Yet another tire question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seems like Load E tires just tend to transmit lots of road noise. I am sure that the heavier Armor-Tek sidewall of the S/T Maxx doesn't help dampen things any more.
My current Falken AT3Ws seem rough as $%^& on the roads, transmitting every line, crack, pothole, grating, etc. that I run over.

However, this will serve as an occasional tow vehicle and off-road vehicle so the load E is more suitable for what I will be doing. If I could find something good in a C or D range tire, I will probably go with that when the time comes, but at this rate the Falken's are 60k rated tires and practically brand new.

I like them. Can't remember how many miles were on them from @ga12r1 , but I've probably got close to 25-30k on them. I do a 5-tire rotation every 5k miles.

Noise isn't terrible, There's a little bit of a hum noticable at low speed with no music on in the truck, but nothing I can pick up on at road speed/ highway speed, and definitely nothing with the radio on. I'd consider noise a non-issue.

Off road they are great on everything except slick mud. Just no getting away from an MT when you need it. Otherwise, they're great, and I've got buddies in triple locked trucks that I've kept up with pretty well.

On the road, they ride like s***. No sugar coating, it will ruin an otherwise comfortable vehicle. This isn't so much specific to this tire, though. It's E rated, has a crazy stiff sidewall and transmits EVERYTHING from the road, even the gum the car in front of you just spit out. Honestly, when I go to replace, I may just save up and buy 2 new sets for the truck- an MT and a highway tire with lighter load rating. As often as I use mine for road trips, it might be worth it.

If I were going to buy just one set of replacements, I would consider them again. I'd also see what else was comparable. If the same purchase deal was made to me as when I bought these, I'd do it in a heart beat.
Thank you for coming here to give a quick update!

I believe the majority of my use with the truck will be on road, so I'm not sure I can justify MT atm. I believe these provide me with the right amount of performance for a good price.

I'm looking for a tire that best fits my expected work life.

Funny enough though, I can get a set of 5 BFG k02 DT's with 50k mileage warranty, for $1,265, or I can get 5 ST Maxx's with no mileage warranty for $1,300 or 5 STT Pros (Coopers M/T) for $1,375.

I've had k02's on my previous vehicle and really enjoyed them, but was thinking about going with something a little different. With that being said, I'm not sure if the 50k warranty is worth it in the long run or not.

glad to hear a few good reviews from people on here that use them.

Thanks again!

So what is your expected usage of the tire? What would you rate, percentage wise, your on-road usage vs. off-road usage (e.g. 80/20, 60/40)???
This will tell you whether or not you are on the right path for a specific tire. Yeah the more aggressive sidewalls look great and what not but if you are DD'ing it and only see dirt maybe 4 times a year for less than 100 miles, why are you going for something that is more on the MT side of the spectrum? Just something to think about.

So what is your expected usage of the tire? What would you rate, percentage wise, your on-road usage vs. off-road usage (e.g. 80/20, 60/40)???
This will tell you whether or not you are on the right path for a specific tire. Yeah the more aggressive sidewalls look great and what not but if you are DD'ing it and only see dirt maybe 4 times a year for less than 100 miles, why are you going for something that is more on the MT side of the spectrum? Just something to think about.
For sure!
90-95% time on road and the rest off road. Which is why I’m about 99% sure a MT isn’t for me yet.
And why I’m leaning towards an AT.

For sure!
90-95% time on road and the rest off road. Which is why I’m about 99% sure a MT isn’t for me yet.
And why I’m leaning towards an AT.

You might even be ok with some stock highway LTX or try to find some C rated AT... will be hard to find and limited choices but in future if you like going out more often and exploring you won't have to rethink tire choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom