What are your goals for 2020? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

smittycrusher

"Hey big guy, you a golfer" - Roger Dorn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.morganstanleyfa.com
Could be mods, could be trips, trails, etc. Let's here what you are wanting to get yourself into this year!

- I am planning to run the Rubicon Trail in July. I can't wait as this has been a bucket list item since I started building my 80 in 2004.
- I also plan to finish the build by installing the RCV front axles/birfs that are sitting in my garage. I just got the rear axle rebuilt and RCVs installed last week.
- Also need to install my rebuilt steering box (with 105 sector shaft and pitman arm).
- I have also started building some drawers for the rear.

Hopefully all of that will be complete by March so I can drive it out to Salt Lake for the next Land Cruiser Heritage Museum board meeting. I plan to keep it out West all Summer/Fall. Don't worry, even though I will be getting off road, I will stick to my Pavement Pounding roots by putting a 5,000 or so highway miles on it this year :rofl:

Smitty

Smitty, et al
I might be a poor fit here, but what the heck … I am a poor fit everywhere. Here is my Land Cruiser field of view in 2020

TLCA Events
RoundUp [March near Mason Tx] - Bride and our grandson will be driving out for the week. Expect to be driving the '95 FZJ80
Relic Run [April, wish list at this point]
GSMTR [June, Windrock] - I have been able to attend every GSMTR since '97. Make it a week long stay. This year will be very different since Sport will be taking her boards then. The BJ70 should be back in service by then
CMCC [July, Rausch Creek Pa] - The trails and the people have always made attending Coal Miner a worthwhile trip. Depending on if family joins me, the BJ70 or the FZJ80 will be making the trip.

Shop Plans (Cruisers only)
BJ70
- Complete the overhaul/re-installation of the 3B and get her back in service. The overhaul kit is purchased and on the way from down-under. The block and head are prep'd and at Goza's waiting on the parts. The Injector pump/Turbo/Injectors have been overhauled and are ready for re-installation on an overhauled motor.
FZJ80 - Finish fabrication of 2nd swing out on the rear bumper, then design/fab storage system for cargo area.
FJ40 Sept - Start re-assembly after frame off resto. Most of the sheet metal has completed re-paint. Likely to carry over into next year as work and other priority needs may get in way.
FJ40 Aug - Replace front spring pivot brackets that were damaged from running swampers for years that would never balance.
3B II Baseline - Get spare 3B II engine running then baseline it. Once baselined, make decision on keeping for possible future dreams or sell it

Now to make it happen.

Last edited:
Gambler 500 at least the same 3 events I made last year. But this year I hope to have a Lincoln Town car for my off road adventures, The car is in my possession work has slowly started

Maybe a small lift on the 200
The FJC does not need much. Add a second set of lights

My goals are a bit less aspiring.
I need to replace the radiator in the BJ73 and work on the dented drivers door.

Penny needs front bearings serviced and desperately need sway bar links and bushings.

I hope to make GSMTR as usual and get to help out and write another well received mag article. I wanted to do one last year for a second mag but did not have everything I needed to do it.

I really have wanted to drive the GA Traverse but not sure when time will permit. I have a good friend with a J**p who I am certain will want to go if he can get the time off.

My biggest goal is to get out of my temporary rental and into a permanent place with adequate shop space. Met with a builder friend today. Pretty sure that will be out of reach but it is worth a look.

One last thing - I very much need more exercise.

After standing next to me last Saturday at the meet-n-greet, you should be seeing yourself as a fitness Adonis. :barefoot:
Great that you are back to Georgia.

I'm in a transition stage with my "overlanding plan". Currently have a RTT on top of Dig-Dug and it will be moved to Fygar (M416) once I build the rack to hold it.
The plan is to build it on the Prinsu crossmembers, so that I can transfer it back to the roof with minimal effort. Once I finalize the trailer, I can reinstall my solar panel on the roof. After that it's just keeping up with maintenance and trail repairs.

LenzSnorkel (1).JPG

IMG_3105.JPG
IMG_3111.JPG

On deck for 2020 events:
Morris Mtn with Upstate Cruiser 02/22
Round Up with Lone Star Land Cruisers 03/18
Considering Rubithon in June...or a trip out west somewhere with my friend @Onur
Considering CLCC Fall Crawl event in Oct...
If we do half of these, then that nixes the CLC Southern Cruiser Crawl in Oct which we haven't missed in many years, but we're all about seeing every corner of this country.

OK, just checked and Rubithon registration opened up last week, so I went ahead and registered. I haven't even told my wife, so let's keep that a secret for a bit, please.

Trips/Trails:

1. RoundUp with wife. She flies in and out, I drive a famous 55 on loan for the event. :)

2. Rubithon: either Wagon Run committee or renegade with Sully out of Truckee borrowing his 40.

3. The American Southwest: July 15-Aug. 20: AirBnB rental in the canyon country. 70 gets shipped out. Wife driving 100 and river gear to Grand Junction. Hope to see friends come through on their journeys and put together some trips. Henry Mtns and HITR at top of exploration list. And lots of river running (Green, Colorado, San Juan).

4. SCC: another fly and wheel scenario with wife hopefully.

5. Random meet-ups with cruiser friends during my work travels. (a small consolation while being on the road three weeks of the month).

Trucks:

100 series: I’d like new UCAs for it. Gotta do some front bearing repack and brake check. Need to get some BS emission components repaired too. Otherwise, ready to rock out west.

70: doing a tan to gray interior conversion. Repositioning engine gauges into dash. Install intercooler before shipping west for summer. Front bearing repack and rear bearing repack. Install new gas tank.

OK, just checked and Rubithon registration opened up last week, so I went ahead and registered. I haven't even told my wife, so let's keep that a secret for a bit, please.
How much is this secret worth to you? o_O ;):hillbilly:

Had to make an update, since I found a new rig. Not in any particular order:

1. Sell my 1999 100 Series.

2. Finish out the 80 series (Good to go now, but a few things I want to fix and add).

3. Buy or build a trailer instead of hauling a RTT on my rig.

4. Carolina Relic Run.

5. Georgia Traverse.

6. GSMTR.

7. Trans American Trail.

8. Logan's Run.

9. Meet some other cruiser heads from the area. I met some amazing people and have made some great friends through ONSC. I spent the last 20 Years in the Marine Corps living mainly in California and North Carolina and before that I was grew up in Nebraska and don't know anyone or much about Georgia other than the location is fantastic. I recently retired and we moved down here to be close to my wife's family.

10. Find and purchase house instead of wasting money renting.

11. Go Dawgs and Cornhuskers!

Last edited:

3. Potentially buy and build a 1991 PZJ77 I am debating on (Will need to track down a front bumper, rear bumper with tire carrier, fabricate or track down sliders, 24v winch, potentially change out suspension lift that is currently on it, track down a clutch)

Welcome to Georgia. If you find a 77 that meets your needs, the 70 series section has threads on bumpers, winch and other 70s unique accessories. Good luck with the finding the right truck and home.

Not in any particular order:

1. Sell my 1999 100 Series (after transferring the Slee Rear Bumper to the 2006).

2. Build my 2006 100 Series (Deciding on which winch bumper, winch, remove AHC and add Dobinsons 2.5 Suspension, UCA's, Diff Drop, install my Slee rear bumper, add my sliders, roof rack and one of my roof top tents).

3. Potentially buy and build a 1991 PZJ77 I am debating on (Will need to track down a front bumper, rear bumper with tire carrier, fabricate or track down sliders, 24v winch, potentially change out suspension lift that is currently on it, track down a clutch)

4. Purchase and build an 80 Series if I don't snag the PZJ77.

5. Carolina Relic Run.

6. Georgia Traverse.

7. GSMTR.

8. Trans American Trail.

9. Logan's Run.

10. Meet some other cruiser heads from the area. I met some amazing people and have made some great friends through ONSC. I spent the last 20 Years in the Marine Corps living mainly in California and North Carolina and before that I was grew up in Nebraska and don't know anyone or much about Georgia other than the location is fantastic. I recently retired and we moved down here to be close to my wife's family.

11. Find and purchase house instead of wasting money renting.

11. Go Dawgs and Cornhuskers!

If you snag a HZJ77 add the 6th Annual 70 Series Meet & Greet to your to-do list and GO DAWGS. :)

As a moderator and GT alum, I don’t think we can tolerate all of this “Go Dwags” nonsense.

DE05A803-1E26-49DE-B078-3F002D906385.jpeg

Last edited:
Rewriting my build plan for now. I've been talked into not dragging the M416 across the country and leaving it parked during the Rubicon. RTT is gonna stay on the R for now. Practice run is the Round Up in TX next week. Running light as I ever have on tools and spares (just the bare minimum). I emptied the cargo area in the back and repacked. Lost about 100lbs in doing away with duplicates and gear that I hardly ever used.

Cleanup (3).JPG

Cleanup (4).JPG

My goals are a bit less aspiring.
I need to replace the radiator in the BJ73 and work on the dented drivers door. CHECK IT OFF

Penny needs front bearings serviced and desperately need sway bar links and bushings.

I hope to make GSMTR as usual and get to help out and write another well received mag article. I wanted to do one last year for a second mag but did not have everything I needed to do it.

I really have wanted to drive the GA Traverse but not sure when time will permit. I have a good friend with a J**p who I am certain will want to go if he can get the time off.

My biggest goal is to get out of my temporary rental and into a permanent place with adequate shop space. Met with a builder friend today. Pretty sure that will be out of reach but it is worth a look. CLOSING ON A HOUSE JUNE 1

So far some of this stuff is getting done......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom