What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Completed some of the last things on my need-to-do list, unfortunately with some of the issues probably wiped out the budget for the wants/dreams list. Car runs pretty good but the timing job date was a mystery, called the dealerships where it was serviced and could find record with the last 160K miles. I've been hearing some bearings in pulleys on cold starts, turned out to be tensioner bearing and fan bracket. Radiator has been leaking for seventh month from a pin hole in the top left and then the fan was spraying it all over the engine bay made a huge mess. Fan shroud only had the top half and was held on by zip ties. Before:
IMG-4059.jpg

Ended up replacing cam seals, crank seals, water pump, timing belt, timing tensioners and pulleys, putting in the missing dust cover, new thermostat water inlet (because I broke the old one), thermostat, thermostat outlet, fan bracket, tensioner, idler pulley, radiator, hoses, fan shroud, and radiator cap. Reconditioning all the cover and hardware too.
used my CNC table as a staging area for parts, and the wife was out of town so cleaned all the parts on the kitchen counters:
IMG-4058.jpg

IMG-4057.jpg

Started Saturday and greatly underestimated how long it would take. I would doing a lot of cleaning of the plastic and the nuts/bolts but there also several very stuck pieces. Including this:
IMG-4068 (1).jpg

and it left a little piece in there, in was cemented in there pretty good with some of that seal packing gasket. This obliterated all hope of finishing on time since nobody had the part and it wouldn't come in till Wednesday. Ending up having to borrow someones car for Sunday and Monday and then renting a car Tuesday through Thursday. So between renting a car, buy a new inlet/housing, then ended up getting these tools for $80 on amazon (only one that shipped next day), did take away from some of the thriftyness of this job:
1583507654507.png
I wish Autozone or somebody would have a good tool like this to rent but alas. Didnt have anything to make a good homemade one but these made it so easy to get exact torque specs and get the timing right. The new thermostathousing/Water inlet has a new design actually, kinda nicer to work with. @2001LC sent me some of that expensive Toyota coolant gasket seal which was nice. Tons left if anyone wants it.

Timing Belt/Water Pump combined with the radiator job took all together probably 12-14 hours over a couple days. I'm slow, was watching the OTRAM videos, rechecking against the FSM, and cleaning but honestly I was decently organized and dont know how I could have done it much faster. Draining the coolant from radiator and engine is slow and time consuming. So I know personally I would say dont plan to finish this in one day. Buttoned it all up and did 2 fill, rinse, and drains with distilled water, and then filled with Zerex, sounds good, looks good, and so far no leaks.
IMG-4094.jpg

Timing Belt/Water Pump combined with the radiator job took all together probably 12-14 hours over a couple days. I'm slow, was watching the OTRAM videos, rechecking against the FSM, and cleaning but honestly I was decently organized and dont know how I could have done it much faster. Draining the coolant from radiator and engine is slow and time consuming. So I know personally I would say dont plan to finish this in one day. Buttoned it all up and did 2 fill, rinse, and drains with distilled water, and then filled with Zerex, sounds good, looks good, and so far no leaks.
View attachment 2230653

Good for another 500k miles!

Nice job! :clap:

Good for another 500k miles!

Nice job! :clap:
That's the dream. Oil analysis says it should be fine. Might get the transmission fluid tested soon. With all the weak-points in the cooling system sorted out (heater tees, hoses, radiator, and such) hopefully it shouldnt be a problem. Would make this car a hell of a value bargain if I can even get even another 200K.

It's custom ($140). I looked into buying online but did not like the coverage and the finish.

There was a guy on here previously selling them. Crawlorado was the name if I remember. I think they were like $85 or something.

That' a great looking hood decal - can you buy one online or was it custom made?

Here's where you can get one for $89.99....

View attachment 2230653
I’m not much help but would have come over to lend a hand had I known. I’m just over the mountain in the sticks beyond crozet.

Not today but over the last two weeks. Started out stock with non functioning AHC.
New OME lift and AHC delete, diff drop, bumpers (front and rear), wheels and tires, ball joints, tie rod ends. Now all it needs is a bath and alignment. Still haven’t driven it yet. Gotta install winch and wire the lights in bumpers. Oh and find a matching spare wheel/tire.

B0ACAAE8-7545-4CAE-A458-E5B164346306.jpeg

E644324F-8A16-4A22-B6D0-DCD852153C26.jpeg

Not today but over the last two weeks. Started out stock with non functioning AHC.
New OME lift and AHC delete, diff drop, bumpers (front and rear), wheels and tires, ball joints, tie rod ends. Now all it needs is a bath and alignment. Still haven’t driven it yet. Gotta install winch and wire the lights in bumpers. Oh and find a matching spare wheel/tire.

View attachment 2231336

View attachment 2231337
What rear bumper is that? Looks good.

And that's exactly the type of story to motivate me to just get OEM.

Was there no previous indication that the struts were starting to go bad?

hand.jpg

I hadn't noticed any issue prior. Looking back at local almanac info the temp would've been ~40-45F. Snapped this photo of my hand -after- the blood had returned to my fingers. I still have a scar on my middle finger...

Here's where you can get one for $89.99....

My hood looked like the Duke boys used it to slide over. Cost me about $20 to do mine with plastidip. Tempted to a do a 100 watt flexible solar panel on there.

Hood 1.jpg

Hood 2.jpg

Ok this is more I’m doing this right now...I’m installing some Old Man Emu springs 2865, now everything I see says that these are for 1.5” lift medium duty up...are they really shorter than the OE springs...everything was stock on this vehicle or at least shocks were and I thought springs....is that for real? So are they are stronger compression?

C342D3CF-00F7-41EF-8659-5FA88AA019AB.jpeg

Took off OME shocks and installed Tough Dog 41mm fronts and 45mm adjustable rears from @TRAIL TAILOR . Still have the OME 865 medium springs.

So far so good. Fixed some crazy squeaking and a much less tooth-rattling ride.

Hard to get a good shot of the rears installed.

IMG_0713.jpg
IMG_0712.jpg

Ok this is more I’m doing this right now...I’m installing some Old Man Emu springs 2865, now everything I see says that these are for 1.5” lift medium duty up...are they really shorter than the OE springs...everything was stock on this vehicle or at least shocks were and I thought springs....is that for real? So are they are stronger compression?

View attachment 2231969
Higher spring rate of the new springs means they won't compress as much with the same weight. So, even though it seems counter-intuitive, you'll still see more height out of the shorter springs (in this case).

Higher spring rate of the new springs means they won't compress as much with the same weight. So, even though it seems counter-intuitive, you'll still see more height out of the shorter springs (in this case).
That’s what I figured but I just wanted to make sure. I check height after wards and it’s makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom