LX470 HID RETROFIT PROJECTOR BRACKET (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

By the way, I never thanked you for the lights you built me. I haven’t installed them yet because I’m waiting for warmer weather, but I did bring them to work and put some Suntek paint protection film on all the lenses and got them ceramic coated. I’m very happy with your work, looks like a super clean install with nothing at all to nitpick at. You’re very good at what you do.

Those D2S lenses have a blue tint when you look at them from certain angles which I thought was super cool!

View attachment 2226093

View attachment 2226094

View attachment 2226095

View attachment 2226096

View attachment 2226097
Your are very welcome. I may have to steal these shots for my site with your permission

Your are very welcome. I may have to steal these shots for my site with your permission
Of course! No problem! Here’s a another picture I have.

EC082B9E-E526-4DD9-AC24-8ED784E6B8E1.jpeg

For those who have done their own retrofit or anyone running lights that I've built your should go back and put Dielectric Grease on every connection to insure a solid electrical connection to help eliminate intermittent light failure

I put dialectical on my initial install and have had nothing but issues. I think there is more going on than a little grease will fix.

I put dialectical on my initial install and have had nothing but issues. I think there is more going on than a little grease will fix.
I have found that dielectric grease has helped with intermittent light issues.... you and I spoke last in Nov and you where having issues with your high beam always on I believe? It was on one side of your LX on lights that you built.... I thought you might have a bad factory resistor and you were on the hunt for a replacement if i recall.. and you never let me know the outcome. I don't have all the answer and your not sharing your current issues ....so yes in your case a little grease may not fix whatever is going on with your lights.. You have my number and I'm willing to help

I had intermittent issues for the first year after I did the install of the Mini H1's and Morimoto HID kit - After replacing several ballasts and bulbs I finally traced the problem the the Chinese relays included in the wiring harness supplied with the Morimoto kit. I replaced both relays with these (had to trim off the mounting bracket on them). These finally cured all of my slow to start HID's
IMG_1344.JPG

I had intermittent issues for the first year after I did the install of the Mini H1's and Morimoto HID kit - After replacing several ballasts and bulbs I finally traced the problem the the Chinese relays included in the wiring harness supplied with the Morimoto kit. I replaced both relays with these (had to trim off the mounting bracket on them). These finally cured all of my slow to start HID'sView attachment 2227098
Thanks Mark .. this is great information and a inexpensive fix

Product availability may become a huge issue at TRS due to the Virus 🦠 I plan to stock up on D2S projectors.... for the lights I build but I don’t stock the Mini H1... I have TRS drop ship when you order from my site. TRS Is having a meeting tomorrow with their board to discuss product availability and will let the dealers know hopefully by Wednesday what we should expect....so if anybody’s considering a retrofit ... I’m not telling you to place an order today or tomorrow but it’s something to consider if you plan to do this over the next month or two.. My plan is to stock the Mini H1 for future orders

Lou

@Luke111 I 'm considering a 35W TRS D2S 5.0 setup with lower temp bulbs, your brackets, and some retro rubber.

A couple questions about the offerings on your site:
- Is there an option to configure your Morimoto Mini D2S 5.0 kit with different ballasts/bulbs or should I get through TRS?
- The brackets are a part of the kit above, or need purchased separately?
- Same question about 9005/9006 beam splitters if I want high beams to activate both HIDs and factory bulbs?
- What else do I need to make this happen (hardware, shrouds, etc)?
- I see you do not offer services for older headlights. I plan on DIYing, but does that mean I should think twice about trying to open my 2005 vintage ones?

I've done a similar retrofit before, but am new to the LX. Apologies if this has been answered before.

Give me a call and we can discuss all these options... the quick answer to configuring is yes.... different ballast and bulbs.can be ordered and the bracket is a separate purchase
Lou
703-371-8494

I had intermittent issues for the first year after I did the install of the Mini H1's and Morimoto HID kit - After replacing several ballasts and bulbs I finally traced the problem the the Chinese relays included in the wiring harness supplied with the Morimoto kit. I replaced both relays with these (had to trim off the mounting bracket on them). These finally cured all of my slow to start HID's

I had the same thing. I wish they would fix that. The wiring job under all that sheathing isn't all that either. One of my relays failed also in a few months.
Second relay set I redid all the wiring and made it all to perfect length, but kept the relays and they've been fine for a long time.
make them fix that Lou.

arrggghhhh. I'm so sick of s***ty wire people use. What's that they say? check you F-ing grounds!

I had the same thing. I wish they would fix that. The wiring job under all that sheathing isn't all that either. One of my relays failed also in a few months.
Second relay set I redid all the wiring and made it all to perfect length, but kept the relays and they've been fine for a long time.
make them fix that Lou.

arrggghhhh. I'm so sick of s***ty wire people use. What's that they say? check you F-ing grounds!
Good info. I’m gonna just make custom wiring right away myself. Thanks for the heads up.

About 5 years ago for work, I found some sealed relays made by Beuler.

So far they have worked flawless for us but, your local parts store probably doesn't have them. So you have to order them online.

wow... 37 pages I'm a HID/projector newb and would appreciate any help. I watched the TRS install video and they show installing the bulbs directly into the factory housing. What's the benefit of the projector? Does it give the light cut-off so I'm not blinding everyone? So if I buy this bracket, I would need to open my headlight to install the projector? Then I'd need to buy a Projector kit rather than a HID system?? Can I do low and high beams? My housings are really sun-faded, will using a Headlight Restoration System be enough or should I buy new housings?

Sorry for all the dumb questions. Would really like to upgrade the light output on my '06 LX470
20200306_153157.jpg

wow... 37 pages I'm a HID/projector newb and would appreciate any help. I watched the TRS install video and they show installing the bulbs directly into the factory housing. What's the benefit of the projector? Does it give the light cut-off so I'm not blinding everyone? So if I buy this bracket, I would need to open my headlight to install the projector? Then I'd need to buy a Projector kit rather than a HID system?? Can I do low and high beams? My housings are really sun-faded, will using a Headlight Restoration System be enough or should I buy new housings?

Sorry for all the dumb questions. Would really like to upgrade the light output on my '06 LX470
View attachment 2243581
I’m no expert but all those questions are pretty basic and I can help.

Why buy this projector bracket? So you can install proper projectors with a cutoff line. Lou has a bracket for an H1 mini projector and a bracket for the larger, more expensive D2S projector. You would bake the lights at proper temp to soften the adhesive/silicone and then pull the lenses off to gain access to remove the factory bracket and replace with Lou’s part. Then install the projector and reseal the lenses. After that you would need to buy an HID kit which should include a bulb and ballast at a minimum, some kits even have a relay harness although I’ve never used relays in any of my cars and never had issues after 15+ years.

As far as the lenses go, removing the yellowing and oxidation on the outside of the lens is the easy part. Toyota lenses are a very soft plastic and very easy to sand and polish to a high gloss, then either clear coat them with a 2K clear and/or install paint protection film to prevent the lights from quickly yellowing and becoming dull again. If you skip this step (clearcoat or paint protection film, aka “clearbra”), be ready to repeat the sanding or polishing process at least once a year or sooner because they will yellow again since the oem clearcoat is far gone on these old lights, the bare plastic has no UV protection at all.

The issue with these older polycarbonate lenses is not only do they turn dull and oxidize, since the factory applied clearcoat degrades over time, but they also develop stress cracks from old age and heat, and that cannot be fixed or corrected unfortunately. My LX is an 07 with very few miles, garaged in a northern climate all its life and even mine had a few of these stress cracks, as a few other older Toyota/Lexus vehicles in our family. I can only imagine what hotter climates do to these lenses. It’s a Toyota problem, not specific to the 100 Series.

Also, I believe Lou said he does not retrofit old headlights because during the baking process, the chrome inside the housings starts to delaminate. He only retrofits brand new headlights to avoid this happening, something to think about if you want to bake and open up your old lenses.

As for the high beams, Lou has a kit that basically replaces your halogen bulb in the high beam with a LED unit. Also with this kit installed, you can use the bi-xenon feature of the low beam projectors (someone correct me if I’m wrong on this one).

That’s all I got, I’m far from knowledgeable on this topic but those are the basics. I had Lou build me a new set of lights and his work is worth every penny!

Last edited:
I’m no expert but all those questions are pretty basic and I can help.

Why buy this projector bracket? So you can install proper projectors with a cutoff line. Lou has a bracket for an H1 mini projector and a bracket for the larger, more expensive D2S projector. You would bake the lights at proper temp to soften the adhesive/silicone and then pull the lenses off to gain access to remove the factory bracket and replace with Lou’s part. Then install the projector and reseal the lenses. After that you would need to buy an HID kit which should include a bulb and ballast at a minimum, some kits even have a relay harness although I’ve never used replays in any of my cars and never had issues after 15+ years.

As far as the lenses go, removing the yellowing and oxidation on the outside of the lens is the easy part. Toyota lenses are a very soft plastic and very easy to sand and polish to a high gloss, then either clear coat them with a 2K clear and/or install paint protection film to prevent the lights from quickly yellowing and becoming dull again. If you skip this step (clearcoat or paint protection film, aka “clearbra”), be ready to repeat the sanding or polishing process at least once a year or sooner because they will yellow again since the oem clearcoat is far gone on these old lights, the bare plastic has no UV protection at all.

The issue with these older polycarbonate lenses is not only do they turn dull and oxidize, since the factory applied clearcoat degrades over time, but they also develop stress cracks from old age and heat, and that cannot be fixed or corrected unfortunately. My LX is an 07 with very few miles, garaged in a northern climate all its life and even mine had a few of these stress cracks, as a few other older Toyota/Lexus vehicles in our family. I can only imagine what hotter climates do to these lenses. It’s a Toyota problem, not specific to the 100 Series.

Also, I believe Lou said he does not retrofit old headlights because during the baking process, the chrome inside the housings starts to delaminate. He only retrofits brand new headlights to avoid this happening, something to think about if you want to bake and open up your old lenses.

As for the high beams, Lou has a kit that basically replaces your halogen bulb in the high beam with a LED unit. Also with this kit installed, you can use the bi-xenon feature of the low beam projectors (someone correct me if I’m wrong on this one).

That’s all I got on the topic, I’m far from knowledgeable on this topic but those are the basics. I had Lou build me a new set of lights and his work is worth every penny!
Thanks for the explanation. My head was spinning after reading most of the 37 pages but your post summarized it well.
If you don’t mind me asking, what options did you choose and how much did it cost you? I’m looking to upgrade but not sure about how much I want to spend as I just spent $4k in TLC.

I'm in too! Thanks :)

Guy’s if you’re looking for new OEM headlights retrofitted...they start at $1650.00 retrofitted with the Morimoto D2S projector in glass housings. Poly Carbonate run $1750.00. Lexus raised the price of Poly Carbonate housing $49.00 per housing Jan.1 2020.
I can build either housing with the Mini H1 projector for $200 less. Feel free to call me to discuss details. Thank you @Kabanstva for the detailed explanation...and for clarity both projectors are B1-Xenon firing as a low and high beam independent of what bulb you run in the factory high beam location.

Luke, I have Mini H1s in my LX and love it! Retrofit of projectors is OK project. If I was making a suggestion - come up with NICE AND SOLID wiring harness. Plug and play, with proper length and instructions on where to mount and how.
I would pay $100-200 for harness like this designed for my LX. It needs to be factory-like without all those bulky connectors and such. If you can design box where all this crap (balasts, igniters and so on) will be mounted with a way to mount box under hood - perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom