HAM Handheld Input please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've often thought about picking up a UV-82 because of the dual PTT. I think that would be really handy because I'm always monitoring 2 different frequencies, and it can be a challenge to TX on the right one if you are in a hurry, or distracted.

As far as the BF-8HP, pass on that and buy two UV-5R in the latest release, spend the remainder of money you save on the extended battery, and a good antenna. I don't think you'll notice the extra 3 watts of power, especially for over double the price.

I have a UV-5RE+, it's at least 4 years old and I've seriously abused it. I wear it on a chest pack for offroad motorcycling events. It's been dropped at 50mph in the desert, I've crashed while wearing it countless times, it's been wet from rain or a leaky hydration pack, and it just keeps on working. I also have the larger lithium battery, and Nagoya antenna. Are they great radios? No, far from it. But that's what I started with, and I still use it on the bike, and it goes with me to work everyday in the bottom of my backpack. I have other radios, but I will likely always have a UV-5R of some kind around.

I bought a YAESU FT60 second hand on eBay, add a Diamond SRH77CA antenna and presto you've got one of the most proven HT radios on the planet. It's an awesome easy to use and program HAM.

I bought a YAESU FT60 second hand on eBay, add a Diamond SRH77CA antenna and presto you've got one of the most proven HT radios on the planet. It's an awesome easy to use and program HAM.

I dont think you will ever hear an argument AGAINST an FT60, its a great HT by any standards, and if the OP wants to up his budget, the Yaesu is a great option, buy it and dont look back.

Would I put a $175 Yaesu HT in my chest pack so I can go smash it on rocks or dunk it in the river when I crash? Nope, never. And after learning to program a Baofeng, programming (most) any other "real" radio is childs play.

@Dparo, you could get a UV-5R or two, learn to program them, get your ticket, have fun, and then upgrade accordingly. You will most likely end up with an FT60 eventually, so great advice from @REZARF also.

I dont think you will ever hear an argument AGAINST an FT60, its a great HT by any standards, and if the OP wants to up his budget, the Yaesu is a great option, buy it and dont look back.

Would I put a $175 Yaesu HT in my chest pack so I can go smash it on rocks or dunk it in the river when I crash? Nope, never. And after learning to program a Baofeng, programming (most) any other "real" radio is childs play.

@Dparo, you could get a UV-5R or two, learn to program them, get your ticket, have fun, and then upgrade accordingly. You will most likely end up with an FT60 eventually, so great advice from @REZARF also.

Well said, I wouldn't use a nicer radio in your situation either, but I'd rather buy once cry once then fiddle with radios that will leaving something to be desired down the road. FWIW, I'm into my setup for $170 bucks with the radio, upgraded antenna and ram mount... it gets splashed, rained on and knocked around in the 40 all season. They're really robust. But for learning and general trail work the BF really have a following!

Or you might be able to find an FT-70 with the digi comm capability......

I have both, cant go wrong with either. But could be had for less, and an better antenna will improve monitoring.
Amazon product ASIN B007UYKG4E
Antenna Amazon product ASIN B01K10B9XK

I've got the exact same setup. No complaints.

Hey Guys... getting in on listening side of things for Rubithon in June this year.

The antenna show, above, is massively tall. Is that how its supposed to be or is the link leading to a different antenna? I want to get setup soon and reading through threads. The price point on the links, above are super good!

A few months ago in a different thread on this site, I had suggested getting a Baofeng UV5R as a cheap expendable radio. I thought what the hell, I'll buy one for grins and giggles. I paid $19.99 for the radio and $5.44 for the programming cable/software. I bought this from eBay and it was a US seller. I could have paid less if I was willing to get it from China. There are also package deals for groups and colors other than black should have that desire. Mine came with a drop in charger, 6 1/2 in flexible antenna and an ear plug/mic that I won't be using.

The previously mentioned radios are all good stuff. Leaving a $19.99 radio on a rock, driving over it or dropping it in the lake won't break the bank.

73, Larry
WB8LBZ
El Paso, TX

That antenna is a little annoying as it tends to flop around and I don't see a significant difference in performance from mine. I have the following mag mount antenna with a BNC connector as the BNC is way faster to disconnect than the SMA. You'll need to get an adapter but the antenna, adapter, and shipping will run you less than 30 bucks and will easily triple your range over the stock antenna. Amazon product ASIN B01DY8FTFA

@KliersLC Spot on info... thanks man!!

Looking forward to start the process with my test. Give these times with virus chatter, etc... you guys are ahead of the curve with staying informed! 🍻

Me again... im going to search around but thought to ask...

Would this radio also be a good solution for enduro riding? Maybe a different antenna?

Me again... im going to search around but thought to ask...

Would this radio also be a good solution for enduro riding? Maybe a different antenna?
As far as talking to other riders or as emergency communication?

For talking to others it is an excellent solution.

Depending on where you are riding, it might be a good means of emergency comm, but also might not. It just depends on the local repeater coverage. I'd probably make a little foldable antenna kit that has a ground plane, but if you are going that remote, the right answer is a SPOT or similar.

I woud not rely on amateur radio for emergencies. There are not enough people listening on repeaters any more. Some repeaters might have lots of traffic but my experience is that they're usually pretty quiet.

For emergency, get a Garmin Inreach which uses Iridium network to reach emergency responders. The system has worldwide coverage. A Spot would also work but IMO not as good as an Inreach. Also personal locator beacons.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom