Acquiring a 1995/96 Omani Model 75 Troopy - have I gone mad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not Oman or UAE, but when I bought my Troopy out of France, we discovered that there was a mistake in the VIN number on the paperwork (one digit off). It had probably been there since the car was new, and no one ever noticed since the car had never changed hands before I bought it (i.e. I bought it from the original owner).

I knew I'd need all matching numbers paperwork to get it past US Customs, and also to get it registered in CO. The French authorities wouldn't issue new paperwork without a letter from Toyota confirming the correct VIN, plus a visual inspection of the car. Luckily, the seller was super cooperative and helped get everything in order before we shipped it the the USA. Which is good, because the car was in France, the shipping port was in Belgium, and I live in the USA (Colorado), but was actually living in Australia at the time all this was going on!

Moral of the story: It can be done with patience and cooperative local assistance. Hang in there!

Hi all, I'm happy to report that I was able to register the truck in Dubai after much effort by several individuals, and a couple of trips to the border. This all happened while I was away in the US driving from Virginia to Salt Lake with my younger boy in a 1992 RJ77. Everything was set up for me upon my return to get plates.

Once I had plates, I took a drive with my mechanic. I knew there was a problem of a horrible noise at 55kph or above. When my mechanics got into it they discovered it was a stripped spline on the passenger side. I mentioned this in another post that got no response.

Anyways, my mechanics sourced a machine shop that welded up the worn splines and then cut new ones. We will see how these last:
1567860950852.png

1567861046278.png

Axels... heat treat.... annealing... hmmm.....

Hi all, I'm happy to report that I was able to register the truck in Dubai after much effort by several individuals, and a couple of trips to the border. This all happened while I was away in the US driving from Virginia to Salt Lake with my younger boy in a 1992 RJ77. Everything was set up for me upon my return to get plates.

Once I had plates, I took a drive with my mechanic. I knew there was a problem of a horrible noise at 55kph or above. When my mechanics got into it they discovered it was a stripped spline on the passenger side. I mentioned this in another post that got no response.

Anyways, my mechanics sourced a machine shop that welded up the worn splines and then cut new ones. We will see how these last:
View attachment 2077440
View attachment 2077441
Axels... heat treat.... annealing... hmmm.....

I'm dubious that's gonna hold up.

For the money... I'd have gone to one of our Afghani mutual acquaintances and just grabbed a JDM takeoff front 70-series axle that has a factory locker in it. Or, a non-locker and replaced both of the outer axles (birfields). Maybe keep that in mind maybe as a long term fix.

I'm dubious that's gonna hold up.

For the money... I'd have gone to one of our Afghani mutual acquaintances and just grabbed a JDM takeoff front 70-series axle that has a factory locker in it. Or, a non-locker and replaced both of the outer axles (birfields). Maybe keep that in mind maybe as a long term fix.
Yeah, that is in the back of my mind too, Honger. My friend in Sharjah did have manual lockers. Might just swap it out.

EDIT / added for clarification: I should have said 'manual front locking hubs' immediately above. My friend up in Sharjah has complete front axel sets, but they are manual hubs. Which I guess does not matter at all. Might be better, now that I'm thinking about it.

Last edited:
Well today I collected the troopy from the shop. The RH front axel is back in and working. Time will tell if the weld build up and machining will hold . I tried picking it up last Thursday evening with the intention of spending Friday night on the desert (within walking distance of the road), but I only made it as far as the gas station whereupon I discovered (1) I did not have the key to the gas tank and (2) I had a faulty starter or battery or both.

The guys from the garage came and rescued the truck and gave me back my 2000 LX470 so I could drive home. And this afternoon (Monday) I went back to the garage for a second try at picking up the truck. This time I had better success.

I took it out on the sand behind the industrial area where the garage is located and it ran fine. Here's a youtube clip of my trying out the troopy in 4WD on the sand.

I decided that I wanted to simply try and drive it home to my apartment through rush hour traffic. I did have some problems. The engine tended to stall whenever I was stopped. The idle seems to be set a bit too low or the engine needs some work perhaps. The problem was less an issue when I turned off the aircon, but this does need to be fixed. Not really usable in Dubai the way it is now. Just for yucks here's a video of me driving into Dubai Marina. That's WAMU (NPR in DC) on the audio--my phone was playing that while I was driving along. You may want to turn down your volume if you watch it.

And finally, here is the troopy, safe and sound in my apartment's parking space:
1568653929553.png

I'm going to drive it for a few days, and then out to the desert this weekend, and see how I feel about all this.

I'm loving this... can't wait for the pics of the desert chillin' time.

You need to follow Cruiser Calling on Facebook or Instagram and start networking with all the Land Cruiser guys there. They've got at least one Troopy already.

I'd baseline the engine... new plugs, new plug wires, new rotor/points/cap/condenser for the distributor, rebuild the carb and/or just put a new one on and keep the old as a spare, new gaskets all the way around on the top end (intake, exhaust, valve cover, etc.), and new vacuum hoses. She'll run like a top.

I know I've been silent on this truck for a while. Bascially I've been concentrating on the other two LC's I've acquired since then--the 91 DIESEL Middle East model 75 pickup and an really interesting 1995 converted to LHD TURBO DIESEL model 81. I intend to send the pickup back to the US for my younger boy as soon as it is finished (very soon now) as a daily driver, and the Model 81 will become a daily driver for me here--I'm sending back a very nice 2000 LX470 that I currently use (it originally was a US truck).

Anyways, things are winding down on both projects and I'm coming back to the Troopy. I've got two immediate issues: I had to steal the aircon 3-box units from the Troopy to install in the pickup which did not have aircon installed--and you really need aircon in Virginia. The second issue with the Troopy is the driver's seat which is really, really tired. I had decent success redoing the lower seat cushion on the 81 so I thought I would try it on the Troopy. I do like the look of the original seat.

My new parts guy in Sharjah was able to get me a lower seat cushion:
1579520303482.png

Part number 71502-60040, which I hope is the correct foam, but even if it isn't it is a good starting point. It is from a uneven split bench 75 series so the size should be correct. I'm happy with the price, 85 USD, but mostly I'm happy that he could get it. The upper seat cushion was not available, but I don't think that is in too bad a shape.

On the aircon box, I only need the evaporator box, not all 3 boxes. I actually bought a set of three boxes for 800 AED out of what must have been a 79 series because it did not fit. Waste of little over 200 USD, but I might try massaging it with my dremmel.

The other thing I have been thinking about is getting a camper setup. One of the guys with a channel on Youtube, Andrew St. Pierre White, just did a piece on an AUS/SAFA (Australia / South Africa) company that has a pop-top setup and kitchen pull out I really liked. I've written to them and they say they will begin to sell in Dubai soon. Then it will be a question of $$....

I've you've ever wondered why I like living here, this video should explain it.

I know I've been silent on this truck for a while. Bascially I've been concentrating on the other two LC's I've acquired since then--the 91 DIESEL Middle East model 75 pickup and an really interesting 1995 converted to LHD TURBO DIESEL model 81. I intend to send the pickup back to the US for my younger boy as soon as it is finished (very soon now) as a daily driver, and the Model 81 will become a daily driver for me here--I'm sending back a very nice 2000 LX470 that I currently use (it originally was a US truck).

Anyways, things are winding down on both projects and I'm coming back to the Troopy. I've got two immediate issues: I had to steal the aircon 3-box units from the Troopy to install in the pickup which did not have aircon installed--and you really need aircon in Virginia. The second issue with the Troopy is the driver's seat which is really, really tired. I had decent success redoing the lower seat cushion on the 81 so I thought I would try it on the Troopy. I do like the look of the original seat.

View attachment 2187687
Part number 71502-60040, which I hope is the correct foam, but even if it isn't it is a good starting point. It is from a uneven split bench 75 series so the size should be correct. I'm happy with the price, 85 USD, but mostly I'm happy that he could get it. The upper seat cushion was not available, but I don't think that is in too bad a shape.

On the aircon box, I only need the evaporator box, not all 3 boxes. I actually bought a set of three boxes for 800 AED out of what must have been a 79 series because it did not fit. Waste of little over 200 USD, but I might try massaging it with my dremmel.

The other thing I have been thinking about is getting a camper setup. One of the guys with a channel on Youtube, Andrew St. Pierre White, just did a piece on an AUS/SAFA (Australia / South Africa) company that has a pop-top setup and kitchen pull out I really liked. I've written to them and they say they will begin to sell in Dubai soon. Then it will be a question of $$....

Anees, the guy you bought one of your 80’s off of, has a shop in Dubai called ANR... and he does the Alucab pop-up conversions. I think that’s who @goexplore used...

Anees, the guy you bought one of your 80’s off of, has a shop in Dubai called ANR... and he does the Alucab pop-up conversions. I think that’s who @goexplore used...

I imported it myself, before ANR started fitting them. I used another shop to fit mine, who I won't name in public, but also wouldn't recommend in the slightest.

View attachment 2187687

You need to hook me up with your Omani connection. I'm desperate to acquire a narrow nosed 71, or even a 75 Troopy as a DD, instead of racking up the kms in my 78 - 9 months on the road and passed 45k

I imported it myself, before ANR started fitting them. I used another shop to fit mine, who I won't name in public, but also wouldn't recommend in the slightest.

Hey Anees, nice to be in touch. My son and I are working every visit I have to the US on the 93 Model 80. Yeah, I am pretty concerned about finding the right shop. I've been looking and so far no joy. If I don't find a shop that I can have confidence in, I will just throw a mattress in the back of the troopy. I found some OEM floor mats up in Shajah, so it won't be on the bare metal in the back.

Hey Anees, nice to be in touch. My son and I are working every visit I have to the US on the 93 Model 80. Yeah, I am pretty concerned about finding the right shop. I've been looking and so far no joy. If I don't find a shop that I can have confidence in, I will just throw a mattress in the back of the troopy. I found some OEM floor mats up in Shajah, so it won't be on the bare metal in the back.

I'm not Anees... Sorry, think there's some confusion. Anees and Rashid own ANR.

You need to hook me up with your Omani connection. I'm desperate to acquire a narrow nosed 71, or even a 75 Troopy as a DD, instead of racking up the kms in my 78 - 9 months on the road and passed 45k
It would be my pleasure Anees. But do keep in mind that this is the same guy who suggested I pay 15,000 AED for this:
1579538585391.png

He seemed to have been serious.

(edited upon further reflection)

Last edited:
I'm not Anees... Sorry, think there's some confusion. Anees and Rashid own ANR.
Sorry, I am confused then. But no matter. I'd make the same comments to pretty much any one on Mud.

So we are getting pretty close on finishing the 91 diesel pickup and shipping it off to my son in Virginia. It's time to start looking at the troopy again.

Today I drove down to Abu Dhabi because it was a beautiful day here and I wanted to get my 2005 SL500 washed (yes, I have too many cars). That thing always has something going wrong even though it only shows 78K on the clock. Beautiful car, but as I was saying to my friend Zain today, it feels like I'm working for it rather than the other way around. If it was not so pretty and fun to drive...

Before:
1581790633724.png

After:
1581790695177.png

Took them better part of an hour to do it and they did their usual really good job at this place called the Diplomat Star. Little over 10 USD with a tip.

Part of the reason I went down there (aside from it being a beautiful day and wanting to check on whether I had a coolant leak in the SL) was just to walk around and look for a 16x8 rim for the spare on the pickup. Not much luck on the rim, but I did see this beauty:
1581790889948.png

1581790915407.png

I love the little 2-door format. I think this was from the mid-2000's and thus not something that one could bring back to the US.

I must have gone into a dozen tire places asking about a six bolt, 16 inch by 8 rim for an early Land Cruiser 70 and I always asked if they knew where I might try. Several proprietors mentioned 'scrap yards' and sort of vaguely pointed South West. Finally one guy could point to a map to an area creatively named "M5"
Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 10.26.09 PM.png

I drove down there (not actually that easy with all the round abouts and heavy traffic) but didn't see much. Finally I asked google maps for 'used auto parts' and the nearest thing that popped up was 'Red Star Used Mercedes Car Spare Parts LLC'. The SL perpetually needs something so not having a better thing to do I went to have a look. I actually ended up buying an American-spec instrument cluster for the SL just for the two little LCD screens that have gone bad in my car. I've taken that cluster apart so many times with my various experiments on repairing the LCD screens that I didn't even have it screwed in, so I was able to plug in the new instrument cluster and make sure the LCD's were ok right in the parking lot.

But you guys (and girls I on here too, I presume), don't want to know about the Merc. The good news is that to get to the used mercedes parts place I passed by several promising scrap yards...

Last edited:
I spent from 4 pm til dusk walking from yard to yard seeing what I could see. Here are a few of the photos:
1581791791082.png

1581791813173.png

These are all in post-2000 spec truck bodies I'm pretty sure...

1581791886563.png

I saw several wrecked 70 series pickups, but again all post 2000. This one had nice 16" steel wheels, but 5 bolt.

But finally I found "Emirates Youths"
1581792100704.png

That one in the front was a 2019 pickup that had just had a new body put on. There was some language difficulty but I gathered it had been in an accident.

1581792058191.png

I should at at this point that in addition to looking for a 16" rim for the spare tire on the pickup, I also was hoping to find the aircon / heater / fan boxes for the troopy, which I had stripped of its arcon to put it into the diesel pickup. I've been looking for several months now and even bought a set of boxes that I was told would work, but they didn't. So I always keep an eye out for a set to go back in the troopy. I -may- have finally gotten lucky with this poor old rust bucket:
1581792377982.png

It's hard to see it in the photo but this thing is so rusty that the entire front of the hood is jagged rusty metal, but it is a 1997 and my troopy is a 1995/1996 so I'm hoping it will fit. I need to spend some time with ToyoDIY and see. Does anyone happen to know when the 70 series transitioned--this has 6 bolt rims so that also was encouraging.

Its pretty darned rusty under there but I'm hopeful that does not mean the components inside the cab are rusty too.
1581792618837.png

Wow! it even has a heater!
1581792585011.png

That's if for now. I'm going to check the part numbers, but crossed-fingers I can get what I need from this truck

Great pics! All those cabs and beds....I'd stay in that place for hours, maybe days, poking around. Fun stuff.

I'm not an expert John but I think parts of the drive train (e.g. engine?) changed in either 1999 or 2000 and the body went to wide nose around 2006. The 97 should be more or less identical to a 95 or 96. The A/C controls are identical to my 94.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom