Stupid Question du jour: Tcase & Tranny Oil Levels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve maintained 44 for 6 years now and have checked tranny/tcase gear oil many times... today, I don’t fully recall...

44 has the oem leak between the tcase and tranny and I use @shipmag’s most excellent bypass hose, to mitigate the issue.

I’ve also had a small gear oil leak somewhere, but not nearly enough to justify hurting myself, to track it down.

Today, I decided to check the tcase oil level (because the bypass hose allows tranny oil to flow back to the tcase (IIRC)).

I removed the tcase-end bypass hose banjo plug and was surprised to find a freely flowing stream of gear oil, from the fill hole.

While it was flowing, I removed the tranny end and found it freely flowing as well.

Since I’m more forgetful than I was even a year ago, I started doubting myself... was I doing this wrong

As I recall, my procedure was simple, if the tcase was low, I added oil... that simple.

IIRC

The leaking seal allows gear oil to flow from the tcase to the tranny, overfilling the tranny.

The bypass hose allows the tranny overfill to flow back to the tcase, raise the oil level in the tcase, while lowering the level in the tranny.

Am I misremembering any of this?

I would be most grateful, if someone would please list the steps for checking/maintaining gear oil levels in a configuration that includes the use of a bypass hose?

I’m thinking I may have overfilled it last time.

:cheers:

Danny, I have the same setup on my rig, and a similar problem.

Mine seems to overfill the t case and I run low in the tranny.

I just keep an eye on it. Maybe I’ll get around to pulling the t case one of these days.

Danny, I have the same setup on my rig, and a similar problem.

Mine seems to overfill the t case and I run low in the tranny.

I just keep an eye on it. Maybe I’ll get around to pulling the t case one of these days.

Thanks Ryan!

But, this time, both were overfilled... free flowing out their fill holes.

I’ve always been careful to ensure I didn’t overfill.

I can’t recall ever seeing this before and started questioning my memory... not the first time...

Maybe I DID overfill it last time... fortunately, I have been able to drive her much since then.

I let both drain down to their appropriate levels and KNOW neither is overfill this time.

I’m working toward a trip and want to be sure I know how to properly check the levels... I think that I should be able to just check/maintain the tcase... but, now I’m wondering... say, she’s been sitting, unstarted, for a couple of weeks... how I know the tranny isn’t gonna be overfull, because the tcase overfill would gravity feed back to the tranny while she’s sitting, unstarted?

Is that the step I’m missing? Should I always drive her before check the tcase fluid level?

Or, should I always check both the tcase and tranny?

Got me one of those handy hoses as well......... guess I need to check my levels since I haven’t in a while! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom