How to register a 2012 Euro 5 hzj78 in the US? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

it depends what state you live in too

try getting a job with a foreign embassy and importing...or go the Bill Gates route

I work at an embassy an you can get the 4 door 79 trucks with grey vinyl interiors and spray 'em out rubber floor-mats for around 35K from Gibraltar Toyota. We get the troop carrier and the 2 door 79s too. I drive a 76-series diesel SUV with a 5-speed. But even us USG employees have to follow the rules. Nothing less than 25 years old to ship home. I am having a FJ-47 built with a 3F and H55 and a 75 series bed to take with me at the end of my tour. So I hope even though it is a 1983 there will be no problems with the non-25 year old bed. Getting a LC less than 25 years old into the states is a real undertaking. I have not seen it happen. I guess it does, but as others have said, if was cheap or easy people would be doing it all the time.
70 series cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, tooo dang many 70 series to keep straight. Are the 79 series trucks with the shortened bedand 4 doors still 79s?

Last edited:
75 = troopcarrier/single cab (front leaves), 76 = four door wagon (wide nose), 77 = four door wagon (narrow nose), 78 = troopcarrier (front coils), 79 = single cab (front coils) and dual cabs (wide nose)

Last edited:
there are ways to get trucks in before the 25 years ... just not legally.
you can convince the seller to swap the vin off a 85 pickup onto the new vehicle.
you can register in another country and "visit" the states with it.
you can bring it in in parts and reassemble in country as a parts vehicle (but there are stipulations that can not be met by just the one vehicle)
you can get a buddy to drive it across the border on a wheeling trip and accidently write it off and leave it behind.
but, beware, the borders are much tighter the last few years.
i shipped a vehicle to Vancouver recently and they needed picture id of who was the person that was dropping the vehicle off here. ... at the request of home land security ... looking out for Americans best interests.

I am currently going through the process of exporting my 38 year old FJ45 tray back to the U.S. From Australia, I need to declare is has the model OEM engines and tranny. No other hurdles yet.

If anyone is interested in buying an FZJ78 that can be imported into the US, I happen to have a line on a 25 year old, LHD with low mileage (13,000KM) and in excellent shape. PM me for further info

unnamed.png

Last edited:
NHTSA has an exempt vehicle list online for vehicles that do not have to wait the 25years. However, if your vehicle is not on that list, you will need to prove it is so similar (identical) to another state side vehicle, that it should be allowed. Secondly is the EPA. Has the engine been approved by the epa? you will need a certificate of conformity for the engine, the EPA has a department dedicated to importing engines. You may find the engine has been approved in other forms such as a marinized version or off-road only (lift trucks, generators...). Nowadays, it doesn't really make a difference if it is diesel or petrol/gasoline engine.
I have researched more then I care to know about importing a newer toyota diesel, and if it you want a newer truck then the 25 year rule, you MUST hire an importer. If you want to import just an engine, you can do all the legwork yourself and save some dollars.

By the way, importers are not going to tell you how they can import a vehicle under 25years old, this is how they make their money.

Good luck, I hope you don't get discouraged and can pull this off. Please be sure to report back what you learn to share with us.

RB

Bringing this thread back from the dead.I just emailed west coast cruisers today and am beyond anxious to hear back

The Only cheap way is to import this car as spare parts car not to be registered or driven. Then buy a used beat down 80 series and put all the 70 series body and drive train on the 80's extended frame.

Bringing this thread back from the dead.I just emailed west coast cruisers today and am beyond anxious to hear back

I doubt you will hear back from him.

He posts here on mud from time to time. (forgot his mud name)

Bottom line is that his stuff isn't legit. Probably why you don't see license plates or VINs displayed on anything that is too new when he posts online pictures.

Based off the recent auction sale of a 2003 Troopy on mecum. I am guessing many are getting away with it though. More power to them.

I doubt you will hear back from him.

He posts here on mud from time to time. (forgot his mud name)

Bottom line is that his stuff isn't legit. Probably why you don't see license plates or VINs displayed on anything that is too new when he posts online pictures.

Based off the recent auction sale of a 2003 Troopy on mecum. I am guessing many are getting away with it though. More power to them.
Legit or not, if I can get away with it and he can get me a new hzj76, Im willing to pay a somewhat ridiculous price. wouldn't you?

Legit or not, if I can get away with it and he can get me a new hzj76, Im willing to pay a somewhat ridiculous price. wouldn't you?

Me? No.

What happens if you get into an accident with it, regardless of who is at fault? How does it look for you if you have an illegally imported vehicle? Those are also questions you have to ask yourself before taking on the risk.

If you have a lot of money to burn, there are ways to do it semi-legally. Like HZJ76 body on a 80 series frame or something like that.

Toyota4-Runner1998449NHTSA-2004-18946
NHTSA-2004-19738
ToyotaAvalon1995-1998308NHTSA-1999-5733
NHTSA-1999-6623
ToyotaLand Cruiser1990-199621897-39
ToyotaLand Cruiser (manufactured
prior to 9/1/2006)
IFS 100
series
1999-2006539NHTSA-2012-0035
NHTSA-2012-0105
ToyotaMR21990-1991324NHTSA-1999-6601