ONSC Meet and Greet Weekend Campout 2020 - March 6-8th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jamesurq

Reefmonkey
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
reefmonkey.com
ONSC would like to invite you to join us for a weekend of family fun at "The Barn" in Troy, NC (Uwharrie National Forest)

Weekend Festivities Overview:

Friday - arrive any time after noon.
Set up your camping spot - first come/first serve.
No meals will be provided Friday night, bring your own.
Saturday Meet at the Hunt Camp trailhead at 9AM for trail Workday (optional, obviously)
Those of you that don't want to work or ride the trails, feel free to hang out at the barn
Dinner on Saturday will be sponsored by the club - it's RIBS
Please bring sides/snacks/desserts/etc that might pair well with ribs if you'd like to contribute.
Sunday morning - Club breakfast will be available -
Packup - please be sure to check your camping area for any trash before departing.

If you've never been, please feel free to read below. If you still have questions, please post them and we will add them to the list.

Frequently Asked Questions:
Where is the Barn?

The Barn is located down a winding driveway off River Road in Troy, NC.
The GPS Address to use is:
1122-1138 River Rd
Troy, NC 27371

Once you get close enough, you should see an ONSC sign by the driveway, turn in and follow the driveway a few hundred feet
Where can I camp?
There are lots of little secluded spots off by the creek. The property is quite large and there are many options. Feel free to park somewhere out of the way and walk the property before deciding. Cell phone signal is also very hit/miss so you might want to bear that in mind.
What is "The Barn"?
The Barn is a large primitive horse barn style building with open ended doors and a small sleeping area and a loft. The barn has stovetops, hot and cold running water, a fridge, several wood stoves and a large campfire for heat, and plenty of power outlets to run crockpots or charge phones.
Can I sleep in The Barn?
If you are the baby Jesus, we insist that you sleep in the manger at the XMas party - outside of that, the sleeping loft area is first come/first serve. The closed room is generally reserved - see Kenny for details
Is there a bathroom or a shower?
As in prior events, we will rent a portable bathroom - there is also the "dump house" pit toilet but no flushing toilets or showers.
Is there shopping nearby?
There's about a 30 minute drive to most shopping locations so we suggest you minimize the fast food or shopping trips
What's involved on the Workday?

From heavy lifting to light trash pickup - there's a job for everyone. Likely we will work on fixing guard rails or repairing trails. That opportunity to give back to the forest comes with a benefit. You now will have a brief opportunity to ride the Uwharrie Trail system off-season - that's right, no traffic!
Do I have to stay for breakfast on Sunday morning?
You don't have to do anything - but if you can, I do ask that you make an effort to stick around this time. Feel free to help cook/prep/clean up/etc!
What is the cost?
Zero
Who do I have to thank for this amazing location and event?
Be sure and thank Lydia and Kenny Monk for their continued hospitality. This event would not be possible without their help and involvement!

This thread is subject to change as details become available. Please check back periodically.

See you at Uwharrie!

Last edited:
I am not going to be there until saturday afternoon unfortunately. Can't get work off.

We will definitely be there! I will be doing everything I can to make up for my lack of volunteerism last year.

I am not going to be there until saturday afternoon unfortunately. Can't get work off.
I heard that the white flu is going around that month....

@jamesurq my dad and his buddy who just bought a 40 might be coming. My dad has to help some at my grandparents though during the day and isn’t sure when he will be done yet.

Sadly our most of our weekend is booked. We might be able to swing by sometime saturday morning, but unfortunately no camping :bang:

was really looking forward to it but don’t think I can. getting ready to sell my house, and have way too much to do before it goes on the market next week. anyone need a fabulous old house in ardmore?;)

Hate I'll have to miss it this time around. See you guys next month at CRR!

I am most likely out. Have fun everyone

Coming up Friday

What are you bringing to contribute Saturday night?

I'm thinking this delightful Hotdog and Pickle Juice Jello Mold:
89290180_3160753110602967_5421446808679219200_n.jpg

mmmmmmm......

;)

Crock pot of baked beans and a fancy bundt cake.

Food truck tomorrow at the BP for anyone coming early.
Here's what we have lineup for you this week:

Friday 3/6/2020@
Swift Island BP
4560 NC 24/27 - 73 hwy
Mt. Gilead, NC 27306
11 am to 4 pm

Menu:

* Surf N' Turf Tacos - $8
Corn Tortilla| Grilled Scampi Shrimp| Ribeye Strip|
Asian Slaw| Cilantro| Jalapeno|
Hilltop's Signature Shrimp Sauce

* Salmon Burger w/Chips $9