Target carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok with all the craziness going on right now work (money) has come to a stop so most all of my fun projects have been put on the back burner for a bit.
Shelter in place will kick a guys butt that doesn't watch TV so I'm going to start some projects out in the shop that doesn't require any money and try to ride this out in my happy place.
First up make a new post vise stand/welding table out of some scrap steel I've been tripping over.
View attachment 2245994
Ya ,so that's all you got done WTF 😂🤣🐷

Ya ,so that's all you got done WTF 😂🤣🐷
Ha yeah,, I had two 5X10 sheets of scrap welded together, one is an inch thick and the other is three quarter.
I was literally like a monkey making love to a football trying to flip all this over and get it cut into manageable sizes.
Damn I'm getting old.

Although my wife would disagree being a Horder pays off from time to time. Dug through my stash of good parts to keep just in case I might need them one day and found some heavy swivel feet, drilling and tapping 5/8" holes on this heavy chunk of steel kind of sucked but it's done and now on to the fun stuff.
IMG_20200323_125415308.jpg

Machined a fitting for the base of the vise and started welding some of the scrap steel together.
IMG_20200323_175749735.jpg

Best day of shelter in place ever!

Going to need to rethink my plan, I was going to use a chunk of Blanchard ground 1 ½” plate I have to make the table from but after spending a few hours digging it out and cleaning it up I discovered it is so hard it completely flattened the point on my center punch. I thought it was a fluke so I checked it with a file before I set it up to drill and it knocked the teeth off my file, not sure how hard it is but I’m not going to be able to drill it with anything I have here.

IMG_20200324_151721155.jpg

Well, since you're stymied with the table project, here's something else to consider. Stay with us when you pick it up. Drive it home. If nothing else, that front bumper might make a decent table.

here's something else to consider
That would be a cool project truck but the Mack B model is the FJ40 of the older Mack’s. Way too easy to find parts for and popular for me to consider.

So I was digging around my pile of junk looking for something to make a top from and just for poops and giggles I ran a file on my second chunk of ground plate and it was dead soft. They where use together on a press I bought and I can’t for the life of me think why the one is so hard and this one isn’t, anyway I got it drilled and tack welded in place. Hopefully I can get it welded up and make the aluminum top and move on to some Land Cruiser maintenance.

IMG_20200325_190327249.jpg

I was worried about how you were going to move that beast around but then I saw some forks in the background so with having a forklift heavy objects aren't an issue. It does look pretty nice and that vice looks like it has gotten some work hardening love with it's battle scars.

Better plan on using it in ID. Shipping it to AZ might kill your resto budget.

I was worried about how you were going to move that beast around
Ha yeah just dealing with the 230’ish lb. top plate was a treat. When I built my other post vise/striking plate combo I thought I made it heavy enough (about 350#) and if you put something in the vise that needs bending and pull too hard it does move around the shop a little too much. I use it often enough just the way it is that made it hard to justify cutting it apart to make something more stable for heavier work, I also find myself clamping parts to the striking plate for welding and it’s super convenient but a little small and low to be ideal.

This was one of those would be nice to have but low priority projects that got bumped up due to our social distancing requirements putting a burden on the revenue stream that funds my other projects.

Can’t wait to use it someday

You’re always welcome, if nothing else it will make a sturdy table to set our beers on when sitting around the shop shooting the bull.

What's the skinny on the vice? It's interesting with the pivot(?) and such... I don't think I've ever seen one like that.

What's the skinny on the vice? It's interesting with the pivot(?) and such... I don't think I've ever seen one like that.
This link will explain it better than I can, basically when a big hammer is your go to problem solver a post vise is invaluable.

Scraps mounted his correctly on a solid post cemented in the ground and I considered that but was afraid of commitment so this is the next best option with a stupid heavy stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom