Popping from the front end (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the Ironman FCP lift set at 2.5-3", TC UCA's, 17x8.5" wheels and 285/70 tires. I have checked every single bolt on the front end, everything is marked, torqued properly and hasn't moved. I have lubed the bushings, oiled the ball joints and I still have a random popping/clicking noise coming from the front drivers side when entering the driveway and sometimes as I turn on surface streets. There is no rubbing or contact anywhere so it can't be that. It's driving me nuts because I can't seem to track it down. Any ideas or pointers?

I have the Ironman FCP lift set at 2.5-3", TC UCA's, 17x8.5" wheels and 285/70 tires. I have checked every single bolt on the front end, everything is marked, torqued properly and hasn't moved. I have lubed the bushings, oiled the ball joints and I still have a random popping/clicking noise coming from the front drivers side when entering the driveway and sometimes as I turn on surface streets. There is no rubbing or contact anywhere so it can't be that. It's driving me nuts because I can't seem to track it down. Any ideas or pointers?

front axle? i believe popping or clicking are indications. do you have a diff drop?

front axle? i believe popping or clicking are indications. do you have a diff drop?

No diff drop, but Duggy's said it isn't necessary and all angles look good. I'll check front DS joints, clearance, and CV's again in the morning.

CVs I think :hmm:

Had it happen on my Tacoma after I did my lift. Finally figured out the alignment shop torqued my lower control arm bolts to 85 ft lbs and they *needed* to be at 100 ft lbs. Fixed the “click/pop” when entering/exiting driveway and turning over bumps slow (5-10 MPH or so).

Just something to explore since I know you’re probably frustrated, been there.

Had it happen on my Tacoma after I did my lift. Finally figured out the alignment shop torqued my lower control arm bolts to 85 ft lbs and they *needed* to be at 100 ft lbs. Fixed the “click/pop” when entering/exiting driveway and turning over bumps slow (5-10 MPH or so).

Im seeing 129lbf for the bolts to the chassis and 103lbf to the ball joint.

No idea, new to em. Not even sure it was the right spec for the Tacoma but was a semi-common issue that folks figured out and came up with said fix to.

Heres a reference thread for ya, looks like I remembered wrong and it might be more like 135 ft lbs: Idiotproof LCA Torque Adjustment Question

It's worth a shot, I'll try tomorrow. Thanks!

Check your wheel bearings. Wider than stock wheels with over sized tires add extra stress to the wheel bearings. Also while weight is off the front end checking wheel bearings, stick a pry bar in down by the lower ball joint and see if you have any movement when you apply a force to it. Lastly check your tie rod ends for slop.

Check your wheel bearings. Wider than stock wheels with over sized tires add extra stress to the wheel bearings. Also while weight is off the front end checking wheel bearings, stick a pry bar in down by the lower ball joint and see if you have any movement when you apply a force to it. Lastly check your tie rod ends for slop.

The truck is 7-8 months old, I highly doubt I have a bad wheel bearing and in my experience they always make noise when they go out. I will check the lower ball joint and tie rod ends once again.

The truck is 7-8 months old, I highly doubt I have a bad wheel bearing and in my experience they always make noise when they go out. I will check the lower ball joint and tie rod ends once again.
Agreed but hard to say how many or rough miles one puts on a vehicle and parts do arrive bad from stock, even Toyota parts.

I checked the LCA chassis side bolts this morning and the rear was at only 77lbf so I torqued it to the correct 129lbf. I took it on a short spin around the neighborhood jerking it back and forth, loading the front end at stop signs and turning sharply from a stop and so far no more popping. Nothing when leaving or entering the driveway either. Hopefully that was the culprit and this will be the end of it.

No issues with the TRE's, ball joint or wheel bearings. Thanks again @manscotch for the pointer.

If it was loose and clicking, you might want to get the alignment checked.

Steering wheel is centered, no pulling. It has had two alignments in the past two months (initial lift and another after we cranked the front up some more later on) so I am not going to bother until it's back in the shop for the LRA aux fuel tank install. They can throw it on their rack then and check it and honestly that's on the shop should it need another since they forgot to torque it back correctly.

Just spit wading here, but it wouldn't by chance be a plastic type sound, perhaps an inner wheel well rubbing?

I have similar popping sound but seems like it’s coming from the passenger side when i am reversing at full lock
I haven’t investigated yet since I plan to do BMC(but on hold for now due to the Covid......) I’ll let the shop to take a look. Any update please post for reference.

Just spit wading here, but it wouldn't by chance be a plastic type sound, perhaps an inner wheel well rubbing?

This was a metallic pop, it has been sourced and rectified. There is absolutely no plastic or body rub whatsoever on the front end. I have an aggressive BMC and I was extremely liberal on my trimming of plastic in the wheel wells.

I have similar popping sound but seems like it’s coming from the passenger side when i am reversing at full lock
I haven’t investigated yet since I plan to do BMC(but on hold for now due to the Covid......) I’ll let the shop to take a look. Any update please post for reference.

I first noticed mine when in reverse backing down the driveway. It was found to be a chassis side LCA bolt was improperly torqued. I have torqued it to the proper spec and ever since the noise has gone away. Another Mud member brought the possibility of the issue to my attention, apparently it's a very common spot on Tacoma's and low and behold it was the issue here as well. A quick, simple fix, just how I prefer them to be haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom