Flashing Center Diff Lock Light 200 Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Couldn’t replicate... got a line about a fault code appearing if they had used the wrong fluid. I don’t need to tell you guys how to feel about that. They noted it on my profile and if (likely when but let’s pray miraculously it does not) or when it returns I can go see them again.

Everything I have researched on this topic suggests suspect sensors in the changeover between Hi to Lo ratio process - just what is involved - directly or indirectly - in that process is anyone's guess. For example, the most annoying effect of this flashing light is that I cannot engage cruise-control.
This suggests to me that it 'thinks' it is in 4Lo , but cannot engage the hardware - esp. given the selector switch is still in 4Hi
According to the local Toyota service guru, when working correctly, the flashing light is intended to indicate an incomplete switch-over between Hi to Lo ratio.....
I was fortunate to be able to get the car into the service bay with the light flashing and it does not throw any error codes on the Toyota full-workshop test equipment.
Toyota recommended 'regular use' of Lo but even when used daily, it will still wake up in flashing mode at any given time.
It is hot and dry here right now and it has not happened for a week or so - my money is on a dodgy earth somewhere in that circuit or a sensor issue.
I can make it turn off by driving over 40kmh and shutting the engine down with the gear selector in N, then shifting to Park to start again.
It will also turn-off by running it to operating temperature and doing the same shut-down routine as above.

Couldn’t replicate... got a line about a fault code appearing if they had used the wrong fluid. I don’t need to tell you guys how to feel about that. They noted it on my profile and if (likely when but let’s pray miraculously it does not) or when it returns I can go see them again.
If it started after the fluid change, that sure seems like a likely culprit. I suppose it's possible the new Toyota 75W LF is too slippery, but far more likely they used some generic 75W90 (or other) oil in it since if you read the threads around here most people have found when they as the dealers that they don't have 75W LF and just use whatever gear oil is available.

I’d try throwing the correct fluid in there and see what happens.

I was having the same issue on cold starts. Took it to a gravel parking lot and ran it in 4Lo, then locked the center diff and drove around for ten minutes. It has solved the problem.

Gremlins.... this morning I experienced similar symptom. CDL light flashing like Christmas light. Happen during driving normal. I can’t shift to 4low. Power off the car several times. The symptom went away after reaching home. I can’t replicate again, but light went away and I can shift to 4low, activate MTS & crawl control.

Happened twice to my 200 on cold mornings. It went away after a short drive and shut down.

FWIW I have 75w Toyota oil in the transfer case, that I recently changed myself. Happened few days and couple thousand miles after the change as well as once sometime before the change. I have no reason to believe the transfer case had anything else than the factory fill before the change (dealer maintained truck by previous owner, no records of such change).

Last edited:
Mine is now doing this. Flashing both cdl and 4 lo in mornings at random. Goes away once warm and the car is restarted. Did anyone ever figure out the culprit

You have to use the CDL frequently and 4lo stuck on for that matter. I try to run both quarterly and the cold start CDL light goes away, and only occasional 4lo. Full factory fluid replacements in both. Restarting solves it every time. It seems like the system check happens once and then triggers the code.

You have to use the CDL frequently and 4lo stuck on for that matter. I try to run both quarterly and the cold start CDL light goes away, and only occasional 4lo. Full factory fluid replacements in both. Restarting solves it every time. It seems like the system check happens once and then triggers the code.

This just happened to me this morning in Rock Springs WY on my way home from buying 2014 LC. Drove for a little bit then pulled over and off / on then gone. Kind of disappointing on the second day

I'm convinced it has to do with moisture. Mine usually goes off on cold wet mornings; however, it recently happened when I left the rig idling with the AC blasting on a hot day. I think the condensate water dropped into the TC area and set it off. I've never had it stay on after driving and restarting.

I'm convinced it has to do with moisture. Mine usually goes off on cold wet mornings; however, it recently happened when I left the rig idling with the AC blasting on a hot day. I think the condensate water dropped into the TC area and set it off. I've never had it stay on after driving and restarting.
So why we faced no issues driving in rainy days?

So why we faced no issues driving in rainy days?

Perhaps the connection is protected from getting rained on from above, and when driving forward most of the water passes underneath the transfer case?

So I've been trying to exercise the CDL on the 200 this month since I've gotten the chance to go wheeling a couple times..

If I try to turn on CDL before turning off VSC it just flashes and nothing happens. If I turn off VSC first then push CDL I get the steady CDL showing its engaged.
Earlier this month I was gone for a weekend, on day 1 turned VSC off and CDL on, then on day2 when I got in the 200 CDL light was still on and said VSC was disabled which I found odd. Well that was a lie. I went to try and pull a stuck rig out and the second I got wheel spin power was cut to the wheels and traction control kicked in.. on day 3 CDL was still on (I didn't try to turn it on or off the day I pulled a rig out). So switched back to 4hi first, then hit CDL and it just started flashing (wasn't actually engaged). Drove a bit to get off the land we were wheeling on and let everything warm up. Then turned the 200 off and back on and no lights.

This past weekend when I went wheeling did the same thing, first turned off VSC then turned CDL on. Turned the 200 off for lunch, after turning back on still said CDL was on and VSC off which was not the case. After airing up and switching to 4hi, hit the CDL button to see what would happen. Flashing CDL again.... turned the car off and back on and it was gone and said it was off.

Question I've got is, I know when you hit CDL it is supposed to turn VSC off then turn CDL on. What connections or wiring should I look into to see where the issue is?

Mine just went off today for the first time in a couple years..the mystery continues

I got this after starting it up on a cool morning. There was an evap code, cleared that and it corrected the problem. McG told me about it.

I have a cheep code reader similar to this $20 one, plugged it in and cleared the code. My last vehicle needed this code reader alot, LOL

It has not been back since.

McG told me this was a known issue. The evap code causes the diff lock to no longer function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom