Engine Family Comparison: 1HZ, 1HZ-T, 1HD-T, 1HD-FT (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would urge you to reconsider this as an option. Over here in Aus you can pick up FTE engines much cheaper than the rarer FT engines and guys are swapping out the electric FTE injector pump for mechanical versions which basically give you a FT engine but with all the extra goodies that come with the slightly more modern FTE internals with the different head cooling/porting and camshaft profile duration and lift which seems to give them an edge over the standard FT.

I just haven’t seen many details about converting to mechanical injection pump or tuning electronic.

Hello,

There is a detail missing on the Pros/Cons section: size.

1HZ/1HD engines are big. Both are a tight fit in a 40 Series engine bay. Not much room to move them should you need a couple inches for proper transmission mating. Not much room to move to accommodate the radiator or the fan either.

If you are comfortable working around in tight spaces, then a swap should not be a problem.

I assume you are either keeping the H41 transmission or using an H55F. Other gearboxes are too big for the rear shaft to fit properly.

That said, I would go with a 1HD-FT. This engine fits your simplicity and reliability criteria. Enough power, no need to tinker around to fit a turbo.

However, I would also keep the 1HD-FTE as an option. Electrics/electronics can be tricky to assemble/set up but once you get them working properly they are very reliable. And it also produces a lot of power.

Juan

Hello,

There is a detail missing on the Pros/Cons section: size.

1HZ/1HD engines are big. Both are a tight fit in a 40 Series engine bay. Not much room to move them should you need a couple inches for proper transmission mating. Not much room to move to accommodate the radiator or the fan either.

If you are comfortable working around in tight spaces, then a swap should not be a problem.

I assume you are either keeping the H41 transmission or using an H55F. Other gearboxes are too big for the rear shaft to fit properly.

That said, I would go with a 1HD-FT. This engine fits your simplicity and reliability criteria. Enough power, no need to tinker around to fit a turbo.

However, I would also keep the 1HD-FTE as an option. Electrics/electronics can be tricky to assemble/set up but once you get them working properly they are very reliable. And it also produces a lot of power.

Juan
Thanks Juan. I have a brand new H55F for my 2F right now. I’ll have to swap input shafts but should be good to go.

I have Crushers engine swap kit, so the layout of the engine should be good.

How much does a 1HD-FT weigh? I’ve read they’re about 750lbs. Whereas the 2F is about 780lbs. Either way it seems like they’re comparable weight-wise.

Any one of those will rock in the 40, but Juan does bring up some good practical points regarding fitment in a 40.

I can only imagine putting my 1HZ-T that's in my 60 into my FJ40. That thing would fly!

FT.

It's when they fixed the crank oiling issues which caused the BEB failures, 24V breathes better and is more efficient.

Do you have verification somewhere to this? The website is long dead however there was a fellow in Europe ((Willem-Jan Markerink) who delved into this in the days the DTLC mailing list was active and there were reports of 1HD-FT's having pitting issues. But much less frequent. Same for the 1HZ. I seen the BEB's of an HZ that came over in a crate (looks to have been turbo'd at some point) and the bearings were pitted on it.

Thanks
gb

Many if not all of woes fund in 1HZ's and 1HDT's have been corrected with 1HD-FT. Size wise it is identical to HZ and HDT, the head is a little wider to accommodate the 24 valves but the components, engine mounts, etc are the same. I swapped an FT to replace a tired old HZ and it was a direct fit. It has completely transformed the vehicle and puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. The power is incredible, easily compares to a 4.7 V8, driveability and feel is on par with any modern gas engine, while getting amazing fuel mileage. It is hands down the best Toyota diesel engine ever made, if you are in the market, I would hold out for an FT. Let me know if you have more questions about it.

Many if not all of woes fund in 1HZ's and 1HDT's have been corrected with 1HD-FT. Size wise it is identical to HZ and HDT, the head is a little wider to accommodate the 24 valves but the components, engine mounts, etc are the same. I swapped an FT to replace a tired old HZ and it was a direct fit. It has completely transformed the vehicle and puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. The power is incredible, easily compares to a 4.7 V8, driveability and feel is on par with any modern gas engine, while getting amazing fuel mileage. It is hands down the best Toyota diesel engine ever made, if you are in the market, I would hold out for an FT. Let me know if you have more questions about it.

Cool!

What kind of mileage do you get with the FT in your 77?

Woes - what woes?
Like no EGR doohickies?

BEBs?
Toyota never used an H55 behind a turbo HD motor. Curious what the H55 longevity would be?
Aren’t there quite a few V8 Cruisers with H55s? I’m sure some of the V8s make at least 300hp and 300lb-ft at the flywheel. They could probably comment on the longevity, but I dont think it’s a problem.

Gearing maybe, but not durability.

Ive been running an H55 behind an FT, with the smaller 275mm flywheel and heavy duty terrain tamer clutch. I was told the FT has too much torque and power for that setup. I've had this setup for 3 years with no clutch slippage or noticed any degradation in the transmission. With that said, I do not think the H55 is well suited for the US type of driving, where cruising speeds are much higher then Japan or other parts, irregardless of the type of motor. First gear is too low making it useless on the road, good for crawling, overdrive also sucks, causing high revs when cruising. Although synchronized, it is older tech so the shifting is clunky and not effortless like the newer transmissions. I am actually getting ready to swap in an H151 which was paired with the FT and FTE by Toyota and comes with a large flywheel and finer spline input shaft, curious to see how they compare.

BEBs?

Aren’t there quite a few V8 Cruisers with H55s? I’m sure some of the V8s make at least 300hp and 300lb-ft at the flywheel. They could probably comment on the longevity, but I dont think it’s a problem.

Gearing maybe, but not durability.
The V8 get a H150 or H152. Toyota never put a h55 behind anything with more power than 1HZ. The 1HD# and 1FZ in the 80 got H151, which has a taller first and second. H152 has short first from h150, second from 152 and a taller 5th

The V8 get a H150 or H152. Toyota never put a h55 behind anything with more power than 1HZ. The 1HD# and 1FZ in the 80 got H151, which has a taller first and second. H152 has short first from h150, second from 152 and a taller 5th

Apologies, I didn't speak clearly. I am not trying to put a V8 in my truck. But the reliability and durability of the H55F (paired with a 1HD-T or 1HD-FT) was in question.

I was simply saying, lots of Land Cruiser FJ40 guys have mated a SBC V8 with a H55F 5-speed. Some of those V8s had the same (or more) power/torque as any stock 1HD-FT. I assume those V8 swaps with H55s are holding up fine. The H55F doesn't know which motor is in front of it. Just how much power and torque it needs to transmit. Plus, @Loober is running the 1HD-FT w/ H55F setup without issue. No clutch slipping or transmission degradation.

I've been running an H55 behind an FT, with the smaller 275mm flywheel and heavy duty terrain tamer clutch...I've had this setup for 3 years with no clutch slippage or noticed any degradation in the transmission. With that said, I do not think the H55 is well suited for the US type of driving, where cruising speeds are much higher then Japan or other parts, irregardless of the type of motor. First gear is too low making it useless on the road, good for crawling. Overdrive also sucks, causing high revs when cruising. Although synchronized, it is older tech so the shifting is clunky and not effortless like the newer transmissions. I am actually getting ready to swap in an H151 which was paired with the FT and FTE by Toyota and comes with a large flywheel and finer spline input shaft, curious to see how they compare.

Yes, the H151 and H152 is better suited to the 1HD-T or 1HD-FT because of the gearing. But aren't they too long for a 40 series chassis?

Apologies, I didn't speak clearly. I am not trying to put a V8 in my truck. But the reliability and durability of the H55F (paired with a 1HD-T or 1HD-FT) was in question.

I was simply saying, lots of Land Cruiser FJ40 guys have mated a SBC V8 with a H55F 5-speed. Some of those V8s had the same (or more) power/torque as any stock 1HD-FT. I assume those V8 swaps with H55s are holding up fine. The H55F doesn't know which motor is in front of it. Just how much power and torque it needs to transmit. Plus, @Loober is running the 1HD-FT w/ H55F setup without issue. No clutch slipping or transmission degradation.

Yes, the H151 and H152 is better suited to the 1HD-T or 1HD-FT because of the gearing. But aren't they too long for a 40 series chassis?
Sorry, my bad - I was thinking 1VD when you said V8. The H15# are longer than H55 so might be a problem in SWB 40 series

Never had a problem after 10 years with ACL bearings.

Have you had them out to check?

The oiling issues on those motors are well established. Changing bearings doesn't stop the problem, it just resets the clock.

The H55 is plenty stout for most engines that would be reasonable choices for a cruiser. I'd imagine you would start breaking other parts, (e.g. engine internals or axle shafts), before the transmission suffered a catastrophic mechanical failure.

I can only imagine putting my 1HZ-T that's in my 60 into my FJ40. That thing would fly!
Having driven around in sand dunes with a friend and his 1HZ-T FJ40... I can confirm that it indeed does fly. :steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom