North GA river trips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rex in bama

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking to take at least one north GA river trip (canoe overnighter, moderate whitewater) in the mountains this Spring. I know the Toccoa and Amicalola well, so interested in what other options folks here know of. Talking Rock has always been on my list, but camping options sound limited.

Sorry for the non Toyota post, but will certainly be hauling the canoe and gear in the gx or 80, and will have at least one other Toyota fanatic joining me.

I’m down for a trip. I moved here from Florida and I haven’t done any canoeing in North Georgia yet. My canoe has been collecting dust in the basement.

Looking to take at least one north GA river trip (canoe overnighter, moderate whitewater) in the mountains this Spring. I know the Toccoa and Amicalola well, so interested in what other options folks here know of. Talking Rock has always been on my list, but camping options sound limited.

Sorry for the non Toyota post, but will certainly be hauling the canoe and gear in the gx or 80, and will have at least one other Toyota fanatic joining me.
There’s a good book I read several years ago called Canoeing and Kayaking in Georgia. If you can find it, it’s loaded with info.

I’ve heard cool things about the Etowah through the Dawson Forest. There is apparently a pretty long tunnel that you go through. I haven’t done it and don’t know the camping situation but sounds like a good trip.

I’ve heard cool things about the Etowah through the Dawson Forest. There is apparently a pretty long tunnel that you go through. I haven’t done it and don’t know the camping situation but sounds like a good trip.
I have seen a video of someone going through that. Pucker factor must be high - what if water is really moving and there is a strainer halfway through?!

I’m down for a trip. I moved here from Florida and I haven’t done any canoeing in North Georgia yet. My canoe has been collecting dust in the basement.
Good deal - will let you know if something gets put together. Unfortunately mine have been gathering dust too long, as well. Pretty sure we met at the sweetwater event - you were in the 100 series, right?

Good deal - will let you know if something gets put together. Unfortunately mine have been gathering dust too long, as well. Pretty sure we met at the sweetwater event - you were in the 100 series, right?

about time for another sweetwater trip for the atlanta guys

Hiawassee up in tn? If so, have done that stretch in a canoe and it is great, but not an overnighter

Keep an ear out for banjo music.🤣

del-1.jpeg
del-2.jpeg
del-3.jpeg

There is a route on the Chattahoochee south of Helen that can be done as an overnight through Raft, Canoe, or Kayak the Chattahoochee River | Wildwood Outfitters | Take only memories…Kill only Time…Leave only ripples. Not sure if they're still handling campground use, but they can tell you about it. The river passes Buck Shoals WMA and it used to be river access only. It looks like that has changed, but it's worth looking into. Wife and I did a kayak trip from 115 back to 384 and it was a hell of a trip. We expected mild and it was a bit more exciting than that!

There is a route on the Chattahoochee south of Helen that can be done as an overnight through Raft, Canoe, or Kayak the Chattahoochee River | Wildwood Outfitters | Take only memories…Kill only Time…Leave only ripples. Not sure if they're still handling campground use, but they can tell you about it. The river passes Buck Shoals WMA and it used to be river access only. It looks like that has changed, but it's worth looking into. Wife and I did a kayak trip from 115 back to 384 and it was a hell of a trip. We expected mild and it was a bit more exciting than that!
Ended up doing a quick trip down part of the hooch last weekend. Took out at powers island. A lot of folks in tubes (corona be damned) and not a whole lot of shoals, but it was a nice day on the water and I got to try out the new rhino rack - ready for a bit more whitewater. Thinking Amicalola or Talking Rock if the level is right

FF9718AD-9E78-4C76-AE7E-B4301CEB5A2B.jpeg

925A9CED-63F0-4814-9756-D658C4E2137D.jpeg

Ended up doing a quick trip down part of the hooch last weekend. Took out at powers island. A lot of folks in tubes (corona be damned) and not a whole lot of shoals, but it was a nice day on the water and I got to try out the new rhino rack - ready for a bit more whitewater. Thinking Amicalola or Talking Rock if the level is right

View attachment 2341172

View attachment 2341173
I was out there in a tube! You my have seen my 200 front and center when you got out.

Do GX guys notice LandCruisers?
(kidding I know you have an 80. And my LX looks like a GX>)

Last edited:
I was out there in a tube! You my have seen my 200 front and center when you got out.

Do GX guys notice LandCruisers?
(kidding I know you have an 80. And my LX looks like a GX>)
Lol - good deal! We took out on the west side of the river, so not sure I saw it (do recall seeing a 100 series Lexus, though). There were a ton of folks out. Re: LCs, I sure as heck notice them - I drive my family crazy pointing them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom