Help! Engine rebuild on 1 week old 89' fj62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What was the findings? Crack head? rings are leaking etc.
Did they tell you what was the readings from the compression test? What is included in the $6500 estimate? for an inline 6 engine it's a bit high IMO.

Did they say what the likely problem was? Cracked piston or head etc? If the heads cracked , that makes a rebuild difficult. A good used 3fe sounds a lot cheaper.

They said it’s a piston and a rod and they won’t know what else til they get in there. My only concern is if I get another engine the same thing could happen again?! And don’t want to deal with this again.... but I could get a low mile 120-160k engine from cruiser parts for $2250-2500 and I would trust them ... they do compression checks on all their engines before shipping and offer a warranty?!

Did they tell you what was the readings from the compression test?

No they said low compression and piston and rod I’m going in tomorrow to talk to them.

Did they tell you what was the readings from the compression test? What is included in the $6500 estimate? for an inline 6 engine it's a bit high IMO.

What they told me is they send the engine out to have it rebuilt they said that starts at $4000 then the labor to put it back.... he said you May need new hoses or a water pump... they said $6500 is the highest and I said I need a number I’m not gonna leave it open.... seems high to me too..... but I also want a reputable shop for resale value.... i’m going to talk to Cruiser parts.net tomorrow and see what they can do and getting me a low mile engine looks like a 120k mile engine is about $2250.... it may be a cheaper route to go and they do a compression checks before shipping and also have some warranty.?

$6500 to Remove Rebuild and Replace seems low to me, considering if the head is cracked and they have to spend time to source one. Rebuilding these odd-ball engines is not cheap, if you want it done right.

If you get a good used engine and your original head is ok, that's well worth hanging on to, or could be sold. win win,
Anecdotally I got a used 3f that had 180,000 km's and it's been fantastic so far 10,000 or so km's done. These engines are pretty tough.

Last edited:
I would either pay more to have the engine rebuilt or look for a good used one that is not on the other side of the country. If you have issues with a used engine what recourse will you have if the seller is a few thousand miles away? There are reputable shops on the west coast that do a lot of engine swaps and may have a good 3FE available.

I would either pay more to have the engine rebuilt or look for a good used one that is not on the other side of the country. If you have issues with a used engine what recourse will you have if the seller is a few thousand miles away? There are reputable shops on the west coast that do a lot of engine swaps and may have a good 3FE available.

Thank you I agree I met with the mechanic today and we are gonna start the rebuild of the current engine they are on the h8tmud mechanic list and a lot of my buddies go there. buy buy $6500 :((((

$6500 to Remove Rebuild and Replace seems low to me, considering if the head is cracked and they have to spend time to source one. Rebuilding these odd-ball engines is not cheap, if you want it done right.
Agree, head is fine.... so Im gonna go ahead with the rebuild!!! I called around and they are the best priced, other shops wanted $8000+

What they told me is they send the engine out to have it rebuilt they said that starts at $4000 then the labor to put it back.... he said you May need new hoses or a water pump... they said $6500 is the highest and I said I need a number I’m not gonna leave it open.... seems high to me too..... but I also want a reputable shop for resale value.... i’m going to talk to Cruiser parts.net tomorrow and see what they can do and getting me a low mile engine looks like a 120k mile engine is about $2250.... it may be a cheaper route to go and they do a compression checks before shipping and also have some warranty.?
talked to the mechanic today..... low compression, and rod knocking.... so rebuild for sure. Compression check worked my dad did it and showed coming from the piston or valve. Talked to all my mechanic buddies and all the machine rebuild shops in my area and gonna stick with keeping my car original and go forward with the rebuild. I don't want to roll the dice an buy another working engine and go through this again... one and done. They are going to go through it thoroughly on monday and give me a final number...... I said I want them to check it all... alternator , fuel pump water pump ect.... They are highly qualified and have a shop full of cruisers.... so here we go...... wish me luck guys :)

Good luck Nene, and I hope the seller genuinely didn't know about the bad piston, because that would be plain wrong.

Same.... I’ve spoken to him many times and the tine has changed... funny thing is, mechanic I’m working with his bought cars from this guy and swears that he’s honest.... The guy sells tons of cars and has a website .... my mechanic is trying to push the guy to help with the rebuild... super nice people... but s*** happens 🤷🏼‍♀️ I drove it before I got it and never heard the knocking ... so moral of the story is a bad exhaust leak can cover the sound of a bad engine.... all well.... I hope it’s all worth it.

oyota FJ62 FJ80 Lexus 4.0L 3F 3FE 3F-E 1988-1992 Remanufactured Engine

Popular Item
2 watched in last 24 hours

Item Information

Condition:

Remanufactured

“This engine is a Remanufactured Engine with all Brand New OEM Internals such as Pistons, Rings, Rod ”
... Read more

Quantity:

5 available

Price:

US $3,795.00
$183 for 24 monthsopens a installment calculator layer * $183 for 24 months. Minimum purchase required.

Buy It Now

Add to cart

Add to Watchlist

10 minute call for repair assistance with a certified technician - $14.95 10 minute call for repair assistance with a certified technician - $14.95 Opens an information Overlay

218k 3fe.

Lots of 80’s being parted in the mud classifieds

I like PitBull Pete's idea. And I'll take it one step further. I recently had a remove, rebuild and replace job done on a head that had two burnt exhaust valves. I was charged way too much for a job that had corners cut. I could have done it myself with the help of MUD for 1/4 the price. I've sworn off mechanics from here on out.

Anywho.. buy the remam, YOU swap it in and then rebuild the original at your leisure to learn, have fun, etc.

Save thousands, learn a ton, and a have the spare engine should you ever want to go back to all original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom