - they simply said ‘no problem’ & done deal.

But yeah - to all looking at Tirerack.com for the tire specs, don’t believe BFG’s.
Find someone with your intended size & tape theirs.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah my last truck was like this. Came with 35” MT’s, I hated those. Ordered a set of all terrains that on paper were a mid-33. Put them side by side and the new “33’s” were ~.5” taller than the “35s”. Confusion ensued

Upon further research I think I’ve decided to bite the bullet and go ahead with 285’s. I think I’ll just be happier in the end not to mention the plethora of options in that size. 255’s are pretty limited to just a handful of options and if I needed a replacement there’d probably be a couple day wait. I feel like most tire shops would stock more 285’s than a 255 33. Maybe I’m wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom