What did you do on your 70 series today? (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dirty and some corrosion on sweet OEM chrome 16s, put a little steel wool and chrome polish and looks all shiny again.

75C5E18C-3E0D-459B-B9B3-CE2C4F68A86C.jpeg

BCA402EF-B2B0-48FD-A81C-3F8885141FF7.jpeg

Also put an amp and sub box in. We now have some thump.

That is a cool link. Well done sir! :cool:

First the OE Electrical tape and now that link to replace the 82122-90K03.

Finished off the power side of the engine compartment electrical.

Final cable is from a 24v Dyna IIRC. Much nicer than the OEM 1985 unit.

View attachment 2246999
View attachment 2247003
View attachment 2247004
View attachment 2247005
One unsafe aspect of the stock 24v layout is the proximity of the positive terminal to the firewall. An accident or rollover could easily put the positive terminal in contact and cause a fire. At a minimum, I'd install a terminal cover and maybe take some rubber hose, slit it, and install over that protruding seam on the firewall.

One unsafe aspect of the stock 24v layout is the proximity of the positive terminal to the firewall. An accident or rollover could easily put the positive terminal in contact and cause a fire. At a minimum, I'd install a terminal cover and maybe take some rubber hose, slit it, and install over that protruding seam on the firewall.

Way ahead of you Les.

Waiting for some fusible link connections and the + terminal at the firewall will be completed.

And protected.

877CC044-FF07-4654-B2CC-75841F4BF579.jpeg

Right on! The rubber cover will definitely help but something similar to this could still happen. This was a failed mount but an accident could produce the same results. I have seen a lot of car fires in my time and a 24v, dual battery system would be much more likely to catch fire. I don't think any current production vehicle would have such a layout.

Bashed in a rear window a couple of weeks ago - not entirely a bad thing as on removing the window unit to put in a new pane I found some rust along the bottom of the frame that needed fixing. Years of dirt had collected under the drain holes along the bottom of the sliders & held water. Now I know to give them a blow out or a poke out with a zip-tie before washing the truck.

i-6bVRD2M-XL.jpg

The great thing about using roof paint on your 'Cruiser is that it comes in a 10L pail, so you can do the whole truck & still have 8L left over for touch ups :cool:

i-pB8WgBd-XL.jpg

All done. The 'string in the rubber groove' trick I had heard about for getting the window back in worked mint.

i-8sWmMMJ-XL.jpg

Cheers
Clint

Pulled my front bumper off as I want to start fabbing a new one or find one that I can adapt to fit.

Added a shovel (not my idea, saw it on here somewhere a while back)

20200324_101407.jpg

Right on! The rubber cover will definitely help but something similar to this could still happen. This was a failed mount but an accident could produce the same results. I have seen a lot of car fires in my time and a 24v, dual battery system would be much more likely to catch fire. I don't think any current production vehicle would have such a layout.

On this note, be careful who you have work on your Cruiser. I have had 24v Cruisers come to me from other shops that didn’t have the batteries locked down. Simple mistake that can have drastic results.

Cheers

View attachment 2246118
New OEM harness clamps to keep things elegant.

View attachment 2246119

New battery trays and brackets...

View attachment 2246120

Using a glow plug relay from later 24v trucks. A more compact form vs. the original. Mounts the same on the battery tray bracket, terminals the same but the connectors are different. Splice and away we go.

View attachment 2246121View attachment 2246122

Really bringing the excellence to these improvements @Onur. Looks so well done. You're giving me aspirations for repairs on the Troopy.

Highly recommend Elliot tape for high heat, grease and abrasion areas...

Expensive but worth it. In combination with the OEM Yazaki tape. Pura vida.

View attachment 2246134View attachment 2246135View attachment 2246136View attachment 2246137

Is that Yazaki tape with or without adhesive? I've been using adhesive-less tape on intermediate sections with 3M adhesive tape at the ends to keep things buttoned up. Curious how you're working the Yazaki tape.

Really bringing the excellence to these improvements @Onur. Looks so well done. You're giving me aspirations for repairs on the Troopy.

Is that Yazaki tape with or without adhesive? I've been using adhesive-less tape on intermediate sections with 3M adhesive tape at the ends to keep things buttoned up. Curious how you're working the Yazaki tape.

The Yazaki tape is adhesive-based. The Elliot tape is as well. I have some non-adhesive that only adheres to itself but I just don't like working with it in the cold (which it is here in NY).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom