Looking at an 07 help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, truck looks great over all except for this leak looks like. Is this a serious thing?

8E7B841A-CCC0-4B62-93C4-05D5E3F5CA44.jpeg

5767F3D8-0D7E-4688-896C-05DC8FA72627.jpeg

It appears to be a timing cover leak. About $2000.00 at a Toyota dealer. :( It is a lot of labor just to get to it.

It is not unheard of on the 1GRE engine. A lot of guys go for years and never have it re-sealed.

The same thing happened to my 2010. Luckily, the dealer was doing an oil change 1 week before the warranty expired and caught it. They covered it under warranty.

Last edited:
This one ha 145k miles on it and is clean with good service history besides this. My kid is the one buying it. You think it will be ok for 4-5 years? I know it’s a loaded question

It appears to be a timing cover leak. About $2000.00 at a Toyota dealer. :( It is a lot of labor just to get to it.

It is not unheard of on the 1GRE engine. A lot of guys go for years and never have it re-sealed.

The same thing happened to my 2010. Luckily, the dealer was doing an oil change 1 week before the warranty expired and caught it. They covered it under warranty.

All I know is .......... there are a lot of guys that leave it alone. If it is not dripping oil on the ground you are "probably" ok.

Typically, it is just a "seep", not really a full blown leak.

My truck never dripped a drop of oil on the ground but being the dealer was going to fix it under warranty it was a no brainer.

Can you take the truck to a Toyota dealer and get their opinion?

Edit: Google "Toyota 1-GRE timing cover oil leak" for more info :)

Last edited:
Id leave it. I might try and see if that bolt is loose, but otherwise not worth the work until a water pump or something would need touched.

bought it! Now mechanic says I need new upper ball joins and upper control arm bushings, lower control arm bushings are "cracked"and one new shock (one blown). Shock is the easy part. No off roading just mostly daily driving and the odd trip to the mountains. So I essentially have options:

1. replace upper and lower control arms with oem
2. replace the bushings in upper and lower control arms with Superpro poly bushings and Sanke ball joints for the upper (lower ball joints are fine)
3. replace upper contol arms with Napa oher aftermarket arms.

This is my son's first vehicle and he is paying the costs. We can prob remove the uppers and bring them to the shop to get the bushings pressed in. The loweer from everything i've seen are a horror show and the vehicle is canadian, meaning the bolts look rusty. Dont want to break something and then have to pay to get towed. Thoughts?

I'm not familiar with the brands listed but my suggestion is Number 2 and have mechanic do it.

Superpro specializes in land cruisers for tough Australian conditions. They make the best bushings available for the platform. Will definitely have. mechanic press in the bushings. I think me and my son can remove the upper arms and reinstall them and prob leave lower arms for the shop to do. I will try undoing the bolts on the lower arms tonight, if they don't budge, I know we have the standard frozen bolt issue. Will also buy a new bolt set from SuperPro as it is of awesome quality and wont cause seizing for later wheel alignments.
I'm not familiar with the brands listed but my suggestion is Number 2 and have mechanic do it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom