Builds LEXpedition Overland Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

Just starting out with my 2011 LX570. I'm hoping to build a rig that will take me (and my wife and/or kids occasionally) on some great adventures. I will not be building a rock crawler or mudder. Simply something that is reliable and will get to those places that are off the beaten path. I suspect this project will take several years due to time and budgetary constraints. The end game for me is that over the next few years I will learn:
  • Enough about my vehicle to be able to repair most things myself
  • Overlanding skills sufficient to provide for efficient travel and camping
  • What equipment is, and more importantly perhaps, what equipment is NOT necessary for long term overlanding
  • Non-overlanding skills that will help ensure enjoyable experiences. Things like kayaking, fishing, hiking, mountain biking.
I want to retire in 10 years or less and I want to have experience building the right rig and skills for my travels post-retirement.

Currently, my rig is completely stock (see below) with the exception of the remote starter I installed myself.

I'm planning on getting some new rims and tires in the next week or two. My choices are the Icon Six Speed 17" rims and the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT, LT285/70R17. I know this is not the most aggressive AT tire out there but I think for the next several years, 98% of the time the tires will be on a paved road and I've heard these tires behave well and are quieter than most AT's.

My next MOD will be the license plate "LXPDTION".

The name of my build thread is a nod to the folks over at Expedition Overland. Watching their series on Amazon really re-ignited a burning desire for adventure that I'd long buried to raise kids and build a career.

Thank you for checking in on me.

Prebuild_01.jpg

Prebuild_02.jpg

Perhaps consider 285/75r17 tires? Still a pretty common size and won't tax your tranny too much, won't require much plastics work to get to fit. And if I recall those rims have a +25mm offset, so the taller you go the better your geometry will be.

Perhaps consider 285/75r17 tires? Still a pretty common size and won't tax your tranny too much, won't require much plastics work to get to fit. And if I recall those rims have a +25mm offset, so the taller you go the better your geometry will be.
These are what I currently run. Excellent road manners, great rain handling and also decent off road.

I might just do that. I need to check with the folks that I'm getting the tires from and see if it's too late to order the larger ones. He told me last week that they should be in tomorrow but I'm not sure. He lives in the area east of Nashville that was impacted by the EF4 tornado last week so he might still be uncovering from that.

Thanks for the advice @grinchy and @terdrocket !

Last edited:
@grinchy When you say "not much plastic work" to get them to fit, what does that mean? I know the mudflaps and little square thing in front of the front tires will have to go. I'm assuming you are referring to massaging the fender liners with a heat gun as well? Anything else?

I have the wheel/tire setup you are looking at. Great road manners, had no issues across 3.8K road miles/2.2K off-road and trail miles.View attachment 2234427

@LittleBurroAZ You are several Mods ahead of me and I like it. You have an LC, right? Am I correct in assuming that you've lifted it some? If so, how much? And those are the 285/70R17 or 286/75R17? I'm just trying to visualize mine with the same tires and lifted via AHC Sensor Lift.

From what I've read on here, the lift itself doesn't do much, if anything to help with the clearance for the tires but it does help get some of the sensitive parts of the undercarriage a little further away from rocks and such.

Also, can't tell from the pix you provided...what are you using for the spare tire, traction mats, etc.? Is that an ARB bumper or something similar?

Thanks!

It’s an 08 LC200 on a BP-51 suspension and 285/70R17s. The lift maybe gave me 2 to 2.5” and tires another 2”. I’d go measure it and send you pics but I literally just dropped it off to get a front bumper put on and finish the project off.

It’s an 08 LC200 on a BP-51 suspension and 285/70R17s. The lift maybe gave me 2 to 2.5” and tires another 2”. I’d go measure it and send you pics but I literally just dropped it off to get a front bumper put on and finish the project off.
@LittleBurroAZ Congrats on getting a new front bumper! Which one are you getting? Also, which one do you have on the back? I'm still a ways away from getting bumpers but I can still dream :)

Left off some details. From the pics you can see I removed the splash guards to prevent any running. There some slight shaving on the lower front of each wheel well as well to prevent rubbing as well. We are talking little slivers about 1 cm wide by an inch long. No issues rubbing at all.

@BigMF I am getting a Dissent bumper put on up front. Not super heavy duty but suits my wants and what I’ll be doing. Slee Off-road rear bumper. Expensive rear, but it has been worth it to have a rear dual swing out that hasn’t been a PITA and that has awesome build quality.
On the rear are maxtraxx boards strapped on to the discovery at3 Xlt spare tire.

@BigMF I am getting a Dissent bumper put on up front. Not super heavy duty but suits my wants and what I’ll be doing. Slee Off-road rear bumper. Expensive rear, but it has been worth it to have a rear dual swing out that hasn’t been a PITA and that has awesome build quality.
On the rear are maxtraxx boards strapped on to the discovery at3 Xlt spare tire.
Can't wait to see the Dissent bumper!

For 34” it’s the mudflaps behind the feont wheel, and you may have to push the front liner in front of the front wheel forward. Neither requires a heat gun. Pushing the front liner forward is undoing three little screws, using scissors to slot the plastic for the z nut ( one each side) and using the two existing holes plus the new z nut location to screw back in an inch further forward. Pics on a couple other threads.
Tires are a every couple year purchase so you’ll have another chance to go bigger. But then again you’re doing it now.
I will also say 34” is at the top end of tire size without moving to 4.88 gears. 33” will be more driveable for sure.

Sadly yes

ARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!! Absolutely love that bumper but I really don't see driving to California from Tennessee just for a bumper. I'll go cry in my coffee now.

ARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!! Absolutely love that bumper but I really don't see driving to California from Tennessee just for a bumper. I'll go cry in my coffee now.

Yeah, at the moment you would need to bring it in to their shop. They will be shipping them at some point, so it might be worth dropping them an email to get your name on the list of interested buyers.

And I would challenge you on the idea that driving out to have a bumper installed is not worth it. The Dissent shop is surrounded by some of the best trails in the country. Aside from the Rubicon and Fordyce, there are hundreds of miles of amazing trails throughout the Sierra. In addition, on the drive out and back you would pass through the Rockies (WRNF), and some of the best parts of Utah, and Death Valley, and the Eastern Sierras. If you take the the I70 route through Denver->Grand Junction->St George->Vegas->Lone Pine->Tahoe, you would essentially hit the best that the US has to offer as far as scenery and overloading opportunities. It is the perfect road trip for an LX. Hell, just the section of I70 between Denver and Vegas would blow your mind.

No better way to break in your truck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom