Builds Zeke, the 1975 Wanderer and DD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Full time use the s#*t out of it until then. When you take it down to make these repairs, it’ll be down for awhile. Take the time to enjoy it and your family. I’m sure 4 months in Afghanistan must seem like an eternity!
4 months is nothing. I spent over a decade trying to get on a 4 month on, four month off contract. My record deployment was 39 months

So, I'm back stateside again, and driving Zeke around like there is no tomorrow.

I was back for a couple days when Nashville and surrounding areas took a direct hit from several tornadoes, so Zeke became a disaster relief vehicle.

88261109_10219924745543473_2840847105088552960_n.jpg

Then, our kids took their 2000 Camry to a so-called "mechanic" for an oil pump leak. Dude spent half a day replacing the oil pump seal, timing belt, water pump, idlers and pulleys (which anyone should do at 200,000 miles or so on their 1997-2001 Camry) but he somehow managed to not notice the green stains and anti-freeze dripping from the radiator.

89734869_10219992918687759_1195465462071164928_o.jpg

So, I drove the 75 miles to the kids house, this time through the mountains and backroads. Had a great time driving there and back, but Zeke's sketchy starter finally crapped the bed right after getting back. Luckily, I can bump start in reverse out of my driveway, and Clarksville is mountainous enough that I can park up or downhill nearly anywhere so I can just turn on the key, put it in gear, and just pop the clutch when I've built up enough speed to get it going.

Tuesday I get to replace the starter. NAPA had a Nippon Denso rebuild I could order in. Evidently they are made in China, but still have ND on the body.

20200317_171454.jpg

Took my winch apart, diddled with it and didnt find anything wrong. Fiddled with the electrics and sprayed it down with wd40 and dielectric grease. Shazam! The darned thing works. Serviced it with 80w and it runs better than ever.
20200317_172653.jpg

Not so much luck with tailgate. The cheap piece of metal that stabilizes the glass broke off so that just became my #1 project.

The rear glass holder has 4 bolts, or lugs, or what call you, that attach to the Regulator channels; two to a side. One of my lugs is rusted/broken off, as is shown on the picture above.

This is in addition to some stripped teeth on the rear window gear, and one of the regulator arms (the one that attaches to the regulator channel shown, has too much movement to it.

Another project.

Sounds like you need a full blown rebuild. Keep an eye out in the classifieds, sometimes the parts show up.

Good luck with it.

Looks like I'm not the only one having this issue.

Unfortunately, this is my DD. I need to get in the back, and I need to not have rain get in the back. So I can maybe bubba it somehow.

These are a bit pricey and I don't think they include the pins but thought I would share anyway. There was recently an entire assembly on ebay for $150 IIRC but it appears to be gone. I don't think the assembly came with the window glass channel or these two parts however. Good luck. These rear windows are great.....when they work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom