I have a FJ 40 and want to take the top off but the seatlbelts are attached to the top? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

is it both the upper mount and the retractor?
if it is just the upper mount you can use the lower bolt on the rollbar clamp, that is how the 79+ are setup.
for the retractor, a small plate can be welded to the lower part of the rollbar, again similar to the 79+

I don’t have that option. Is there a after market part that I can buy?

remove and use lap belts?

what year rig?
is this a US spec rig?

is it both the upper mount and the retractor?
if it is just the upper mount you can use the lower bolt on the rollbar clamp, that is how the 79+ are setup.
for the retractor, a small plate can be welded to the lower part of the rollbar, again similar to the 79+
It’s a 1977

US spec 1977 would have come with a rollbar, so is this a south American or central American rig?

how about a few pics of the inside?

There is no roll bar in European spec 40s. In the type approval documents is said to use lap belts when the roof is removed.

It’s a 1977

Not sure where I got the brackets, but the upper on is a thick piece of steel attached to the roll bar as seen below.
IMG_3685.jpg

The retractor is attached to an "L" bracket bolted to one of the lower roll bar base bolts.
IMG_3689.jpg

I took a clamp from a chain link fence and put it around my after market roll bar and hooked the shoulder part to that.
My cruiser is a 1970 so only had lap belts.
The clamps have been tested and worked.

CCOT has replacement belts with the bracket like @GA Architect pictures. That is what I have, as I didnt really trust the 40 year old belts.

Yep! @emac is correct, the brackets I use are the CCOT ones. I forgot that I used their seat belts when I sent my OEM units out for restoration.

1582725839101.png

CCOT has replacement belts with the bracket like @GA Architect pictures. That is what I have, as I didnt really trust the 40 year old belts.

same

My old `73 had a late model roll bar installed, I believe from a `79, and the roll bar came with both the retractor and upper attachment. Easy swap if you can find one.

I have lap belts and an aftermarket rollbar in my '69, so I`m either going to weld on attachment points for shoulder belts, or just refurbish the lap belts and call it a day.

You can see the belt attachments for the '79 rollbar in this photo:

i-3MDNS5b-L.jpg

Last edited:
My old `73 had a late model roll bar installed, I believe from a `79, and the roll bar came with both the retractor and upper attachment. Easy swap if you can find one.

I have lap belts and an aftermarket rollbar in my '69, so I`m either going to weld on attachment points for shoulder belts, or just refurbish the lap belts and call it a day.

The OP never posted on mud again after his it's a 77. So not sure what market cruiser he had. I did the same as you in my 68 back in 1983. I installed bucket from a 74 prior to that. Few years later installed jump seats from a 76 to finish the transition. Also has the doors off the same 79 as the roll bar. Top is from a 73 used to replace the original one that got damaged when the cruiser ended up on it's side. Somewhere around 85 added the vent windows from a wrecked 78. Quite the Frankenstein.
IMG_20190822_190135850.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom