Builds Bobs 2017 GX460 build (slow but steady) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I sure loved the 2004 GX470 (best vehicle I have owned) and loved this forum for everyone that has helped me over the years. It has gotten me in and back from many flyfishing trips, Christmas tree hunting in the snow, gobbled up rutted and rocky dirt roads, trail runs, a few challenging mountain climbs and served as a great back and forth to work rig in all seasons. We have moved back to central Oregon so we will keep using a GX for a long time, but with 206K miles, we just decided to get a new to us 2017 gray luxury version with black interior and 21K miles (not sure I am ready for a non pearl GX, but what the heck right). On this one, my thought is to carry over all the things I liked on the old one and maybe change a few things I could do better. I really like the GXOR concept rig and might try for some light version of those options. I will update this as I go, and hope I can get some good input from some of you on the plans I have for it.

Here are my goals/plans by category with my initial thoughts, please feel free to give any experiences or supportive suggestions. I'm sure the suspension will be heavily debated, but it's probably good one to figure out before I spend money on it.

Suspension
I had the Radflo 2.5 suspension on the old GX with the Metaltech coil conversion and JBA UPCs. It was great on road for corners and traffic circles with a nice firm ride, but would really soak up speedbumps and railroad crossings. And it was comfortable/great for the occasional dirt roads, trails and getting over rocky/muddy/snow terrain. Only thing I noticed is some clunky noises at slow speeds lately, but I am guessing that might just be the bushings that can be replaced.
On the new GX460, I am considering Radflo and Icon and any others that would fit the bill of comfortable/firm on road and comfortable/capable off road on the type of driving I will expect (mostly 10 miles each way to work over rural roads, and the occasional fire roads, rutted, rocky, snowy roads/trails and the occasional "I think I can get up this or over that area" attempt.)
Radflo and Icon both have different versions with and without reservoirs, but I think I want the 2.5" diameter with about 2.5" -3" lift. Not sure on reservoirs yet or which is more suited to the driving I will do, but would appreciate feedback.

Tires/Wheels
I have my 17x7 TRD gray wheels with the 285/70/R17 BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2s that I am considering swapping to the new GX460, but part of me wonders what the stock wheels would look like with KO2s. They have been good tires for almost one season, great on the roads, off road and in the snow, just a little slip once in a while on icy days in the traffic circles. The old 470 had some rubbing when backing up, but I probably needed a little BMC and some trimming, we will see what fits well on the new one. And in the spare location, I want the same wheel I am running and as big of the same tire as I can fit in there (slightly deflated)

Exterior
Rocksliders - Eventually, I plan to add some (I had Metaltech before and they worked great). I might have some Rhino bedliner sprayed on the new sliders and any front light bar I add. I also want to pay attention to trimming the running boards so I don't have that chopped off look.
Front Bumper - Might consider that GXOR concept style lower grill from CBI at some point, but might just put a bumper guard/light bar similar to the Avid offroad version on for now and then doing a vinyl wrap on some of the chrome grill and door handles
Skid Plates - I might add a front skid plate and beef up the protection underneath at some point
Taillights - I actually like the frosted taillights on the GXOR concept rig, just don't know how they did that yet. And I like the GXOR emblem
Vinyl Wrap - I like the concept of matte finish vinyl wrap on the car...who knows if I will feel compelled to do that or not.
Roof rack - My stock roof rack has served me well so may just keep the stock one on the new GX. I typically carry kayaks with stock crossbars and Yakima racks and I throw something from home depot on there occasionally and of course a Christmas tree once a year. But I want to figure out how to add some kind of removeable mount for putting a batwing awning on there once in a while.

Interior
My favorite interior mod has been the rear drawer system (I will certainly have that in there again on this one, but maybe built by an actual cabinet maker this time). I might add a molle area to attach some small folding camp chairs, folding table, snow shovel, fire extinguisher and accessories to the left rear side of the back compartment. I might add a little wood console for CD cases, trash and tissue box in the space between the two rear captain chairs forward to the back of the front console.
I will have to delete the rear airbag switch and add the crawl/multi-terrain feature to this one and need to figure out a stealthy location for the HAM radio and a CB, plus a good set of light switches mounted in a good spot for some Rigid D2 driving lights and I am thinking some Rigid 360 offroad lights. I would like to have a switching system to power both on with the brights or just independently.
One other mod would be to put a place to hang my rain/snow shell and my crushable Stetson somewhere (I had the heavy metal thing that mounts on the back of the drivers headrest)

Accessories/upgrades (other things to consider)
HAM and CB Antenna mounts and locations, fog/low/high beam bulb upgrades, lighting for under car (puddle or working underneath at night lights), rear door fold down table, fly rod case holder, tow strap hooks front and rear, rear hitch receiver. I will probably plasti-dip the badges and vinyl wrap as much chrome as I can. Also I loved the sisal floor mats I had so may reorder some of those. One thing will be a mount/cradle/charging system for my iPhone (had the ram mount and X holder before). Not sure how I will do that yet. And I want to have a small area in the drivers door (maybe a wood block with holes for mounting a small flashlight, some pens/pencils, nail clippers and a few other easy to grab items I might use

maintenance items
I had such good luck with the redline oil before, I will probably switch to redline for this one. Also I will try to run better oil in the differentials.
In the drawer system, I will store everything I had before (tow strap, fixit supplies, bulbs, air compressor, camping/overnight survival supplies and a few other goodies)

That's all of the main things I can think for now. Thanks everyone...I will try and post some good pictures and we will see how this one goes. I still can't believe I didn't by a white one :)

Bob

Here are a couple of initial pics of the new one...

1581800062906.png

1581800088738.png

and the old one...
1581801445344.png

Last edited:
Sounds like a well thought out build plan, it really helps that you've already been running its older sibling and have found what you do and don't like about the platform and where you'd like to change things up with this build. If you're a fly fisherman maybe you should consider one of the lockable fly rod cases for the roof rack?!

I know I've already mentioned this before, but I am not a fan of Icon shocks. I have run them on a few Super Duty's, a FJC and a 4Runner and they have always puked their guts in under six months. Rebuilding shocks every year or possibly even more often is not my idea of a good time nor is it acceptable. So with that said, I would stay away from their kits. They do make great coils and UCA's so should you decide to piece together a kit those would be viable options.

I would suggest going a different route with the wheels simply to try something new and change up the look this time around. The factory wheels on the 460 don't look bad with a lift and 33's but you really do need to run them with wheel spacers to get a better stance. Here is a pic of a 2017 with a 3" lift and 285/65/18's on the stock wheels with wheel spacers, I think it looks great but I am not keen on running wheel spacers when there are better options with an aftermarket wheel. KO2's are a solid choice, no complaints there from me.

hepZwsZ.jpg

I look forward to seeing where this build goes and don't sweat the paint color, as much as we like the white paint on our 460, we overwhelmingly see them in white more so than any other color and it's getting old. So embrace the grey, we love that color on our LX and very rarely do we see another LX or GX in that color so that's nice.

If you go to my build thread: Builds - R2M 2013 GX460 Overland Build
I love the way I have my HAM radio and wireless charging phone cradle.
May I suggest getting a HAM radio with a detachable face plate. Then you can find a much smaller location for the face plate and put the main unit under the drivers seat, as I did.
Also, are you considering dual batteries?

Following. I am on the same boat (2017 GX460 Luxury). Need some ideas about utilization of adjustable shocks system and air suspension.

It sure looks like I am locked in on my choice for the suspension with the Dobinsons mrr adjustable shock system. Pulling out the rear airbags and just going for it. It will take a while to get it shipped but I will probably into mid March

while I am waiting for the suspension... I am now focused on looking at wheels for the new gray GX460. I really like the 285/70/17 KO2s on the TRD gunmetal wheels I have (had) on my 470 (kayak pic below), but interested in what looks best (I know it is subjective) and what offset will work with the lift. Just going for something that looks strong but understated. I wish there was a thread just about wheels with pictures of various wheels on a 460, showing sizes and brands
Couple wheels that I like so far...
1582392286085.png
1582392369970.png

17x8.5 SCS SR8 in Gunmetal with 285/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

xNim1FJ.jpg

Both look great, but man...decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
those stock wheels do look pretty good, but I agree on the spacers (even though I ran them when I had my stock wheels on the 470) ...anyone have a picture of the gunmetal trd pro wheelss on a gray 460?

while I am waiting for the suspension... I am now focused on looking at wheels for the new gray GX460. I really like the 285/70/17 KO2s on the TRD gunmetal wheels I have (had) on my 470 (kayak pic below), but interested in what looks best (I know it is subjective) and what offset will work with the lift. Just going for something that looks strong but understated. I wish there was a thread just about wheels with pictures of various wheels on a 460, showing sizes and brands
Couple wheels that I like so far...
View attachment 2218428View attachment 2218432
You don't want the wheels pictured on that 460. They're Trash! Go for some TRD or FN Wheel Five Stars man.

I have a set of these on my 2000 4Runner that I'll probably put on my 460. Seriously man, those Fuel wheels on that white 460 are trash! You don't want.

I have to agree as someone who has had Fuel wheels in the past, there are far better options out there for less money.

while I am thinking about it...I am planning to upgrade the lighting so any input there is appreciated too. Looking at adding a fog/driving pod (I had the Rigid Dually D2s with a snap on amber lens that worked great) and a set of offroad trail lights (thinking of the LP6 or the Rigid 360s). And of course will look at upgrading the bulbs in my lows, high beams and stock fogs if there are any better options. Thinking something on a custom light bar like this crude sketch...
1583600214580.png

Finally received the GX460 delivered on the truck on Friday and love it. Now I can start in on all these changes. Lots of getting used to new things in new locations but something amazing happened in the first 22 hours.... the TPMS sensor light came on LOL! Now I feel like it loves me.

TPMS on our LX has been an issue since day one, I just ignore the light lol. Congrats on the GX!

...little problem, found out the tool kit seems to be missing some items (along with the socket for the anti theft lugs). I called the dealership in Mission Viejo where I purchased it and they are disputing these tools are missing and say that is how the kit comes (even though it appears there are places for pliers and several other items missing. Also I am not sure if the first aid kit was the only item in the other storage area. However, I could be wrong (have been many times in my life), so maybe someone can help me to know what is supposed to be in the kit or where to order the missing tools...?

Kind of disappointed in the level of customer service through the whole process and expected at least a little of the Lexus customer experience to at least help me order them. Other than that, I still love the rig and it will all work out.

1584128034666.png
1584127740810.png

Last edited:
Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom