Builds Zeke, the 1975 Wanderer and DD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Found this thread. Lots of good detail there.

Also this thread

Last edited:
These. Basically the same.
20200318_153308.jpg

BTW, threw a new reconditioned starter at it yesterday. I looked at it, saw it was just kinda hanging out there in space, with a bolt on the bottom, a nut on top to hold it on and a bolt to hold on the positive cable and a bayonet plug to provide juice.

Easy job, I said to myself.

Are you f'ing kidding me? That top nut is a genuine bugger to get off. Not enough clearance for a socket or a ratchet wrench, and very little clearance to turn a box end. Forget about open end wrench, as you get 1/4 turn and you are done.

I eventually found a 17mm box end that had a bend in it generous enough to fit behind the #6 cylinder so I could move the nut a tiny bit at a time. Took longer to get that sucker off and then on then it took to do anything else.

To make things even more hilarious, the parts store had to special order the starter, which came from distribution center, but was actually someone elses' core. Original 1970-ish vintage Toyota part, complete with grease, rust and internal corrosion. Have never had that happen to me before. The parts guy was flummoxed by this weirdness as well, and he wasn't some teenage minimum wage kid, either. Parts store managed to get a new part ordered, and it works a treat, once installed.

If/when I have to do it again, I am going to take an el cheapo 17mm socket and modify it to fit that top nut. Will not do it again 1/gazillionth turn at a time again. What a PITA.

This is in addition to some stripped teeth on the rear window gear, and one of the regulator arms (the one that attaches to the regulator channel shown, has too much movement to it.

That entire assembly I mentioned was just relisted on ebay. It does not include the window channels. Sounds like it has a bad drive gear but looks pretty good otherwise.

That entire assembly I mentioned was just relisted on ebay. It does not include the window channels. Sounds like it has a bad drive gear but looks pretty good otherwise.

I am going to pull my regulator assembly before I buy anything. Which means I need to wait for a day when we don't get 1-3 inches of rain.

I consider every FJ55 rear window drive gear to be bad. Even when new from the factory it was a crap setup.

Brass rear window gear for sale - $65.00 include USPS Priority mail US continental.

Mine is a 75 also I bought two gears, Installed one when I did my resto I still have the second one. Rear windows can be a real challenge but this group has the knowledge to help you work through it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom