Builds Bobs 2017 GX460 build (slow but steady) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thank you, I can just order them now... that works

...little problem, found out the tool kit seems to be missing some items (along with the socket for the anti theft lugs). I called the dealership in Mission Viejo where I purchased it and they are disputing these tools are missing and say that is how the kit comes (even though it appears there are places for pliers and several other items missing. Also I am not sure if the first aid kit was the only item in the other storage area. However, I could be wrong (have been many times in my life), so maybe someone can help me to know what is supposed to be in the kit or where to order the missing tools...?

Kind of disappointed in the level of customer service through the whole process and expected at least a little of the Lexus customer experience to at least help me order them. Other than that, I still love the rig and it will all work out.

View attachment 2237576View attachment 2237564
It's been kind of a mixed bag for me at that same MV Lexus dealership, but mostly good. When the Sales Manager saw my rig, she took a bunch of photos and wanted to sent them up the Lexus chain for marketing. Don't know what happened about that.
The one thing I was disappointed in though was when I called about the service campaign for the air breather thing to be replaced, they would only do it when it fails. Hummm....
Also, when I purchased my GX, from a different dealer, I too was missing the same tools. The dealer may be correct that they may not come with them??

22Eyunu35VO, Thanks for the part numbers!! 👍

Last edited:
None of our GX460's (four in total from three different dealerships over 8 years) have ever come with those items in the tool kit. It's simple stuff, not a big deal.

Yep, I had one gx with all of the tools and this one without. No worries. At this point I have ordered the dobinsons mrr lift and trying to decide on wheels next

I am down to my short list on wheels. Looking at the fuel nitro 6 D668 or maybe the alphaequipt deltas. Runner up is the TRD wheels but I would like to not have to use a spacer. Any idea on offset for the fuel wheels if I go with a 285/70/17 KO2? It does seem like the deltas do not have that “deep dish” look but that might be ok
Here are a couple of examples...
1585169974474.png
1585170008153.png

Image may contain: sky, car, tree, cloud, outdoor and nature

Lifestyleoverland has the Fuel wheels on their GX. They look great, they have a youtube video where they install the suspension and wheels. It looks like they are running the -12 offset, but require a lot of trimming to fit with 285's. If you go with the +01, they should fit better with minimal trimming, but they wont look as dished. Since you're not a stranger to a little rubbing, I vote for the -12's
I'm also not sure about fitting the 285/70R17 in the spare tire area. I can't fit my 275/70R18 under there.

Last edited:
Image may contain: sky, car, tree, cloud, outdoor and nature

Lifestyleoverland has the Fuel wheels on their GX. They look great, they have a youtube video where they install the suspension and wheels. It looks like they are running the -12 offset, but require a lot of trimming to fit with 285's. If you go with the +01, they should fit better with minimal trimming, but they wont look as dished. Since you're not a stranger to a little rubbing, I vote for the -12's
I'm also not sure about fitting the 285/70R17 in the spare tire area. I can't fit my 275/70R18 under there.
I really like their wheels on that lifestyle overland rig. Just hoping for the same look with the shoulder of the tire to stick out a little, so not sure of offset. On their website they do mention a “+1” offset in the comments.
On my spare, I will probably have to stuff something as close as I can get up there that is under inflated (I have a compressor).

The Lifestyle Overland guys have to be running the -12mm offset version of the Nitro 6. I had to do my fair share of trimming of plastic, BMC, and UCA's just so you know. I have the SCS SR8 in a 17x8.5 with a -10mm offset and 285's and this is how it sits looking directly down the side of the truck. This will be very close to how those Fuels will look in terms of offset and stance.

jIlZq19.jpg

agKjQ0m.jpg

The Lifestyle Overland guys have to be running the -12mm offset version of the Nitro 6. I had to do my fair share of trimming of plastic, BMC, and UCA's just so you know. I have the SCS SR8 in a 17x8.5 with a -10mm offset and 285's and this is how it sits looking directly down the side of the truck. This will be very close to how those Fuels will look in terms of offset and stance.

jIlZq19.jpg

agKjQ0m.jpg

Are you running 285/75/17 or 285/70/17? approximately .250" diffrence in width.

Curious as I will be picking up my Toyo Open Country R/T (285/75/17) at the loading dock tomorrow. Installing them on SCS Stealth 6, same wheel size as yours.

Are you running 285/75/17 or 285/70/17? approximately .250" diffrence in width.

Curious as I will be picking up my Toyo Open Country R/T (285/75/17) at the loading dock tomorrow. Installing them on SCS Stealth 6, same wheel size as yours.

Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70/17. Both should measure 11.2" wide depending on manufacturer, the 75 will just be 1" taller. I might move up in size down the road, but for now these are great and I still get decent fuel economy.

Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70/17. Both should measure 11.2" wide depending on manufacturer, the 75 will just be 1" taller. I might move up in size down the road, but for now these are great and I still get decent fuel economy.

For sure manufactures and even tire tread type have variance. The MT version from Toyo in the same size is .200” wider.

I plan to regear next winter. This year will be the build out. Gears and at least rear locker next winter.

Ordered the wheels in +1 and the tires...just waiting for when they get in. If the offset is wrong then I will return and order they others

So the car is in the shop getting the Dobinsons 3" MRA suspension put in, then I will pick it up and head straight over for the tires and wheels (285/70/17 KO2s and the Fuel wheels). And then a 4 wheel alignment tomorrow, so really looking forward to the rig being "more my style".
Is there anything I need to be thinking about with all these adjustments (sensor move or disconnect) for the auto headlight leveling system now that the lift will be in?

I will post some pictures after everything is in...

Last edited:
I installed my own 2.5” Dobinsons lift so not sure if the auto leveling headlight adjustment is included with your install, but it will definitely have to be done by someone. I didn’t know about it until I was high-beamed 8 times and realized I was blinding everyone.

not sure either... I will probably have to do it myself Is it just adjustment screws on the headlight assembly?

not sure either... I will probably have to do it myself Is it just adjustment screws on the headlight assembly?

Truth be told, I still haven’t gotten around to adjusting it because it’s been parked since the stay at home guidance. I did do some research though and we might have to add washers to make it all work. Screenshot attached from what I found in the GXOR group.

0674B891-3C1E-4434-B8D4-458875488CB2.png

Wow, thanks... sounds more complicated. I will have to figure out that one. Maybe someone has a writeup on it with simple instructions for a guy like me to tackle it this weekend :)

For the rear sensor, you could just purchase a small turn-buckle and shape the ends to fit. Then you can make it as long/short as needed.

I manually adjusted my headlights down with the screw on the back of the housing, too easy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom