Headlights 1995 fj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the PO had made a ton of changes to the electrical system and I am going through and fixing them.. The issue I am having right now is that I have no low beams. I am not sure what happened but I did find a burnt relay behind the right headlight and I replaced it. I also noticed some bare wires that have been soldiered but not wrapped with electrical tape or shrink wrapped. I will be re soldiering them and shrink wrapping them tomorrow.
I wasn't getting any light, hi or low beam until I replaced the relay.
Do these bulbs have a hi and low beam on one bulb or are the high beams completely different lights? I.e. Inner vs outer head lamp.
As of right now when the lights are on with the high beams on the outer most lights work. The inner lights do not work at all nor have they ever.
I do have a Haines manual but I cannot find where I left it. It may be at my parents house where I worked on it last week. But as of right now I don't know where it is. So please no snarky get a manual remarks. I have one but am just hoping someone with a little knowledge can easily tell me the answer to my question.
Thanks in advance!

I converted to round headlights so excuse my potential bad memory. Inners are high beam and outers are low beam. each bulb is single filament. I had to put in some extra relays to make sure that when i went to the round headlights turning on my low beams wasn't also triggering the relay for the highs.

I converted to round headlights so excuse my potential bad memory. Inners are high beam and outers are low beam. each bulb is single filament. I had to put in some extra relays to make sure that when i went to the round headlights turning on my low beams wasn't also triggering the relay for the highs.
Ok, what are round headlights? But that is odd because I definetly have multi filament bulbs and they use to work with the high beams off and go off when I turned them on.
There are so many things the po did or didn't do to this vehicle its ridiculous. I don't mind the projects because I know that I can do just about everything myself. Aside from the eventual swap that I am going to have to do. 290,000 miles. But its a labor of love and I absolutely love my rig.
Thanks

I just remembered that the driver head light was the only one that worked when the brights were turned on and they are the outside bulb. After I discovered the faulty wiring/melted relay behind the right headlight. I replaced the relay and now the right one only works when the high beems are on. I think maybe the low beam element may have burned out the left bulb and when I replaced the relay the high beem started working on the right side. I just don't know what would've killed the low beams both at once. I think the po upgraded the bulbs as I have seen some suggest to the ones out of the 2000 bmw z3. I will get a picture of them tomorrow.
Thanks,

I may just re wire the entire lighting system. I have 1000 foot of speaker wire and plenty of loom. I think my nice stranded 16 gauge is bigger than the factory wiring anyways..

The outer lights are the low beam and are on both on low beam and high beam. Those are factory a 9006 bulb.

The inner lights are the high beam and are only on when high beam is selected. I do not have that bulb number memorized.

The outer lights are the low beam and are on both on low beam and high beam. Those are factory a 9006 bulb.

The inner lights are the high beam and are only on when high beam is selected. I do not have that bulb number memorized.
And the low beam is a single filament bulb and does stay on, but does not bright when the bright lights are turned on.

Sorry for the slow response... The round headlights is a conversion to the 7" round headlights that are on much older vehicles typically. Mine are Marimoto Sealed7 2.0.(Headlight conversion 7” round) but that isn't going to help you without some serious modifications. Here is what I learned wiring them up though... Brights cannot come on without low beams. Low beams come on and supply the positive lead to your high beams. when you turn on your brights the rest of the circuit comes on as your ground is then introduced via the relay.

So Here are the notes I am going from, that I made when I went from two separate bulbs to one round headlight You don't need to add an extra relay in your situation or follow these instructions, but this can help you understand how the circuit functions. I had to do this because turning on my headlights at all turned on my high beams until i made these adjustments:

if your lights take three wires:
A: + low beam
B: - Ground
C: + high beam
Then you have 2 wires from Low beam and 2 wires from High beam
2 wires for the low beam connector you connect positive to A above and the ground to B above.
2 wires for the high beam is the different part as soon as low beams are on the + wire comes hot and it awaits for ground to turn on the brights.
Relay connection that I made.
So connect the + from the car side to 30 and 86. Connect 85 from the car ground.
87 goes to the C Pole above.

Sorry for the slow response... The round headlights is a conversion to the 7" round headlights that are on much older vehicles typically. Mine are Marimoto Sealed7 2.0.(Headlight conversion 7” round) but that isn't going to help you without some serious modifications. Here is what I learned wiring them up though... Brights cannot come on without low beams. Low beams come on and supply the positive lead to your high beams. when you turn on your brights the rest of the circuit comes on as your ground is then introduced via the relay.

So Here are the notes I am going from, that I made when I went from two separate bulbs to one round headlight You don't need to add an extra relay in your situation or follow these instructions, but this can help you understand how the circuit functions. I had to do this because turning on my headlights at all turned on my high beams until i made these adjustments:

if your lights take three wires:
A: + low beam
B: - Ground
C: + high beam
Then you have 2 wires from Low beam and 2 wires from High beam
2 wires for the low beam connector you connect positive to A above and the ground to B above.
2 wires for the high beam is the different part as soon as low beams are on the + wire comes hot and it awaits for ground to turn on the brights.
Relay connection that I made.
So connect the + from the car side to 30 and 86. Connect 85 from the car ground.
87 goes to the C Pole above.
+1

Thank you so much. This is exactly the type of information I have come to expect from this forum. It is just sometimes either really hard to find or so incredibly old that the post starter has retired/died/moved on/ etc. I really do appreciate the help. If there is anything that I can do to help you in return, I will. I have turned "follow" on for you.
Sincerely.

And the low beam is a single filament bulb and does stay on, but does not bright when the bright lights are turned on.
Thanks man! I appreciate the response. I do not think that is what bulb is currently in there. I wasn't able to get under the hood today as the ice fishing was calling me. And when the wifey says go, I run!

So you have replaced the burnt relay and fixed exposed wires. You turn on the brights but the outer lights come on at that time making me think the plugs are switched between the low beams and high beams. Now this would lead me to believe that low beam plug is actually connected where the high beams should be (inner lights). Have you checked the fuse for the low beams? Of course the bulbs could be out so could you check them with a multimeter? you will want to check each side against a good ground to see if there is a short . If you have power but lights aren't coming one, then you have a bulb problem.

Chasing electrical issues is a pain, i don't know anyone on this forum that enjoys it but I think your issue is likely an issue one to fix.

So you have replaced the burnt relay and fixed exposed wires. You turn on the brights but the outer lights come on at that time making me think the plugs are switched between the low beams and high beams. Now this would lead me to believe that low beam plug is actually connected where the high beams should be (inner lights). Have you checked the fuse for the low beams? Of course the bulbs could be out so could you check them with a multimeter? you will want to check each side against a good ground to see if there is a short . If you have power but lights aren't coming one, then you have a bulb problem.

Chasing electrical issues is a pain, i don't know anyone on this forum that enjoys it but I think your issue is likely an issue one to fix.
When I trigger the high beams on my LC, as in flashing headlights, all four come on at once.

Just FYI. I was thinking about this today and was parked facing a set of windows that I could see clear reflection.

Those were my exact thoughts as I sat and thought about it on the ice today. I'm an electrician by default. Will never do it as a profession.. Again.. But I have done hi and low voltage. Spent a summer installing home theaters a long long time ago but it has always come naturally to me. I was plugging and switching with my dad when I was like 8 years old. I will get some pics of the disaster before and after when I have a little bit of time in the next few days. This isn't my main rig so I'm gtg with putting it off for a bit.
Again, thank you very much for your help and expertise. Sometimes it just takes another pov that's had some experience in the area to really nail it down. I am endebted to you, my man.

When I trigger the high beams on my LC, as in flashing headlights, all four come on at once.

Just FYI. I was thinking about this today and was parked facing a set of windows that I could see clear reflection.
Thanks dude. These are the things I wouldn't know because I'm not starting with a stock rig.. Mine has been... "upgraded" one of these days I am going to do an entire "wtf" thread with all the crap I have done or had to do to get this thing squared away. But you guys have been such a blessing I can't express my gratitude enough.
Thanks mud!

Mine has been... "upgraded"
Here is the OEM headlight schematic. I cannot over stress how important it is to have the Toyota factory service manuals for your truck.

Attachments

• Headlights.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 95
Here is the OEM headlight schematic
Yep this is important because once you fix something you will not have to deal with it for years and will forget what you did. It is good to get back to the original documented design as much as possible so you can always trace things back. Or you have to do your own documentation which is harder

First pic is of the bulb that is in there, second is the rats nest behind the right side headlight, 3rd is a view from underneath the passenger headlight, 4th is what looks to me like a ground that the po put in that's located on the wheel well behind the right side headlight.

20200301_140911.jpg

20200301_140855.jpg

20200301_141029.jpg

20200301_141124.jpg

First pic is of the bulb that is in there, second is the rats nest behind the right side headlight, 3rd is a view from underneath the passenger headlight, 4th is what looks to me like a ground that the po put in that's located on the wheel well behind the right side headlight.

View attachment 2226656

View attachment 2226657

View attachment 2226659

View attachment 2226662
Looks like the PO attempted the direct relay to the headlights in an effort to get more light.

This uses the switched circuit to switch the relay and there supposed to be a much larger red wire direct from a fused hot source to the relay and back out to the headlights.

The goal is to improve the voltage to the headlights.

Horribly botched job though.

That's how the wires were, no tape, no shrink tube, nothing... You can see the new relay I stuck on there. Is that a stock location for the relay? I am about to put a 2nd battery in that location. I have a right hand drive battery box and an isolator to do it right so I want to wire it correctly before I put that in there.

That's how the wires were, no tape, no shrink tube, nothing... You can see the new relay I stuck on there. Is that a stock location for the relay? I am about to put a 2nd battery in that location. I have a right hand drive battery box and an isolator to do it right so I want to wire it correctly before I put that in there.
No, not at all stock.

You need to track the original wires from the harness to the headlights. Use the FSM EWD to confirm which wire is which.

I hate it when people butcher things like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom