Trap Shooters Unite! Sunday April 5th- CANCELLED will reschedule (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NCFJ

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Cancelled-will reschedule

Sun April 5th Noon till...........

Heather bought me a trap thrower for my 60th birthday! (it's not till Feb)
I bought a wobbler attachment for it. I put it all together this morning and we've been trying it out.
Too much fun shooting trap on our own property!

Here is the really cool part. We are buying biodegradable clays that are primarily made from lime. Our paddocks require lime according to the soil survey. So we are liming the paddocks :)

Are there any trap shooters in the club interested in shooting some trap?
Are there any shooters than have never shot clays and would like to give it a try? We have had a generous offer to use another member's shotgun. We'll pair you up with another member with experience.

Let me know in this thread and we can set up a date.

Standard rage rules regarding safety apply. The area where the thrower and participants are is fenced so kids are welcome and will be behind the action with shade trees provided.

Range fees are $2.50 per round to cover clays (25)

Showing up in a Land Cruiser gets bonus points

100% Safe – 100% of the time – NO EXCEPTIONS!

Safety is everyone's responsibility. Everyone (participants and guests) must observe the safety rules to ensure that everyone remains safe while participating in the Shooting Sports Programs.

MAT SAFETY:

1.Muzzle of the Shotgun – The muzzle is to be controlled and pointed in a safe direction at all times. Muzzle cannot be rested on any part of the body including but not limited to foot area, chin, hand and arm (even if you “know” it’s unloaded, treat all firearms as if they were – in a safe direction). Do not point the shotgun at anyone or anything other than the designated target.

2.Actions Open – Automatic and pump guns must have the action visibly open at all times with the barrel pointed up when walking and riding. The open action will be facing forward when carrying the shotgun. Over/under shotguns must be carried over the shoulder with the barrel in front controlled by the hand on the barrel and pointed down. Do not load ammunition into the shotgun until the shooter is actually standing on the designated pad (skeet/trap) or in the box (sporting clays) and ready to shoot.

3.Trigger - keep finger off the trigger until in the box, muzzle pointed in a safe direction, and ready to shoot.

COMMANDS:

Shout “CEASE FIRE” if you witness a safety violation. Immediately stop shooting when anyone calls "Cease fire." ANYONE can call a “Cease Fire” if you see or believe there is something unsafe going on (i.e. muzzle not pointed in a safe direction, someone walks forward into the line of fire, etc.) Upon hearing “CEASE FIRE”, stop firing immediately, unload the firearm and open the action, and wait for further instructions from the person who called the “Cease Fire” or other safety officer.

“Range Hot” – Shooters must first ensure there is no one down range; when the range is declared "HOT" shooters are permitted to commence firing.

KNOW YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND:

Be mindful of adjacent areas and act accordingly.

Caution is to be exercised when picking up empty shells at skeet stations 1, 7 and 8. No one should be shooting on fields on either side that would be directing fire in the direction of stations 1, 7, or 8.

MALFUNCTIONS:

1.Ammo and Gun Malfunctions – When a gun malfunctions there is the potential of 2 hot ends – muzzle and action. Keep the muzzle pointed down range and the action/chamber pointed down and away. Wait 30 seconds – unload the gun with both ends pointed in a safe direction. Shooting can continue after gun is cleared and safe.

2.Hang fire refers to an unexpected delay between the triggering of the shotgun and the ignition of the propellant. Wait 30 seconds. Unload the gun with both ends pointed in a safe direction.

3.Squib loads - in which a fired projectile does not have enough force behind it to exit the barrel, and thus the wadding becomes stuck. This type of malfunction can be extremely dangerous, as failing to notice that the projectile has become stuck in the barrel may result in another round being fired directly into the obstructed barrel, resulting in a catastrophic failure of the shotgun’s structural integrity. Ramrods are provided on all courses and ranges.

4.Malfunctions – In competition, each shooter is typically allowed a total of 3 malfunctions without any loss of targets. After 3 malfunctions, all others will be scored as lost targets. Shooter error (forgetting to take the safety off) is not considered a malfunction and targets will be scored as lost.

OTHER SAFETY:

Ear and Eye Protection – Required by everyone on the course – shooters -coaches – parents – spectators – club personnel. No Exceptions!

Be sure the gun is safe to operate. Know how to use the shotgun safely. Use only the correct ammunition.

Factory Ammunition Only – No reloads allowed! No Exception! Legal ammunition for 12, 20, 28 and .410 cannot exceed shot size greater than #7 1/2 shot – #8, 8 1/2 or #9 shot is legal. The maximum load for 12 GA – 1 1/8 oz of lead – 20 GA – 7/8 oz – 28 GA –3/4 oz – .410 – 1/2 oz in a 2 1/2” length shell.

The shotgun should never be loaded with more than two shells. Shooters can load 2 shells maximum on the sporting clays and skeet courses, 1 shell at a time on the trap field for a single target or 2 shells for doubles.

Slings and Straps – Slings and straps attached to the shotgun are NOT allowed.

All guns will be unloaded and transported in vertical position while on golf carts/ATV's.

When moving from one position to another on the skeet, trap, and 5-stand ranges, the shotgun must be open

If you drop a shell, leave it on the ground until after you have shot your turn, your shotgun is open, and it is safe to bend over to pick it up.

If someone must check the trap machine, each shooter needs to unload and put their shotgun into a safe (open) condition.

Do not walk or stand in front of any active trap machine. Targets leaving these machines travel in excess of 40 mph and WILL CAUSE INJURY. No one should be handling the thrower control at the time shells are being picked up.

Footwear – Open-toed shoes, such as flip-flops / sandals / etc. are NOT allowed.
Courtesy – 1) be respectful to others; 2) show good sportsmanship; 3) Pickup all used hulls from the skeet and trap fields at the completion of the round/set. Pick up hulls from each sporting clay station as you go, however, usually in competitions, hulls are left at each station on the course as squads rotate through. All hulls are then picked up by each squad shooting their last station.

The use of alcohol before or during the handling of firearms is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

Last edited:
Heather bought me a trap thrower for my 60th birthday! (it's not till Feb)
I bought a wobbler attachment for it. I put it all together this morning and we've been trying it out.
Too much fun shooting trap on our own property!

Here is the really cool part. We are buying biodegradable clays that are primarily made from lime. Our paddocks require lime according to the soil survey. So we are liming the paddocks :)

Are there any trap shooters in the club interested in shooting some trap?
Let me know in this thread and we can set up a date.

Standard rage rules regarding safety apply. The area where the thrower and participants are is fenced so kids are welcome and will be behind the action with shade trees provided.

Range fees are $2.50 per round to cover clays (25)

Showing up in a Land Cruiser gets bonus points
Yes! Fortunately I am close enough I can just pop over when you get it sorted out. I sold the over/under when I quit Tryon Gun Club (ironically because they prioritized skeet over rifle/pistol) but still have the duck gun and tactical thingy.

I love shooting trap and sporting clays but it's been a while. I need to dust off my Benelli Supernova.

Bummer that you sold your O/U Bryan, duck gun will work, just a different aim point.
Get out your duster Jonathan :)

We were pretty cold by the time we came in yesterday, plan on getting cold again today too.
Some time in late Feb or early March should be warm enough. If folks enjoy it, we'll keep doing it.
I have a few limbs to trim up by the shooting station, other than that, good to go. We're thinking some door mats to throw out as stations.

Sporting Clays. Shot the NC circuit for a couple years. I have a browning citori on permanent loan from a buddy

Sporting Clays. Shot the NC circuit for a couple years. I have a browning citori on permanent loan from a buddy

Looking forward to shooting with you Patrick!

Heather and I were at Academy Sports in Spartanburg last week and there was a Browning Citori sitting there on the rack, marked down to $1,699.00. It was marked as a 26" barrel. Heather tried it on for size and loved it. She took photos of it and the sales tag and discovered it was a 2013 model, still new. It had a little surface rust started on the bottom of where the barrels lock in, no big deal really but certainly good for a bargaining point.

She made the guy at the counter an offer on it and the best he could do was another 5% off. Not good enough. We walked away and she called the manager the following day and turned on her "used car saleswoman" speaking about the rust, that it's been sitting there at least 6 years and how the manager probably would like to clear it from inventory and bring in something that may actually sell. We have a winner!

She got another pretty steep discount from the manager and came home with it. She stole it. Only drawback, she thought, was 26" barrels rather than 28" which is preferred. I had it broken down and was cleaning years of dust and dirt off it and she noticed that the barrels were stamped 28", we measured and sure enough, 28". Cool!

This gun shoots like a dream. No wonder it is ranked among the top trap guns out there. The fact that she could sell it tomorrow for at least couple hundred more than she paid does not hurt either.

Looking forward to burning some clays with club members soon. We went through a box this weekend. Does not take long.

You want to play @izzyandsue ? I thought I remembered that you liked shooting clays.

All clays used are dead prior to shooting them :)
The real magic is they are an Ag write off, liming the paddocks!

i would love to be in on this.... not sure if my winchester is any good for this but would give it a try...

i would love to be in on this.... not sure if my winchester is any good for this but would give it a try...

Give it a shot :) I started with a Remington 1100 field gun

You all can play with those quaint shooters. Best trap gun for me is Ma Duece. With a long belt.

No problem but you can only load one round at a time

Safety is the only priority, standard range rules apply

Our fencing and gate works out well for only shooters and puller past the gate. Lots of shade on the other side of the fence to sit and relax.
Heather is already starting to talk about another thrower. Think I'll play with just one for a while.

We are looking at the first weekend in April, 4th or 5th
How does that sound?

@Bryanseye
@lumbee1
@pkniland
@angerhater
@izzyandsue
@weejub
@JToobe
@bcngator00

Surely others are into shooting clays

Played around a bit with doubles yesterday. Instead of the traditional, two birds thrown at the same time, thrown the same direction every time we tried a different approach.

Machine set on wobble, throw one, right away throw the second. No idea where each will go and a very short delay between throws. It was a blast :)

Last edited:
Added to first post

Are there any shooters than have never shot clays and would like to give it a try? We have had a generous offer to use another member's shotgun(s). We'll pair you up with another member with experience.

Last edited:
Trying to get down ASAP on the 5th!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom