LC & LX470 Tesla Style Screen Radio Upgrade with Climate Control: General Discussions (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is the finished product. Sirius unit in the lower left where the ash tray once was. I also tried my hand at vinyl wrap. I also removed the lighter and added some USB ports. Overall I'm happy with the results.

20200319_164451.jpg

20200319_164433.jpg

20200319_164439.jpg

The two on the left connect to the head unit. The two on the right are simply 4.2A of power to charge those devices.
I really like the idea of having them accessible. Any tips on how to do this so well?

so I just got mine installed. I posted this in the other 2003 specific thread but figure this one may be better.

anyone have any suggestions for these issues?

1. I can’t get it seated in the harness correctly. Too many wires.
  2. I’m not sure how to route the usb cables into the glove box. (Or anywhere for that matter. They keep getting stuck so they are stuck behind the HU.)
  3. My dash lit up like a Christmas tree.
  4. Only my front 2 speakers work.
  5. My antenna won’t extend and my radio doesn’t work.
  6. Bluetooth connects for phone calls, but not for music. Sound is terrible for phone calls.
  7. I have a yellow Lamborghini background
  8. It thinks I’m driving up a mountain at a 30 degree incline.
    D4EB5463-79C1-44BC-A689-787408BB238F.jpeg

Last edited:
so I just got mine installed. I posted this in the other 2003 specific thread but figure this one may be better.

2. I’m not sure how to route the usb cables into the glove box. (Or anywhere for that matter. They keep getting stuck so they are stuck behind the HU.)
  6. Bluetooth connects for phone calls, but not for music. Sound is terrible for phone calls.
  8. It thinks I’m driving up a mountain at a 30 degree incline.View attachment 2245473
Usb cables finally run to the glove box. Figured out the glove box was easily removable.

EE5A16E8-805E-4D5D-BF09-6E0E7EF69246.jpeg

The head unit Is sitting a bit more flush after pushing some cables around.

Still struggling with all of the other problems.

does anyone know what this cable is for. It is the only one left from the LX that doesn’t have a home. It almost fits in this one but the female connector from the HU is too wide.I’m thinking this is causing at least some of my problems.

CBC1147D-E374-40CA-8167-66EBBE46461E.jpeg
F44E85A1-5B3B-4A62-B0B7-B680B0F528AA.jpeg

Last edited:
Any info. on the vinyl wrap? That looks pretty good. Part numbers, etc. Is this done with a heat gun or some other process?

Here is the finished product. Sirius unit in the lower left where the ash tray once was. I also tried my hand at vinyl wrap. I also removed the lighter and added some USB ports. Overall I'm happy with the results.

I just bought a LX 470 and this is very comforting that there is an option for a head unit replacement.

Any info. on the vinyl wrap? That looks pretty good. Part numbers, etc. Is this done with a heat gun or some other process?
I used a 3M brand of vinyl wrap called carbon fiber black. Here is the part number and vendor I used. 3M1080-CF12 3M Wrap Film Series 1080 Black Carbon Fiber Vinyl | CFS12. I think the last part of the number changes depending on the number of yards you buy. I think.. I have no preference on vendor other than they had what I wanted and they were willing to sell samples for like a buck each. metrorestyling.com
open

I used a 3M brand of vinyl wrap called carbon fiber black. Here is the part number and vendor I used. 3M1080-CF12 3M Wrap Film Series 1080 Black Carbon Fiber Vinyl | CFS12. I think the last part of the number changes depending on the number of yards you buy. I think.. I have no preference on vendor other than they had what I wanted and they were willing to sell samples for like a buck each. metrorestyling.com
open
As for how I did it, I payed close attention to the direction of the carbon weave. I did use a heat gun around every corner and not on the flat areas. I hope that helps.

8. It thinks I’m driving up a mountain at a 30 degree incline.View attachment 2245473
I am no expert, but had similar challenges. Your most important document to use for instructions comes from
Usb cables finally run to the glove box. Figured out the glove box was easily removable.

View attachment 2246420
The head unit Is sitting a bit more flush after pushing some cables around.

Still struggling with all of the other problems.

does anyone know what this cable is for. It is the only one left from the LX that doesn’t have a home. It almost fits in this one but the female connector from the HU is too wide.I’m thinking this is causing at least some of my problems.

View attachment 2246423View attachment 2246422
I am no expert on these installs, but BigLittle posted an install document he created and it really helped me with a sanity check for which connectors are used and which ones are not. I guessed correctly, but it took me a couple evenings of pondering before I found his post. Look for his install doc, if you don't find it I can help you find the link. I think.
· My dash lit up like a Christmas tree. (I had an issue with the engine running rough when I finally started testing. I found one end of the CANBUS was not connected. So look for those type of things. The VSGR light will go out after you drive it a few hundred feet. I say you have a connector or two not attached)

· Only my front 2 speakers work. (I have found that with the Lexus LX amp and install, there really is not much of a fador. All speakers are connected to the same front left and right channels. So play around with the main power connector on the back of the unit. Test it before you install the head unit. That might be the issue. I also played with the fador front and rear and found it did nothing. The main power harness on the head unit is also the home of the speaker connectors. That might be loose.)

· My antenna won’t extend and my radio doesn’t work. (I still say you have a connector that is not seated or is compromised causing these symptoms).

· Bluetooth connects for phone calls, but not for music. Sound is terrible for phone calls. (Not sure about this one.) Ell EX said there is a place to change the gain settings on the manufacturer screens, but I can't seem to access it. Also, you will want to play with the Lexus amp settings, this will clean up the sound a whole bunch.)

· I have a yellow Lamborghini background (I tried to change this and have found a couple different ways to do it and none of them work. That is one of my last things to fix on my setup.)

· It thinks I’m driving up a mountain at a 30 degree incline. (removed the whole system screen, but found if you tap the car that is degrees off, it leveled out.)

I hope this helps. If you are still experiencing issues, you can private IM me and we can chat on the phone or something. But the install doc is the way to know if your efforts are on the right track. Rod M.

The install doc is about half way down the page from BigLittle. Shout out to him for the all the hard work in creating and sharing his document. LC & LX470 Tesla Style Screen Radio Upgrade with Climate Control: General Discussions

Last edited:
I really like the idea of having them accessible. Any tips on how to do this so well?
I purchased two items from Amazon. One was the basic USB's that I connected to the two USB's you ran to the glove box PAC sells a neat one. The two on the right in my posted picture was a flushmount plug by Powerwerx w/4.2A of power output. This tied into the same hot and ground wires I pulled from the lighter. Use a multimeter to make sure it is a keyed source and the right voltage and amps.

No problem...looking forward to hearing how it turns out. The process is a little annoying because you have to reboot the device every time you change an input level, but once you get it dialed in it'll never be an issue again.
I was not able to access the screen with the gain controls. I can't seem get into that area of the radio. Any thoughts on step by step at a high level? I am sure I am missing something. Thank you!

question anyone figure out how to adjust antenna height from the px6?

do these units support dimmer/ Illumination when you turn on your headlights?

question anyone figure out how to adjust antenna height from the px6?

do these units support dimmer/ Illumination when you turn on your headlights?
Another quest
I’ve removed my Tesla screen as sound stopped, I’ve had it in radio shop and they found the mute circuit it operating but need a wiring diagram to repair , so if anyone can help but don’t say sellers in China it’s a waste of time

I just got a 2003 470 LX and need bluetooth and hands free calling. Looking at options on Ebay &Amazon, I find a lot of screen type radios that “fit” my vehicle, yet I’m not sure what the best option is. Not into the “Tesla” style radios as they are too glichy at this point and would prefer something else. The Grom option seems dated as it uses the orginal screen.

Thanks for any advices from you kind people out there.

Another quest
I’ve removed my Tesla screen as sound stopped, I’ve had it in radio shop and they found the mute circuit it operating but need a wiring diagram to repair , so if anyone can help but don’t say sellers in China it’s a waste of time

maybe bypass the factory amp

Hello everyone, hope you are all keeping safe from the Coronavirus. Anyway, I picked up a FM transmitter that is doing it's job. I can take my time now to find a good solution to the bluetooth / handsfree situation...

Amazon product ASIN B07F2RTN5Z
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom