Builds “It’s only an axle swap and a motor swap” aka AK2AL aka Dream Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That said, I just hired a MSME from Iowa St, who, prior to heading to college, was an ASME Certified Master Mechanic at a Ford dealership there in Ames. He has a weekend hobby ... modeling dynamic suspension systems (no sh*t, that was his answer during the interview.)

He sounds like a computer armchair prick or maybe just a weekend armchair prick.. At any rate probably best not to have him ask the questions when you get ready to order the parts for your coil conversion.

I'd be happy to put him on a task of independent validation of the setup, in-part because:

I'm interested in the coil-sprung setup for the 55 I just bought (but have yet to go get) from @TachedOutOffRoad.

He'd be interested.

I'm interested in the answer, just in case I ever road-trip the result.

I just happen to have

a set of low-mile (137K) FJ62 axles, (that came out from under the donor for this FJ142 in the making, which I've owned since 2006, as well as

a set of ARB-locked 3rds w/4.88s

Nitro chromoly inner axles and birfs, etc for FJ62 axles that are destined for same.

So, I'm a customer, I guess, or will when I drop the credit card at ya on the phone. Sounds kewl.

I would think if you have the ability for independent validation you would have the ability to make your own mounts. At no time was it my intent hurt TT’s feelers but Clay ” @TachedOutOffRoad” was asking me what I thought about the kit and I was telling him that I didn’t know anything about it but if TT did their homework it could save a bunch of time.

Just to be clear I’m not implying he didn’t get the numbers correct but we’ll never know for sure if we can’t ask the question. Even if he dint get the numbers correct it’s not like you’re die in a fiery crash on the first test drive but as I understand it this kit should be more than a lateral when replacing your leaf springs and I would want to have a clear understanding of those benefits and be confident the parts were manufactured to take advantage of them.

In my armchair experience I thought that radius arms had good anti-dive inherent in their design and when you start doing link setups is where the struggle between anti-dive and roll center becomes more integral.

For what it is worth, I am doing this update right now. I just need to fit the LS in and get that squared away and then I am working on the 80 radius arm attachment. I am still stock 55 in the front and when I figure out how I want my brackets configured I don't mind sharing to the group. I am doing a 10" coil over and not using the spring/shock setup that the 80 has. I will be using a custom sway bar with disconnects too.

In my armchair experience I thought that radius arms had good anti-dive inherent in their design and when you start doing link setups is where the struggle between anti-dive and roll center becomes more integral.

We should take our armchair chat to the next campfire whisky night so not to offend someone here if we want to talk about specifics but this is what I believe, my understanding when you add a lift to a radius arm system a side effect on an ill-conceived system is increased anti dive, radius arm systems have a hard time controlling caster angle as the suspension cycles because the rotation of the axle is locked to the path but a proper set up radius arm system can be set neutral to negate both of these within a narrow window. Not a one size fits all but roll stiffness on a radius arm will in part come from the connection at the axle tube and its ability to resist twisting.

It was always my thoughts if I were ever to change my pig’s front suspension I would go to three link and coil overs and was hoping we were able to have a civil conversation without the need for name-calling and I could learn something about the benefits of the radius arm.

This should help things:

3qdlyt.jpg

Okay, I guess I do not know how this name calling thing works...

I get several emails and comments from computer armchair pricks on a weekly basis. When someone throws out a night and day comparison question (especially when they know the parameters you threw out after the post) and then requests information that costs 1000s of dollars to achieve, you automatically fall into that category with me and many other vendors on this and other forums.

That said, I just hired a MSME from Iowa St, who, prior to heading to college, was an ASME Certified Master Mechanic at a Ford dealership there in Ames. He has a weekend hobby ... modeling dynamic suspension systems (no sh*t, that was his answer during the interview.)

He sounds like a computer armchair prick or maybe just a weekend armchair prick.. At any rate probably best not to have him ask the questions when you get ready to order the parts for your coil conversion.

I can see how taken out of context you would assume I’m just calling @gonzopancho employee an armchair prick when in fact I’m referring to anyone that calls with a question or suggestion to a vendor that knows best.

Sorry for the confusion but as an armchair prick myself it’s hard for us to articulate our words without offending.

My armchair reclines 😝. Can we talk about Quantum physics or Molecular degeneration or A.C. systems , something simple like that 😂🤣🤯🐷

The kid is a physics major, I get enough of that in my life from him. He's involved with an international project around neutrinoless double beta-decay. Same violates total lepton number conservation. I only know what the words mean in isolation. The whole idea makes my head hurt, so if it's all the same to you, I'd rather focus on 3-link setups and maybe AC systems. :):D

The kid is a physics major, I get enough of that in my life from him. He's involved with an international project around neutrinoless double beta-decay. Same violates total lepton number conservation. I only know what the words mean in isolation. The whole idea makes my head hurt, so if it's all the same to you, I'd rather focus on 3-link setups and maybe AC systems. :):D
DAH WHAT 🤣😂🤪🤕🤓🤕🧐. Mine HURTS everyday🤕. Love this 💩🤣

I can see how taken out of context you would assume I’m just calling @gonzopancho employee an armchair prick when in fact I’m referring to anyone that calls with a question or suggestion to a vendor that knows best.

Sorry for the confusion but as an armchair prick myself it’s hard for us to articulate our words without offending.

Ah yes, thank you for helping me read!
I thought it was odd that we shifted from calling each other dicks to pricks.
Now I see, carry on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom