Barn Door Differences (footman loops) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
I was wondering if anyone can tell me why some barn doors have 3 footman loops, some have 2 loops, and some have none. I am assuming that the footman loop versions only came on FST rigs and the ones with no loops were on factory hardtop rigs. If that's true was it a year change between the ones with 2 or 3 loops?

IMG_3822.JPG

Capture2.JPG

3.JPG

I am unsure. I have ones with 2 and 3. As you said I am sure had to do with FST.

Early hard top did not have any loop until the mid sixties.. Believe it was the 72 model that Toyota dropped the middle loop and went to two per door. The SWB truck's tailgate did not have loops. Hard top was never offered with a tailgate so a tailgate has loop was from a FST none were from SWB trucks.

Nice side by side comparison! Pictures like these are great because I can finally say for sure that I like the right side tire carrier better, kind of like driving on the right side of the road. We all know the right side of the road is the only correct side ;) . I think I just Hijacked my own thread :cheers:

None of these are US market. Start talking what was available in what market when I get a headache trying figure that one out.

Two light license plate bracket was used on the 74 model starting 2/74. Prior to that it had the single light.
@Living in the Past ....what is the tell tale sign on the 1976 one that it is not a US market? The others I see the steering wheel clearly on the wrong side of the vehicle ;)

@Living in the Past ....what is the tell tale sign on the 1976 one that it is not a US market? The others I see the steering wheel clearly on the wrong side of the vehicle ;)

The fact it did have footman loops. To my knowledge 74s FHT still had two loops per door. Only time I seen a US imported FHT without footman loops it had a corrugated top.

The fact it did have footman loops. To my knowledge 74s FHT still had two loops per door. Only time I seen a US imported FHT without footman loops it had a corrugated top.
Thanks for the additional info!

76 in the us had left side mounted spares.
75 could be either or depending on hard or soft shell tortillas.
Thanks, Brian!

My August 1969 FJ40 "Hard Ways" has three loops on each of the rear doors.

653D006B-9F89-4C70-865C-2E5D94AFD5E9.jpeg

👆 AND the spare on the left. But that's only NA trucks. Central America used years of NOS drum brake fronts, and no dash pad dashes, and barn doors with hatches, and on and on...

By the way, the spare on the left for right lane drivers is to get it out of the blind spot.

👆 AND the spare on the left. But that's only NA trucks. Central America used years of NOS drum brake fronts, and no dash pad dashes, and barn doors with hatches, and on and on...

By the way, the spare on the left for right lane drivers is to get it out of the blind spot.

Hard to believe Toyota was just using up NOS. Wasn't just SA getting drum brake. Australia the biggest market for LC didn't get disc brakes until 10/82 the start of the 83 model year. They did get the insert dash 10/81 82 model ahead of most other markets.

I think the spare being on the opposite side was more about it being further away from the road when parked on the shoulder than blind spot. besides getting to the spare for a flat with a hatch you would have to swing the spare open toward traffic to get into the back. Ambulance doors spare doesn't need to open to gain excess to the back. LHD I can't turn my head far enough around to see spare on the left side. I can look over my right shoulder far enough to see the spare on the right side. The early corrugated tops are the worse 40 series for blind spots. No passenger side mirror. No corner windows. Much smaller side windows in the top and small window in the scissor door that didn't matter which side the spare was on couldn't see it anyway. Seen corner windows and second window added to the back. Second mirror on the passenger A pillar was very common. Doesn't appear blind spots wasn't even on Toyota's radar until mid 65 with a top that had one of the worse blind spot to the best with windows everywhere. 68 finally added a mirror to the passenger side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom