Looking for advice on sloppy/wandering steering issue?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On the tire size VS toe:
I'm having a tough time getting my head around this one.
You are correct. If you look at the FSM, they're basing toe on the angle of the hub with OE size tires.
However, with significantly larger tires I adjust toe using the outside measurement of the tires themselves.
As tire size increases, the contact patch increases.

Has it always been somewhat sloppy, or was it sloppy after the suspension work?

I would say the drive quality has deteriorated since i've purchased the truck several years ago, which prompted all the work. I knew the truck was on the original suspension, so I had plan to overhaul that, and figured all the bushings were original as well. I've done them all in stages of course, but at this point, everything has been replaced. Quite disappointing that the drive quality isn't night and day like I was hoping for......

I would say the drive quality has deteriorated since i've purchased the truck several years ago, which prompted all the work. I knew the truck was on the original suspension, so I had plan to overhaul that, and figured all the bushings were original as well. I've done them all in stages of course, but at this point, everything has been replaced. Quite disappointing that the drive quality isn't night and day like I was hoping for......

I’d expect it to ride like crap after all those suspension changes. I’d expect it to be stiff and somewhat darty in bumpy roads.

Sloppy and vague, no.

Wanted to provide an update - got under the truck this evening and on a good note, I didn't find a single crack on any of the welds or the frame. I went over everything carefully and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Got the truck up in the air and had the wife turn the wheel several times back and forth checking everything - nothing is loose, or rattles, it's all very secure.

Wheel bearing might have had a little play, but it was hard to tell, while working one side I broke a tab off the locking washer so I'll pick up another tomorrow. I have a question, it was suggested to torque to 30ft lbs, but the FSM I'm reading says to torque the adjusting nut to 43ft lbs twice, and then tighten to 48 in lbs. Are you suggesting to tighten the adjusting nut and the locking nut to 30 ft lbs?

I also snugged up the steering arm nuts and adjusted the PSI in the tires to 34PSI. Hopefully I'll get things buttoned up tomorrow and be able to go for a drive. If things don't improve, is it possible that everything that I'm feeling is because the steering box needs to be rebuilt?

Last, attached are some pics of the steering column and rag joint that I posted a video of. Still waiting for someone to post some pics for comparison purposes. In post #9 someone mentions something about a "bearing type locating device on the firewall". What exactly are they referring to here?

Thank you guys again!

-Andy

IMG_20200218_214542.jpg

IMG_20200218_214553.jpg

IMG_20200218_214601.jpg

IMG_20200218_214840.jpg

IMG_20200218_214842.jpg

On the wheel bearings, tighten the inner nut to 30 LB-FT while rotating the hub. Back it off to finger tight, then torque to 30 LB-FT again.

Then install the star washer and bend the tab over the inner flat.

Install the outer nut and torque to 43 LB-FT.

Install drive flanges an snap rings and cap.

Still hoping that someone can post some pics of their steering shaft/column from outside the firewall as well as under the dash/steering wheel. Pics would be very helpful!!

Q1 - when you say OE...do you mean OEM or just OE? Big diff in quality there (and price) usually.
Q2 - you only went 90 degrees on the steering box screw? You could go more. I went probably 1.5 turns to 2 or 2.5. It helped my issue (same as yours), but as expected the box began to leak from the screw during use. It needs a rebuild. So I backed it off to about +1 turn from original position. Leak stopped and would say about 15% decrease in 'wandering' (which I would call sloppy as well, but hey). I think this fact too supports the rebuild plan for my box.
I'll check my rag joint(?), but yours looks sketch af. Trust you have some brackets or supports unfastened for ease of access.

Q1 - when you say OE...do you mean OEM or just OE? Big diff in quality there (and price) usually.
Q2 - you only went 90 degrees on the steering box screw? You could go more. I went probably 1.5 turns to 2 or 2.5. It helped my issue (same as yours), but as expected the box began to leak from the screw during use. It needs a rebuild. So I backed it off to about +1 turn from original position. Leak stopped and would say about 15% decrease in 'wandering' (which I would call sloppy as well, but hey). I think this fact too supports the rebuild plan for my box.
I'll check my rag joint(?), but yours looks sketch af. Trust you have some brackets or supports unfastened for ease of access.

OE, I replaced everything with Toyota parts, nothing was aftermarket, minus the OME Springs and Steering Dampener.

I only went 90 degrees on the screw because I was worried about leaking.

As for an update, I checked everything and nothing was loose, I reduced the PSI in the tires down to 34PSI and went to a new shop for an alignment after doing some research and the truck drives much better now. They did state that I likely need to get the steering box rebuilt, which will probably be my next step.

They checked the rag joint as well on truck and didn't mention anything out of the usual. I'd be interested in seeing a pic of under your column for comparison purposes.

Thanks,
Andy

I'd be interested in seeing a pic of under your column for comparison purposes.
Well I did check mine this weekend and found it as surprisingly, seemingly sketch as yours. So I guess it's floppiness is normal. As for the boot at the firewall, it too was worn, with a gap all the way around the steering rod. So again, same as yours.

Sounds like the alignment you had done did a lot. So good deal. 👍

Well I did check mine this weekend and found it as surprisingly, seemingly sketch as yours. So I guess it's floppiness is normal. As for the boot at the firewall, it too was worn, with a gap all the way around the steering rod. So again, same as yours.

Sounds like the alignment you had done did a lot. So good deal. 👍

Well that is good to hear. I replaced the seal at the firewall with a new one from Toyota. It was very easy to do, took probably 20 mins in all.

-Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom