Moto Metal 17" wheels on 2011 LX570? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, first time poster here.

I'm looking to upgrade (downsize?) the wheels on my 2011 LX570. I currently have the factory 20" wheels but want to go down in size so I can get the benefits associated with that. I've heard that there are limited options in the 17" range, specifically the Tundra Rock Warrior wheels at $300-$400 each or some of the Method brand of trail wheels for $270/each. However, I've found some wheels by Moto Metal (model M0970) that might work. There is an eBay vendor selling them for $164/each that has all LC's and LX's from 2008 plus Tundra's as viable candidates for the 17" wheel. I like the look of them and LOVE the cost of them, especially since I'll be buying 5.

Does anyone have experience with these wheels in particular or Moto Metal in general that can give advice?

PS. I know that I'll need new tires to go along with these wheels, I'm just trying to find a good solution for a 17" wheel that doesn't break the bank or the budget set by my wife ;).

Thanks!

Biggest thing to check is offset. Lots of online vendors will list wheels with 0mm offset as compatible with the Land Cruiser, but generally 20+mm or more of offset is preferred. 25mm offset is basically flush with the fender lips. A 0mm offset will sit outboard of the fender approximately 1". You'll have more issues with tire rub as well as potentially handling rammifications with a 0mm offset rim. Icon Rebound is a good mid priced 17" rim in the 25mm offset that is very commonly used on here with good result.

I second that notion about offset. That's a big part of what the demand for the rock warrior's is. They pop up often enough, just check offerup, facebook marketplace, craigslist, mud, and even ebay. If you wait and just keep looking you can eventually find a set of 4 for $700-$100 still. I passed on a set local in Phoenix a couple weeks ago from Craigslist at i think $700.

Alternate options you can look into with close enough offset are Icon 6 speed and Evo Corse Dakar Wheels, both 17". Those have been kinda the go to 17's for people who didn't want or couldn't find RW's

Budget option is to scrap the 17 plan and buy somebody's 5 factory 18's off a 200. they sell for nothing. 18 not as good as 17, but better than 20. I think in the end i sold mine for about $250 and even that took me 4-6 months to find a buyer. very low demand for those

I did the 17 x 8.5 Icon’s with 25mm offset. Had to trim the mud flap a little bit but no big deal. 34 10.50 BFG all terrains. I did a 2” Iron Man lift but I didn’t need to lift it for the tires to clear. The tires were fine before the lift went on.
C2228A72-1878-4E61-9A37-2971CB1206E1.jpeg

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

I'm now armed with a ton more info. One of my options on the LX is the "sensor lift" to raise it considerably without a lift kit. I'm just not sure how much trimming if any I'll need to do. I like the idea of 33" or 34" tire.

I'm not planning on doing serious rock crawling (at least until I get some sliders), more overlanding type of wheeling so curious how important is to have the 17's versus the 18's.

I'm now armed with a ton more info. One of my options on the LX is the "sensor lift" to raise it considerably without a lift kit. I'm just not sure how much trimming if any I'll need to do. I like the idea of 33" or 34" tire.

I'm not planning on doing serious rock crawling (at least until I get some sliders), more overlanding type of wheeling so curious how important is to have the 17's versus the 18's.
I always advise if you are switching all 5 (which usually only happens once), to get the ideal size, 17". I know the frustration is not a lotta choices. It's worth it IMO. They are lighter than 18's, tires cost less $$, and you have more sidewall to air down which makes bigger difference than anything for offroad comfort. 33's fit fine even with no lift. 34's might require some trimming, but others could answer that better. A lot of that depends on your wheel, offset, and tire choice.

Hello all, first time poster here.

I'm looking to upgrade (downsize?) the wheels on my 2011 LX570. I currently have the factory 20" wheels but want to go down in size so I can get the benefits associated with that. I've heard that there are limited options in the 17" range, specifically the Tundra Rock Warrior wheels at $300-$400 each or some of the Method brand of trail wheels for $270/each. However, I've found some wheels by Moto Metal (model M0970) that might work. There is an eBay vendor selling them for $164/each that has all LC's and LX's from 2008 plus Tundra's as viable candidates for the 17" wheel. I like the look of them and LOVE the cost of them, especially since I'll be buying 5.

Does anyone have experience with these wheels in particular or Moto Metal in general that can give advice?

PS. I know that I'll need new tires to go along with these wheels, I'm just trying to find a good solution for a 17" wheel that doesn't break the bank or the budget set by my wife ;).

Thanks!
I have a set of Moto Metal wheels on a 2500 Ram with 35's. No complaints on the wheels for 2+ years. Like you, our LX is on 20's and other posters here. We went with 285/5520 like some others here and happy with the look. I have seen 18 TRD's going for $800 give or take on Craigslist.

Good luck!

Evo corse also has a 35 or 40mm 17”. Good offset For a 200

You've got the right idea. Good for you also in maximizing overall tire diameter as that singularly is a much bigger differentiator off-road than wheel diameter. More clearance under the axle, more traction, more flotation.

Because of the larger tire diameters you're seeking, smaller wheels aren't as important and won't make much difference over an 18" wheel. Smaller overall diameter tires would want smaller wheels. Or if you're an extreme rock crawler / off-roader.

As an avid camper and overlander, and doing my fair share of technical stuff, I've found nothing that my 33.2" tires on 20" wheels hold me back on. I often off-road with buddies with other vehicles on 35" tires, and the 200-series makes most everything easy. 10 psi over sand dunes no problem. Rides like butter.

There's pros to larger wheels which is why I stay with 20s. Towing or hauling larger loads, the additional lateral stability is helpful. I also drive hard on road, and I enjoy the sharper handling provided by the larger wheel. It's a good balance between on and off road performance. Especially as I spend 95% of the time on-road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom