What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (41 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very nice upgrade, also be careful before the "take off your running boards" police squad shows up and issues you an ih8mud citation.
that's happening tomorrow:flipoff2:
got some white knuckle sliders ordered:clap:

100% agree. That's why the bearings were actually the first thing I checked and they're torqued to 68ft-lbs to get 14.7lbs of break away and seem tight don't have really any play in them. It's really weird because you're right -- the c-clip doesn't keep the hub from moving, it keeps the axle from moving. However, after reinstalling the c-clip there was a noticeable reduction in play. So honestly I'm kinda at a loss for words as to how it helped. Obviously the axle no longer clunks, but I still don't quite understand how that could've caused the rotor wear. Maybe the missing c-clip allowed for like 2mm of movement and that was enough to cause the gouging??? All I know is I don't have nearly as much play (the little bit remaining is from the stretched c-clip, but like I said I have more on the way) and my brakes no longer grind :)

As said before, there is no way that c-clip coming off is the cause of the play or rotor wear. They may have been caused by the same yet-to-be diagnosed issue, but they are not directly related. Can't be. My guess is that the problem is now masked temporarily because of the new brake pads you just installed.

Are your caliper mounting bolts loose? Are the rotor to hub bolts loose? How are you checking for play in the wheel bearings and ball joints? You say the wheel bearings "don't have really any play in them." Not sure exactly what that means, but any play in the bearings is too much.

Did a few small things to my new-to-me '04 LC. A while back I replaced the door lock actuator in the front passenger door. That seemed to fix the locking issues I was having. It never sounded right though. Then the other day the front driver side started acting up. I had another actuator so I went ahead and replaced it and fixed the sound on the passenger side. Seems to be working great now. Strong smooth quiet locks. I think the sound was from not properly sealing the clamshell back up. I used a few zip ties originally. This time I used a some JB weld.

While I had the door panels off, I decided to go ahead and remove the speaker fabric and paint the grill covers. The fabric was looking pretty rough on 3 of the 4 doors. I like this better. The color matches the dark trim better than the photo suggests.

And to top it all off, I went ahead and removed all the faux wood from the doors, dash and console. Tried to do it delicately. That went pretty well. I ended up ruining one piece that was just not budging (the cover on the folding cup holder lid thing). Is there a market for selling those faux wood pieces?

20200318_144611.jpg

20200318_172820.jpg

As said before, there is no way that c-clip coming off is the cause of the play or rotor wear. They may have been caused by the same yet-to-be diagnosed issue, but they are not directly related. Can't be. My guess is that the problem is now masked temporarily because of the new brake pads you just installed.

Are your caliper mounting bolts loose? Are the rotor to hub bolts loose? How are you checking for play in the wheel bearings and ball joints? You say the wheel bearings "don't have really any play in them." Not sure exactly what that means, but any play in the bearings is too much.
@TheForger I have been bitten by this dumb front hub design quite badly just as of last month.

As you have said yourself the C-clip ain't got nothing to do with the brakes or the play in hub. I'd take a look at the rotor mounting bolts. The calipers on these trucks are pretty strong and will hold the rotor (heck even the whole wheel sometimes) in place. Once the pads start wearing out you might see this again.

@TheForger I have been bitten by this dumb front hub design quite badly just as of last month.

As you have said yourself the C-clip ain't got nothing to do with the brakes or the play in hub. I'd take a look at the rotor mounting bolts. The calipers on these trucks are pretty strong and will hold the rotor (heck even the whole wheel sometimes) in place. Once the pads start wearing out you might see this again.
I read your post with forboding...I have new OEM CVs (still sealed in the box from Lexus), waiting for me to have me diff shipped off and rebuilt. I took off my spindles, but left all rotor and flange fasteners in place. My c clips looked good, but at 253k miles both cvs were leaking and one was getting noisy. Then my front diff imploded. Glad I hadnt already done the cvs! Do new c clips come with the CVs, or do I need to order new ones?

I read your post with forboding...I have new OEM CVs (still sealed in the box from Lexus), waiting for me to have me diff shipped off and rebuilt. I took off my spindles, but left all rotor and flange fasteners in place. My c clips looked good, but at 253k miles both cvs were leaking and one was getting noisy. Then my front diff imploded. Glad I hadnt already done the cvs! Do new c clips come with the CVs, or do I need to order new ones?
New c clips are not included with the CVs.

Drove it to work a few times last week and noticed a bad “clunk” on the speed bumps in the parking garage. Noticed axles were slinging grease really bad so figured that was my clunk. Spent the evening replacing both front axles and front diff fluid then went for a spin and still had the damn clunking noise. Then my wife decided to point out the loose bolt in the lower shock mount while sitting in a chair scrolling through social media. so no more slinging grease and a tightened up Shock mount!
i wanted to give it a bath after all the work but the pup wanted to go for a boat ride....

0711568D-BF0E-44D7-A5C1-45F17799788D.jpeg

F637EEF6-757D-4D56-AD97-CC4B16E43A15.jpeg

583F1472-73F9-4FAA-859D-41BBADA66DD5.jpeg

New c clips are not included with the CVs.
Oh well, that is a big ask when only spending $400 each...
@cruiseroutfit www.cruiseroutfitters.com sells a kit. Cheap and wicked fast shipping. Call 801-563-1277 and order the following part number:

Cruiser Outfitters said:
Part# FAWB9807TKIT - $14.50/kit
Snap Ring Kit (6 various thickness) for FAWB9807T
(Fits 1998-2007 IFS UZJ100/LX470) - 1 Recommended per vehicle.

When you order the c-clips, make sure to order a size assortment so you can get a tight enough fit. You can try to measure the gap and then get the right size, but once you're paying shipping for the two clips, you might as well get a couple of each commonly used size. Cruiser Outfitters sells assortment packs too I think.

installed DIY camp shower to stock /Modified roof rack, and in the process of installing DIY awning (10x10)

almost forgot, last week i installed Airlift 1000 bags and also the pump system (mounted it in front engine bay)....MAN i love the airlift, also replaced rear shocks but kept the stock springs..

Didnt take any photos but took my 99 with 505,000 miles down to south Florida and back to rescue the wife kid
installed DIY camp shower to stock /Modified roof rack, and in the process of installing DIY awning (10x10)
Where are you pics? DIY pressurized shower system is my quarantine project tomorrow. Then test out solar power system.

I don't have any pics for it, but used the 100 for the first road trip since the timing belt/water pump/radiator job. Drove 2,500 miles in one weekend to rescue wife and kids from Florida (they were staying with in-laws not spring breaking). Unbelievably smooth and no hiccups whatsoever for a truck with 506,000 miles, no car i'd rather have in the corona-virus apocalypse. I-95 south was unbelievably empty, the return was insane with all the Canadians and snow birds trying to get back. Got a solid 13.5mpg on the interstate with the weight, bumpers, roofrack, etc.

Just sent an email to order (2) of these kits.

Great, we are just flipping the lights on the for the day. We'll get with you ASAP. Thanks!

Didnt take any photos but took my 99 with 505,000 miles down to south Florida and back to rescue the wife kid

Where are you pics? DIY pressurized shower system is my quarantine project tomorrow. Then test out solar power system.
I will take some pics and upload today....it holds a little over 4 gallons and is 75" long made with 4" PVC thick walled pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom