Help with Starter solenoid in SoCal! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I've been dealing with this intermittent starting issue as outlined here: Click but no start!
I have replaced the fusible links, installed a new starter, new battery, and new ignition switch assembly, but still having this issue, probably 3-4x per week. Leaving me stranded for anywhere from 3-20 minutes, usually at the gas pump.

I found this solution: 94 delayed cranking. Starter, ignition switch, or other?
where many of you guys found success with installing a ford solenoid. I am in the middle of a housing move back to California from the east coast and don't have access to any of my tools for another month and a half, but I'm going to need to start daily driving my land cruiser. I really need help with installing this solenoid, I've never messed with electronics before and don't want to mess up and be stranded without a car.

Does anyone living between LA to San Diego have the tools and know-how to install this? Can I drive over and get help with installing it? I would for sure buy you lunch/dinner/beer whatever you like! I fly into LAX this Saturday at noon and will be free anytime over the next two weeks starting then.

I found the solenoid for sale here: New Starter Car Truck Solenoid Relay For Ford 12V Heavyduty Sw3 Made In Usa | eBay

Thanks!

Check all your battery Connections. Start at Battery end at Starter. Check the Ground too.
Then Check to make sure your Battery has enough voltage.
I had exact same issue and it was weak connection at Battery. I tore my hair out and had to fight the local stealership who went out put in key and said starter was bad. They never checked a thing! I got 1/2 of my $ back and had to yell and scream to get that. I'm sure I made many people in there uncomfortable that day.

I'm assuming you have had your starter tested already at local autoparts store?
My starter was Brand new from Rockauto.com or Refurbed to look like new from Denso.

It is not uncommon for the solenoid contacts to be less than straight in rebuilt/less than high quality new starters. This results in a very small contact patch between the contacts. That results in more resistance to amperage flow and also to accelerated wear of the contacts. I always open up the solenoid and check/align the contacts before I install a replacement starter.

You should not need to come up with home brewed workarounds. When the battery, starter/solenoid and switches/wiring in between are right, you can count on the rig to start every time always and under any conditions. Why complicate it?

*IF* you do want to add complexity, you can add less. Simply use a heavy duty momentary contact switch (like maybe an old school starter switch available at any auto parts store...) and using decent size wire, plumb that that in direct from the battery to the solenoid in parallel with the existing circuit. When the day comes that your correctly functioning starter begins to act up due to wear of the solenoid contacts and fails to start miles out on the trail... simply push the starter button and let more amps flow just because of the lesser resistance than what the normal wiring and ignitions switch create. (That is all that the relay or ford style solenoid do after all.) Easier than reaching under the fender and banging on he starter. ;)

Mark...

Hi all,

I've been dealing with this intermittent starting issue as outlined here: Click but no start!
I have replaced the fusible links, installed a new starter, new battery, and new ignition switch assembly, but still having this issue, probably 3-4x per week. Leaving me stranded for anywhere from 3-20 minutes, usually at the gas pump.

I found this solution: 94 delayed cranking. Starter, ignition switch, or other?
where many of you guys found success with installing a ford solenoid. I am in the middle of a housing move back to California from the east coast and don't have access to any of my tools for another month and a half, but I'm going to need to start daily driving my land cruiser. I really need help with installing this solenoid, I've never messed with electronics before and don't want to mess up and be stranded without a car.

Does anyone living between LA to San Diego have the tools and know-how to install this? Can I drive over and get help with installing it? I would for sure buy you lunch/dinner/beer whatever you like! I fly into LAX this Saturday at noon and will be free anytime over the next two weeks starting then.

I found the solenoid for sale here: New Starter Car Truck Solenoid Relay For Ford 12V Heavyduty Sw3 Made In Usa | eBay

Thanks!
Hi! Did you solve this issue? I am going through the same issue! Thanks!

Yes, its not the solenoid. It was the toyota alarm system. I brought my car to a car alarm shop and they removed it for me really quickly. Have had no issues at all since March.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom