Bolt on turbo kit (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How hot does your Vband (exhaust side next to turbo housing) get? Mines at 600 to 650F after a hard run. Im trying to figure out if thats normal for specifically that spot.

20200221_113650_HDR.jpg

Are the kevlar banana hammocks available without the whole "turbo thing?"

Asking for a friend

Oh yeah AXT, but go look at the FB page what people in Australia think about them. ;)

Their turbo's are not name brand

They are basically the CXRacing of Australia. Making 50% more power on 5psi boost is impossible. With zero efficiency losses it would take 7.35psi to make 50% more power.

The $2600 kit is just the cheap turbo, the cheap manifold and and two oil lines. I could sell you that for $1300. with a genuine Borg Warner turbo. lol.

Depends on the size of the turbo.. 15 pounds out of a 80mm is not the same as a t3/t4. It's a function of volume of air not so much psi.

Yes. Having seen the crank, rods, and wrist pins in a stock 1FZ I would say it would be yawning at 8psi.

With a rebuild due in the coming couple of years, I would be ecstatic to have a full bolt on turbo option as long it was complete and all quality components. The only other route for more power is an LS swap....but that isn't a weekend proposition.
Isn't this motor fairly close the very boost able 2jz? I thought they shared a lot of the same manufacturing specs as far as bottom end composition as well as forged crank? I would think they would take at least 1 bar with just head studs. On a well sorted motor of course.

Yes. Having seen the crank, rods, and wrist pins in a stock 1FZ I would say it would be yawning at 8psi.

With a rebuild due in the coming couple of years, I would be ecstatic to have a full bolt on turbo option as long it was complete and all quality components. The only other route for more power is an LS swap....but that isn't a weekend proposition.

Toyota 86 with a Turbo 1FZ-FE – Engine Swap Depot check out that beastly 1fz

Not correct it is a function of air density.

Depends on the size of the turbo.. 15 pounds out of a 80mm is not the same as a t3/t4. It's a function of volume of air not so much psi.

"
For a specific compressor pressure ratio, which is the ratio of pressures between the compressor outlet vs the inlet ((10psi+14.7psi)/14.7psi) at 10psi boost, each turbo has a different mass flow rate of air.

Take a look at two different compressor maps and it will become obvious. Imagine a ridiculously large turbo flowing 10psi of boost vs a really tiny turbo flowing 10psi of boost and it is more intuitive.

That means that just because you say a turbo is operating at 10psi, it doesn't tell you anything about how much air the turbo is providing for the engine to burn. It gives you a rough idea, but it is different for different sized turbos.

In addition, the turbos are designed to operate in a specific pressure ratio and flow range for optimal efficiency. Smaller turbos are more efficient at smaller flow rates, and larger turbos are more efficient at higher flow rates.

What efficiency in a turbo does for you is that it allows you to pressurize the ambient air with minimal energy used to heat the ambient air, and allows you to utilize the exhaust energy coming in, leading to more power and cooler intake temps."

Semantics are correct, yours were not. You said air volume, which is not correct it is the air density which is mass divided by the volume. A small turbo with a high efficiency intercooler can end with higher density than a larger turbo without an intercooler. Please take your cut and paste somewhere else. Unless there is something you are attempting to add to the discussion. This kit only comes with one size turbo.

"
For a specific compressor pressure ratio, which is the ratio of pressures between the compressor outlet vs the inlet ((10psi+14.7psi)/14.7psi) at 10psi boost, each turbo has a different mass flow rate of air.

Take a look at two different compressor maps and it will become obvious. Imagine a ridiculously large turbo flowing 10psi of boost vs a really tiny turbo flowing 10psi of boost and it is more intuitive.

That means that just because you say a turbo is operating at 10psi, it doesn't tell you anything about how much air the turbo is providing for the engine to burn. It gives you a rough idea, but it is different for different sized turbos.

In addition, the turbos are designed to operate in a specific pressure ratio and flow range for optimal efficiency. Smaller turbos are more efficient at smaller flow rates, and larger turbos are more efficient at higher flow rates.

What efficiency in a turbo does for you is that it allows you to pressurize the ambient air with minimal energy used to heat the ambient air, and allows you to utilize the exhaust energy coming in, leading to more power and cooler intake temps."

Last edited:
I am not trying to argue with you. Not suggesting that the turbo should be bigger or smaller. Just saying that psi isn't an all encompassing way to predict horsepower. Lots of variables. Size of turbo is one of them. 80 mm worth of air at 15 psi is a whole lot more than 45mm of air at 15psi... Simple as that. No need to get bent out of shape.

It is not simple as that. But thank you for coming into my thread and telling me it is that simple. Again it is the air density that matters. At the same PSI a small turbo that is intercooled can have more density than a large turbo that is not. But this thread is specifically about this turbo kit which only comes with 1 size turbo, the ATX kit that was being discussed only comes with 1 size turbo.

I am not trying to argue with you. Not suggesting that the turbo should be bigger or smaller. Just saying that psi isn't an all encompassing way to predict horsepower. Lots of variables. Size of turbo is one of them. 80 mm worth of air at 15 psi is a whole lot more than 45mm of air at 15psi... Simple as that. No need to get bent out of shape.

It is not simple as that. But thank you for coming into my thread and telling me it is that simple. Again it is the air density that matters. At the same PSI a small turbo that is intercooled can have more density than a large turbo that is not. But this thread is specifically about this turbo kit which only comes with 1 size turbo, the ATX kit that was being discussed only comes with 1 size turbo.
Don't know why you're upset. I was just pointing out a variable. As are you. Good luck with your endeavor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom