Wanting to get an ARB front bumper – have many Q’s – would love some answers from people who have one on their rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Isn’t ARB out of the PNW? Wonder if they have a hub that has it in stock...$120 buys a lot of gas.
Also, highway robbery for 3 hours of install time! 60 minutes or so at most.
You got this man! Good luck.

Reactions: mrq
Isn’t ARB out of the PNW? Wonder if they have a hub that has it in stock...$120 buys a lot of gas.
Also, highway robbery for 3 hours of install time! 60 minutes or so at most.
You got this man! Good luck.

ARB has a headquarters in Seattle... But they did not have any of the non-winch bumpers in stock and the ones on the boat coming from down under were already claimed/paid for. So they only had 2 of these non-winch bumpers in the country. Which were in Jacksonville, FL.
I was bummed, because I was going to just drive up to their Seattle headquarters from Portland and pick one up. But like I said, the ones that they ordered and have coming from Australia are already claimed.

And is it? The consensus seems to be that it’s about a 1hr install. Hmm, if I do have the shop install it then I’m going to ask why they estimate a 3hr install.

Cheers!

You should just crack on with it yourself - let me know and I can help out - I was 100% serious on that.

This is a good way to gain confidence in yourself and working on these trucks - simple hand tools will get it done.

Instructions Here - it's just undo some bolts, slide the bumper over the frame rails and redo some bolts - and it's *really* obvious which ones are which once you are under there. You'll laugh your ass off that you were worried about it once you get started.

Crawl under there now and start adding some penetrating oil to the stock bumper bolts now to give it time to work it's way in - it'll make the install cake.

Last edited:
ARB has a headquarters in Seattle... But they did not have any of the non-winch bumpers in stock and the ones on the boat coming from down under were already claimed/paid for. So they only had 2 of these non-winch bumpers in the country. Which were in Jacksonville, FL.
I was bummed, because I was going to just drive up to their Seattle headquarters from Portland and pick one up. But like I said, the ones that they ordered and have coming from Australia are already claimed.

And is it? The consensus seems to be that it’s about a 1hr install. Hmm, if I do have the shop install it then I’m going to ask why they estimate a 3hr install.

Cheers!

bummer about the bumpers already being spoken for!

see if 4wp will ship free to their store ;) they may do that.

the only thing I can think of is that other bumper installs are more complicated than this. Like, a new tundra or Tacoma could take the better part of the day.
This is literally a handful of bolts to take the old one off, and a handful to put a new one on. The time comes from any persuasion needed on the frame horn.

if you have any sort of interest in learning and picking up some tools, I’d make a run to harbor freight and buy the right socket, a wrench, and a torque wrench to do the install. The torque wrench will ensure you don’t over tighten the bolts (not sure if they publish torque spec, but toyota Probably does for the factory bolts).

Reactions: mrq
Im late to the game....I vote you go with the winch version ARB....Why, because if you ever sell bumper or your landcruiser it will be Way more desirable and fetch a higher price....most want a winch option with bumper...just thoughts ;)

013.JPG

Im late to the game....I vote you go with the winch version ARB....Why, because if you ever sell bumper or your landcruiser it will be Way more desirable and fetch a higher price....most want a winch option with bumper...just thoughts ;)

View attachment 2214985

I already bought the non-winch one. But cheers for the advice! I won’t ever need a winch & I plan on keeping my Cruiser forever — or until it literally physically falls apart one day while driving, haha.

Sweet rig, btw. Is that a Yota or an LX?

I already bought the non-winch one. But cheers for the advice! I won’t ever need a winch & I plan on keeping my Cruiser forever — or until it literally physically falls apart one day while driving, haha.

Sweet rig, btw. Is that a Yota or an LX?

Thanks
Its the Toyota flagship model...LX-four fifty ;)

So here’s an update...

I GOT THE BUMPER & it’s installed!
I am so pleased with how it looks. I’ve always wanted an ARB back when I first saw some of your guys’ Cruisers w/ them years ago when I first got my LC.

I am stoked about the improved front-end protection over the stock bumper/grill guard.

I wanted to say thanks and cheers to everyone who answered my questions or gave input/advice.

The one complaint I have with the bumper is that the license plate holes were too close together to fit my plate – so we had to drill new holes in my plate. (Not the biggest deal, just a tiny complaint).

Anyways, here’s a few pictures.

80EB64A8-8EC5-4B11-8067-42F43E5EC8F3.jpeg

B3F8C7E6-9452-4750-98BF-8F84ED15CB44.jpeg

I suspect not. The ARB was originally sized for the Warn 10k winch. Most planetary drive winches fit, but the space is sopmewaht restricted. My memory of seeing the OEM (Aisin?) winch is that it's form factor is not a good match, but would be happy to be proven wrong.
The Aisin winch and winch plate can be fit into the ARB. You will need to weld in a suitable angle on the ARB to pick up the two front bolts on the winch and drill new mounting holes on the ARB for the fairlead. Move the winch controller plug onto the bumper and bob's yer uncle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom