Builds BUILD Thread - My Diesel 80 - Building for Overland Touring and High Country Adventure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I modified a Recon rack to bolt on a Slee swing out this past summer for a friend. Originally it was a 4 bike unit with a receiver mount. Cut some steel off, welded some new steel on. Drilled some holes and here you have it. He has been super happy. I originally thought I’d go this route but just was not happy with how it positioned the bikes on my truck.

77092F7D-14D2-4A5E-B660-9D81D84DAA48.jpeg

Worked out the side/under panels over the weekend... got one side welded up.

I have a plan for attaching it to the chassis on the outside of the rail. Should work out.

IMG-9448.jpg

Also made the filler plates for top and back of the chassis rail where I cut it and installed some connection plates on the inside of the chassis rail. These pick up factory bolt mounts - the ones for the spare tyre carrier. These aren't as strong as the standard tow bar ones, so I'll add some gusset and weld in there as well to make sure the tow bar doesn't come out. Handy for dry fitting though and allows me to remove so I can paint the bottom of the car body before final fitment.
IMG-9453.jpg

Really happy with how tucked up the tow bar is. This is the Toyota 2.5 tonne towbar that I have cut the mounts off and welded to my mounting plates. The bend and the connection to the rear bumper give it a lot of strength. After final fitment and welding, it will perform well.
IMG-9452.jpg

I'm a bit stuck and haven't found any great solution for the last section of the exhaust yet. Anyone got any nifty ideas?

Only a couple of hours spare over the weekend, but... a little picture update...

Welded up the wing, cover plates to the inside of the checkout for the corner of the panel. I used 3mm plate and put a couple of scores in the back of it them used a square head mallet to get the curve. Worked a treat. Tricky spot to weld though, will put this piece in first on the other side, before the under body plates go on.

Welding is slowly getting better, I've got solid wire and gas to hook up to the mig once I've finished this spool of flux wire. Looking forward to that!!

IMG_9526.jpg

Pull that flux core out of your machine and hook up the gas. Put the flux core on a shelf and save it for some future time if you run out of gas.

Ha,

Exactly what a welder mate told me to do yesterday!

I just need an adapter from the bottle to the gauges then I will do.

IMG-9903.jpg

Before 'adjustment'... I have since added a piece of angle each side connected to the bar mount plate and the chassis underside... that served two purposes.

1. To pick up the factory rated bolt holes for towing strength
2. To twist the bar so it looks straight from the sides. (amateur welder and got excited... got a bit of a twist on...)

IMG-9906.jpg

You can see now, the lines are straight along the wings ;)

Very happy with the look. :cool:

IMG-9898.jpg

This is the swingarm the 80 came with.... Solid, but makes my amatuer work look good.

My plan is to reuse the pivot in times of lockdown! and make a full width swingarm that will take the tyre and bike rack, as well as space for jerry can holder, recovery gear etc. on the other side.

This site has been awesome for scouting for ideas - thanks all for the inspo.

Here's what I tacked together yesterday... Don't stress yet, plenty of plates and gussets to be added to strengthen both the pivot point and the front to rear lateral forces!

IMG-0020.jpg

IMG-0013.jpg

I modified a Recon rack to bolt on a Slee swing out this past summer for a friend. Originally it was a 4 bike unit with a receiver mount. Cut some steel off, welded some new steel on. Drilled some holes and here you have it. He has been super happy. I originally thought I’d go this route but just was not happy with how it positioned the bikes on my truck.

View attachment 2221030

Hey @Corbet... On closer inspection the bike rack you have mounted for your mate here, is it behind a couple Jerry holders? I ended up with a similar bike rack to this, but it is the full width. Worried about movement as I need to mount it clear of the tire on the back it will be a long way out back. Seems you got away with it here? No dramas?

The only thing I don't like about your design is how much you cut off the chassis rails at the back. I get that you are trying to maximise clearance under there, but the whole back of the bar is cantilevering off those two mitred points. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it'll be fine, and I think you've done a great job with getting everything tucked in nice and neat! A rear bar has been on my to-do list for ages... maybe lockdown is the opportunity.

Flux core explains all the spatter! Get gassing as soon as you can, it makes all the difference (just don't do what I did and try to cheap out by using a bottle of pure argon so you can run TIG and MIG off the same bottle. Mig results are just as bad as flux core. :frown: )

Otherwise, looks like a nice base for a fix-up project! Have fun with it!

The only thing I don't like about your design is how much you cut off the chassis rails at the back. I get that you are trying to maximise clearance under there, but the whole back of the bar is cantilevering off those two mitred points. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it'll be fine, and I think you've done a great job with getting everything tucked in nice and neat! A rear bar has been on my to-do list for ages... maybe lockdown is the opportunity.

Flux core explains all the spatter! Get gassing as soon as you can, it makes all the difference (just don't do what I did and try to cheap out by using a bottle of pure argon so you can run TIG and MIG off the same bottle. Mig results are just as bad as flux core. :frown: )

Otherwise, looks like a nice base for a fix-up project! Have fun with it!

Cheers.

The bar has been in use for a while now, and tows well, and protects well! I've got scars on both sides... It's taken some hits and saved my bodywork and tail lights a few times.

Pic of the first scar that saved my rear (pun intended)

Yewww

IMG_1100.JPEG

Last edited:
Realised I never posted images of completed tyre swingout....

Here it is. Been a great success. I ended up just welding on a spring pin and make a receiver for it. I would like to change this out for a over centre lever lock style thing... I will do this when I add the next stage of tabs and holders to the swingarm.

I also managed to find a 33" BFG AT and get it fitted for $50 which was a win. Rattle can black to the white rim and it looks the part.

I intend to find a way to mount the following...
-maxx trax
-hi lift jack
-move the aerials to the top rail
-small gas bottle holders (for cooker) above the spare (so there's no danger with rear end collision)
-low amperage light mount, adjustable for lighting up camp

Anything else you guys can think I should be putting on there? (I already have dual tanks, standard in this model, and a range of around 1000km's, so Jerry cans aren't needed)

Cheers

IMG_0999.JPEG
61086632951__080CEE5B-08E7-4738-AECD-0495A835F787.JPG
IMG_0972.JPEG

So...

Got Miss Seven to work on the wiring. We're home schooling here in Victoria, Australia - So the mornings are full of 'curriculum' and the afternoon is for 'projects'.

Our first project was wiring up a trailer plug, as I took the old crappy one off when I took off the old bumper. She handled the test lamp and wrote down each wire color and what is was while I pressed the pedals and flicked the blinkers. She was so stoked when we plugged in the trailer and all the lights worked as they should!!
Actually said to me "Can we do more stuff like that dad, that was fun and I learned heaps". Best feedback I could ask for.

Second project was removing all the crappy wiring the truck came with. She was good at this (yes I realise she's holding the wrong end of the socket here...). May end up working in a bomb disposal unit. NO hesitation here! 😆 Second battery moved into a box behind the rear seat - no charging for the moment. Got enough for a weekend which is the most we can go away for with Isolation rules as they are... will install dc/dc charger when I start the rewiring process.

IMG_0882.JPEG

IMG_0879.JPEG

IMG_0881.JPEG

On another note... HELP! .... Can anyone help with me with a link to a thread where someone has cut and shut the low bits of panel/front guard under the front headlights? I'm going to do this before making my front bar, would love some tips!

I've been looking but cant find specifics...
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom