About 50 Gs eh? 2020 Taco Pro... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been looking at buying a Taco too. It very confusing to navigate the Toyota web site.

In an ideal world, I'd want a Quad cab, 6 foot bed, and manual transmission. But it looks like the best I can do is Quad cab, 6 foot bed and autobox in the OffRoad. Does that sound right? The Manual transmission can only be had in the Offroad or Pro Quad cab with a short bed.

It has made me look at the Chevy ZR2 2.8T for sure.

Anyone know?
Correct. for quad cab and long bed, auto is the only option. Manual trans can be had at all the trim levels with quad cab, but only with 5' bed.

Try looking at different markets. When I was looking, many years ago, Toyota sold different packages in the Midwest then they did in the Atlanta area. Its probably changed but you never know....

50 grand...Tacoma. Been considering getting out of my 80 and gx470 and picking up something newer. Both my rigs are in great shape, but I'm getting older and tired of fiddling/obsessing. Taco seems like a good truck, but damn! So 50 large is what I'm considering dumping into a new Taco pro...how awesome are these trucks? 50 Gs awesome...?
DFAE0717-892E-43FE-AF8A-553DE2484452.jpeg

I picked up a 2020 TRD PRO with a standard transmission last month and I am really digging it.

This is my 5th Toyota to date; based on my personal experience Toyota is all I will buy and sell for the rest of my days. The dependability alone makes them a worthy purchase to me.

Take care of your Toyota and it will take care of you.

@MK27Pilot - That's a nice truck. I'm very tempted.

I heard the dealers were upcharging $10k for that color. Any truth to that?

My dealer did not up-charge for the color but I guess it depends on the dealership. This is my second purchase from the same dealership so they know how to get a return customer; which is a smarter way to make $ long term than short term vis up-charge for paint.

FWIW my new 2020 TRD PRO TACO was $47K and change with TTLR OTD.

I've been looking at buying a Taco too. It very confusing to navigate the Toyota web site.

In an ideal world, I'd want a Quad cab, 6 foot bed, and manual transmission. But it looks like the best I can do is Quad cab, 6 foot bed and autobox in the OffRoad. Does that sound right? The Manual transmission can only be had in the Offroad or Pro Quad cab with a short bed.

It has made me look at the Chevy ZR2 2.8T for sure.

Anyone know?

Correct - only way to get a manual is the 5 ft. box. If you want quad cab and a 6 ft. bed, you're looking at the TRD-OR. Personally, I love having the long bed, but I DD it and find uses for it all the time. The price difference between the Pro and the OR is substantial and I think the OR is a much better deal. Put the difference in price into upgrades that make the OR a more complete truck than the Pro.
Green is only available on the Pro (at least for 2020.....)

ewillis - nice thread - original owner of a '94 80 series and thinking about doing exactly what you are for pretty much the same reasons! Just beginning to look - the 2020 Tacoma Off Road is very very appealing. I've seen a number with soft RTT's mounted to various mounting systems, but not a hard top RTT like I have. While I don't 'technically' need the double cab I think it would be worthwhile and would probably need the 6' bed to keep my hardtop JB RTT below the roof line. Just thoughts on that at first look.

Guess my first baby step will be a non committal test drive to see if I even like it! Just hard to fathom being without my Landcruiser after 26 years! I just don't get out enough! Would sell the Landcruiser and probably trade in my '13 Prius to down size the fleet at home to lessen the $$$ impact of a new purchase! I don't want t mod much at all. Sliders and a t-case skid plate and a RTT mount somehow and that'd be it...right? LOL!!! I said that same thing about my Landcruiser back in '04 when she was still stock! She isn't now!

50 large seem steep just to get the scoop.
You can get a OR-DCSB with the tech package for about 15K less. I got one 9 months ago For 35K

This was my reaction too. I’m re-shuffling my fleet, and getting rid of my $45,000 tow rig, and my 100 and looking at a $15,000 tow rig and a 2020 with OR package. Not going to bother with the Pro as I can cherry pick my mods with the saved money. Don’t get me wrong, the Pro is a nice package, but 90% of it is “farkle”.

After 35 years of wheeling my FJ40 and LX450 all over the southwest from the Rubicon to Mulege, BSC, I am over flopping my truck and breaking stuff and having to deal with the smog nazis. I will go most of the same places (taking the easy line or the bypass), but I i’ll go in style with my 2019 Taco OR-DCSB.
I finished the sliders:
I am working on the skid plates and the rack mount for the RTT.

After 35 years of wheeling my FJ40 and LX450 all over the southwest from the Rubicon to Mulege, BSC, I am over flopping my truck and breaking stuff and having to deal with the smog nazis. I will go most of the same places (taking the easy line or the bypass), but I i’ll go in style with my 2019 Taco OR-DCSB.
I finished the sliders:
I am working on the skid plates and the rack mount for the RTT.
Did you get rid of your 80?

Yes (snif). I miss it and I miss my FJ40. I sold the LX to a local guy with two kids, so it has a good home.

@ewillis I just sold my 80 and switched to the Taco as well, 2020 DCSB TRD OR. Interior wise I’d say it feels about as wide as the 80 did. Power driver seat is a nice addition to the 2020’s. Wife wanted leather so we got the premium package with the JBL. No complaints so far.

Prices out here at the 5 different dealerships in the area ranged from $37xxx-$42xxx for the same optioned out truck. So I drove the extra 15 minutes to save 5k.

And my 80 is heading to the Temecula/Winchester area, so keep an eye out for it.

And my 80 is heading to the Temecula/Winchester area, so keep an eye out for it.
Wow...surprised to see you sell the old girl! Was in great shape and you put a ton of work into it. Interesting to see the "old guard" moving on from the 80s. I get it...the 80 is just such a unique truck that it's tough for me to let it go.

...and I've decided to keep my Landcruiser. Just don't want another car payment. Did test drive the Tacoma. Very nice but not nice enough for me to give up my baby. She's been with me her entire life and I just can't let go.

It’s been tough. But lifestyle and wheeling opportunities have changed a lot for me over the past couple of years. Instead of holding on the a dream I’m letting the 80 go to someone that can love her and appreciate her the way she is.

There’s quite a theme developing here. I just bought a 2020 TRD OR Premium for the wife to daily. I will get to drive it as well, of course, but after 5 years of her driving a 20+ year old rig, she deserves the new one for her primary. I have the 100 she has been driving listed for sale. We will also miss it, but we need another tax write off, and a 21 year old LC isn’t much of one. Going to stick the 255/85 ST Maxxs off the 100 on the new Taco and sell the hundy with the fresh mall rated ATs. Otherwise, the Taco will stay mostly stock for a little while. I think we did pretty good... got the new one for $33,000 USD. I have an in at our local dealer. I was amazed how much off MSRP he gave us.

The fun part of all this, is I sold my 2014 Ram 3500 diesel to free up some cash to put into our business, and bought an ‘05 with 539,000 kms on it for myself to drive. It’s the first time I’ve had to wrench on a primary rig in a loooong time.

@ewillis I just sold my 80 and switched to the Taco as well, 2020 DCSB TRD OR. Interior wise I’d say it feels about as wide as the 80 did. Power driver seat is a nice addition to the 2020’s. Wife wanted leather so we got the premium package with the JBL. No complaints so far.

Prices out here at the 5 different dealerships in the area ranged from $37xxx-$42xxx for the same optioned out truck. So I drove the extra 15 minutes to save 5k.

I’m in the PNW right on the border of BC and Washington. We bought ours on the BC side and it is usually way more expensive here, but our truck listed at $37k. Is the JBL stereo standard with the premium package? I wasn’t able to sit in one as they didn’t have any local to me. We had a basic SR5 for a few days as a service loaner last year so just ordered based on what we like in a truck instead of going to sit in and drive them. We ordered a Silver Sky Metalic, but the dealer that had the only one in BC wouldn’t give it up. Pricks! So we ended up with white. I’m good with that as it’s the easiest color to polish bush scratches out of or touch up paint. I’m a realist. It’s going to get dinged at some point. I just hope the wife does the first one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom