What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (56 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Much needed a wash, Went from this
IMG_20200315_124826.jpg

To this
IMG_20200315_155131.jpg

I did the spare tire lift mod and noticed that my spare was made in 2005 and looks like it's original to the vehicle. Check out the marks where it's been pressed against the braces and the cracked sidewall. It was still holding air. I grabbed a cheap $40 Goodyear with decent tread to use as my new spare. I also removed my tow hitch temporarily for Moab.

QfH3KtC.jpg

tlOFITs.jpg

d71Pr6R.jpg

MOhRQSt.jpg

I did the spare tire lift mod and noticed that my spare was made in 2005 and looks like it's original to the vehicle. Check out the marks where it's been pressed against the braces and the cracked sidewall. It was still holding air. I grabbed a cheap $40 Goodyear with decent tread to use as my new spare. I also removed my tow hitch temporarily for Moab.

QfH3KtC.jpg

tlOFITs.jpg

d71Pr6R.jpg

MOhRQSt.jpg
May I ask why you removed your tow hitch for offroading? I've always hoped that's what I dragged and not the bumper/exhaust

May I ask why you removed your tow hitch for offroading? I've always hoped that's what I dragged and not the bumper/exhaust

I can see the advantage of a better departure angle but I also regularly smack my hitch. So, I would rather do that than rip off the bumper at this point, and my rear bumper is pretty trashed. My wife hates the sound.

Last edited:
Just for more clearance. It'll be my first time at Moab maybe I am making a mistake.

Any downside to this? Seems like a really good price!
It's just about $100 more expensive. You will probably want to upgrade your battery charging cable and engine ground so nothing melts either.

Just for more clearance. It'll be my first time at Moab maybe I am making a mistake.

Maybe ask around to see others opinions... It is not hard to expose the poor departure angle of these trucks and it's not just by a hair, so you're still very likely to snag the rear bumper. I'd think slowly dragging the hitch is going to do a lot less damage than dragging the bumper around. Having the rear hitch and a D-ring mount is also the best way for a recovery being pulled out of something, or letting behind you use you as a winching point (example: Smittybilt 29312B).

Maybe ask around to see others opinions... It is not hard to expose the poor departure angle of these trucks and it's not just by a hair, so you're still very likely to snag the rear bumper. I'd think slowly dragging the hitch is going to do a lot less damage than dragging the bumper around. Having the rear hitch and a D-ring mount is also the best way for a recovery being pulled out of something, or letting behind you use you as a winching point (example: Smittybilt 29312B).

@J1000 I'd agree with @CruiseLanderAZ. Ripping the whole plastic shell off would be a huge inconvenience.

I've left a few scorch marks on the rocks in Moab :rolleyes:. Sometimes it's the rear spare, sometimes the tow hitch. Depends on your skill, the line you take, and the severity of the trail you're on. Kind of a "better safe than sorry" situation.

It's just about $100 more expensive. You will probably want to upgrade your battery charging cable and engine ground so nothing melts either.

I've been to Moab, you definitely want to keep your tow hitch on or else your'e gonna go home without a rear bumper. On steep decline like Fins n Things you'll drag the hitch, if it's not there, the bumper will likely take the hit as well as the exhaust.

My alternator died on Friday. It's my DD and I needed it running asap so I went and bought a car quest from advance and installed it already. I have been debating on having the oem rebuilt or getting my $60 back for the core. Maybe I'll get my $60 back and get one of these next time

My alternator died on Friday. It's my DD and I needed it running asap so I went and bought a car quest from advance and installed it already. I have been debating on having the oem rebuilt or getting my $60 back for the core. Maybe I'll get my $60 back and get one of these next time

Keep you oem, I just replaced my car quest after 8 months. I did not know at the time that LC's spits out aftermarket parts or I would have kept my oem alternator. I am also sending my DENSO reman that I bought to replace carquest back, it is whining like crazy. I am going to install the replacement carquest that arrives tomorrow and I am not sure what else to do other than just keep replacing them every 8 months.

Ok I guess I will put my hitch back on. An electric impact like this: https://amzn.to/2TYWJEA and it's literally a 30 second job. As tempting as it would be to rip my bumper off and "have to" buy an armor replacement, I just put those cool lights in. Moab is not looking good though :(

I got some brass Ts installed along with real hose clamps:

ilCiPgT.jpg

Here's a picture of that alternator and 4 AWG wire and fuse (barely)

bZ5nocx.jpg

Replaced water logged starter. Don't really care to do it any time soon, or really ever again lol. So I made a snorkel for my starter.

3/8 90 slipped right over the rubber breather grommet. Add some super glue, a bit of fuel hose and some zip ties and I think I added essentially the height of the intake to my starters water egress. Front diff breather is routed right next to it, rear is in the fuel filler door.

IMG_20200314_125628.jpg
IMG_20200314_125640.jpg
IMG_20200314_125628.jpg
IMG_20200314_125640.jpg
IMG_20200314_154524.jpg

Ok I guess I will put my hitch back on. An electric impact like this: https://amzn.to/2TYWJEA and it's literally a 30 second job. As tempting as it would be to rip my bumper off and "have to" buy an armor replacement, I just put those cool lights in. Moab is not looking good though :(

ilCiPgT.jpg

bZ5nocx.jpg

ilCiPgT.jpg

bZ5nocx.jpg
Moab is "open" but the local health authority just today required no new check ins for rooms, campsites, VRBO, etc. Also, curbside pickup or delivery only for restaurants. So pack in your food, and you can still day trip it, if possible. One of the benefits of living nearby in Carbon County.

Moab is "open" but the local health authority just today required no new check ins for rooms, campsites, VRBO, etc. Also, curbside pickup or delivery only for restaurants. So pack in your food, and you can still day trip it, if possible. One of the benefits of living nearby in Carbon County.

This has been my fear. Was super excited that I got in on Cruise Moab this year. Even got the time off at work, my wife on board BUT coronavirus you're killing me (figuratively).

Did get these Wildpeak AT3Ws installed last weekend in anticipation of Cruise Moab on my 99.

Thanks to Gary and Jeff at Mudrak in Sonoma for the quick install.

305 x 70 x 16

IMG_20200314_141906000_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200314_103918958_HDR.jpg

Did the re-foam job on the blown front speakers. Thanks to @dnp for the nice door panel removal thread.
49671269271_17a91870a1_z.jpg

49671269151_c6eab183cd_z.jpg

This has been my fear. Was super excited that I got in on Cruise Moab this year. Even got the time off at work, my wife on board BUT coronavirus you're killing me (figuratively).
Yeah it sucks. Just got official word that Cruise Moab is cancelled :( really big disappointment. Ah well at least I have a cruiser that drives really nicely after all this work even if there's nowhere to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom