Noise after 4.88 Nitro Regear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just had nitro 4:56's installed by a well known Toyota guy , I drove the cruiser home , seemed heat , made no noise. Later that nite ( last nite ) I drove to a meeting and then back ... I hear all kind of grinding noises from the front right, then front center and back as well ! He also installed new birf s ... I texted him and he said to check the flanges at the pumpkins ... I'll have them checked today by a friend whose a cruiser head too... But it's gonna suck if I have to drive the near 100 miles down there again to get them dialed in ! I assume grinding is NOT a good thing ? I'd think a little maybe in break in period but not this much noise ! I'll got get the flanges checked for up and down movement today ! Your thoughts and help would be appreciated !

I assume grinding is NOT a good thing ?
Grinding sounds after you've had new gears and CV joints installed in NEVER a good sign. Grinding coming from the outer knuckle could be from something as simple as lack of grease on the brass spindle bushing. But grinding noises, and lots of heat coming from both center pumpkins is a sign something was not installed correctly or a low gear lube level, or no gear lube at all. My advice, DON'T drive your truck 100 miles down to his shop to have it looked at. Because if you do, your going to run the chance of causing even more damage then what may of already occurred. Have it towed there, If they are a stand up shop, they should cover the cost of towing.

Yeah I just called the shop and he said they'd stand by anything they did , and to have it flatbed-ed down to them . I had a friend check the driveshafts and there is zero up and down movement ... I did drive there ( 5 miles ) and there is only a slight hum. after he verified the driveshafts don't have slop, we took it down hwy 49 up to 70 mph ... no sound other than a hum, that we assume is just brand new gears shaving off material. Ofcourse it wouldn't make the sound while someone else was listening. Anyway , I know your think I could have checked the drivelines my self .... I fell 5 months ago and ripped my right quadracep and 2 top tendons completely off my knee... so getting under anything is a little hard right now . Anyway , The shop guy said he'd pay my friend a hrs worth of labor to run the truck on 4 jack stands to see if the sound would happen and if it was more of the same , he said that he'd pay to have it towed down... and then they'd get back up to me when finished ... he is a stand up guy ! So fingers crossed ...

Yeah I just called the shop and he said they'd stand by anything they did , and to have it flatbed-ed down to them . I had a friend check the driveshafts and there is zero up and down movement ... I did drive there ( 5 miles ) and there is only a slight hum. after he verified the driveshafts don't have slop, we took it down hwy 49 up to 70 mph ... no sound other than a hum, that we assume is just brand new gears shaving off material. Ofcourse it wouldn't make the sound while someone else was listening. Anyway , I know your think I could have checked the drivelines my self .... I fell 5 months ago and ripped my right quadracep and 2 top tendons completely off my knee... so getting under anything is a little hard right now . Anyway , The shop guy said he'd pay my friend a hrs worth of labor to run the truck on 4 jack stands to see if the sound would happen and if it was more of the same , he said that he'd pay to have it towed down... and then they'd get back up to me when finished ... he is a stand up guy ! So fingers crossed ...

Just had my truck regeared and the "reputable" shop i took it to left the steering knuckles completely dry of grease. I had to replace the spindle bushing and repack both sides with grease. Since i was there i also replaced the wheel bearings. Just an FYI. Hope all turns out well.

oh I should say to that that they rebuilt the knuckles as well ... so I assume theres grease where it needs to be ...

This was done at a very reputable Land cruiser shop... that alot of folks here know , so I'll just leave it at that ... no need calling anyone out if they can make it right !

oh I should say to that that they rebuilt the knuckles as well ... so I assume theres grease where it needs to be ...

This was done at a very reputable Land cruiser shop... that alot of folks here know , so I'll just leave it at that ... no need calling anyone out if they can make it right !

yeah i am not going to throw shade at the shop i took it to. Just very disappointing when you spend a lot of money for a specific service and it still does not come out 100% right.

no sound other than a hum, that we assume is just brand new gears shaving off material.
Just as an FYI, i use to run Gleason Gear generators, that's the machine that machines the teeth on both the ring gear, and the pinion gear. If your ring and pinion gears are set up property, then VERY little material will be worn off the teeth during break in. Plus you'll have no noise or hum coming from your gear set while running.

Well I texted the installer this morning and their is a slight hum , but no more loud grinding noise , he did say the gears will sound different than my stock gears , but that there is a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty that he stands behind 100 percent ! I also had my buddy listen to them yesterday at his house and 5 acres we drove around on and of course it didn't make the loud grinding noise like it did Thursday nite , so I assume they just seated them selves and where they want to run ... He is gonna do the gear oil change at 500 miles and he's gonna check out my wheel bearings as well at the same time , so hopefully it'll be ok ! If not the installer will pay to have it towed down to his shop and he'll need to fix it at that point ! I will just keep driving mellow for that 500 miles ... Have about 300 to go ...

Thanks for everyone's help on this btw! Enjoy your weekend !

Good luck. When I had my Nitro 4.88's installed (also by a "reputable" shop) I was chasing a little noise at first. One of the things I checked was the wheel bearings. This was the day after the gear install. Found the knuckles completely empty with no grease. Don't put too much faith in everything being as it should be just because it's a "reputable" shop. There are some excellent cruiser shops out there but there are a few that still need some improvement.
Emptyknuckle.jpg

I had the knuckles rebuilt , so I'd think they'd remember to install new grease. I have brand new birfs too ...

I had the knuckles rebuilt , so I'd think they'd remember to install new grease.
Don't count on it, In all the years I've worked on cars I've seen shops make some really bone headed mistakes. I once saw a transmission shop rebuild a manual transmission, then they forgot to fill it with fluid before they delivered it to the customer. So don't think s*** like forgetting to put grease in your knuckles can't happen.

Just going down today to pick it back up. I had it flat bedded back down the 100 miles, they found a burr in the front end, replaced the carrier, new gears, etc. Checked everything , filled grease everything put on jack stands, ran it and listened... said there is a very slight whine in the tcase, but that the diffs are quiet... So fingers crossed and I'll pick it up later this morning... No Charge !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom